Mangos

Options
lilmandy89
lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
Okay so today is my fist time ever having a mango, what color is the skin when they are ripe, red or green?? and are they supposed to be soft or hard??

Replies

• lilmandy89
    Options
    Okay so today is my fist time ever having a mango, what color is the skin when they are ripe, red or green?? and are they supposed to be soft or hard??
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Soft for eating, semi-hard for cooking. I think the skin can be either color. It's high glycemic though, if you're watching that.
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    Ripe mangoes will be a reddy yellow color and sort of soft, but not mushy. If you sniff the mango you should be able to smell the sweetness from the skin.

Technically, you can also eat green mango (technically unripe and still hard), but those are a little harder to find (but you can usually find them at an asian market) and aren't really good plain.

Enjoy!

I love mangoes!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Mango's are one of my favorite fruits. I compare it to a nectarine and a peach. You don't want it too soft and you don't want to eat it hard either.
    There are so many different types of mangoes. I prefer the one that do have a little red on them. Not sure of the correct name. Sometimes I buy them hard and let them ripen with my banana's.

MMMMmmmm, Mangoes!!
  • laura69
    laura69 Posts: 6
    Options
    There is two kinds of Mango red/green and yellow one, if they are soft, you'll know if they are ripe. I prefer the yellow ones they are sweeter.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...mangos. I had to limit myself to 5 per day when I lived in Africa and I had a tree next to my house!
    You can just peel them and eat them like a sloppy apple (the fun way), or you can slice them up so you don't get the strings in your teeth and look silly (not as fun). Either way - enjoy!!
  • beep
    Options
    Mmmm...mangos. I had to limit myself to 5 per day when I lived in Africa and I had a tree next to my house!
    You can just peel them and eat them like a sloppy apple (the fun way), or you can slice them up so you don't get the strings in your teeth and look silly (not as fun). Either way - enjoy!!

We had a loaded tree in our yard while stationed in Chuuk (Micronesia) and my husband filled a basket and ate it everyday until one morning his eyes were swelled almost completely shut and he had "mango" lips. After that, he couldn't even touch one without becoming itchy. Now, 25 years later he can eat them again. I think he had vitamen A poisening!

So, if you have a tree next to your house BEWARE
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    soft both the yellow and the pinkish one. I love em to death they are super yummy but I have a mild allergy to them which is sad cause they are sooooo yummy but i eat em anyways
  • lilmandy89
    Options
    Soft for eating, semi-hard for cooking. I think the skin can be either color. It's high glycemic though, if you're watching that.

what do high glycemic foods do??
  • beep
    Options
    Just a fancy way of saying high in sugars, fructose or otherwise.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Oh...You can't have-a-da-Mango! (smack!):wink:

lmbo sorry I couldn't resist since that choppin' broccoli post I have SNL on my mind!!!

hugs!
  • beep
    Options
    I don't even know that choppin broccoli song.

Nevermind..... I just watched it. I love Dana Carvey!!! Especially in Master of Disguises.:laugh:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options

hugs!
    Bwuahahahahaha!!!! I laughed out loud and scared the cat:laugh:
    How do you all eat your Mangoes? Raw?cooked?in smoothies? I'd love some new great ideas:smile:
  • beep
    Options

hugs!
    How do you all eat your Mangoes? Raw?cooked?in smoothies? I'd love some new great ideas:smile:

:laugh: I have a recipe for mango bread, but it's on my "no no" list.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I looooooooooooooove Mangoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I grew up in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. This city is best known for the best mangoes. There are mango trees all over the place. I could walk around my neighborhood and come back with a bag full when in season. They are very different to the ones I buy here in the states though. I like to eat them raw. Here in Tx they make a mango salsa that is spicy, it is very delicious!!! I have never made it myself. Enjoy!!!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options

hugs!

:laugh: I have a recipe for mango bread, but it's on my "no no" list.
    Mail me the recipe if you don't mind. I'll make it and have a bite, well maybe a slice:wink: and take it to work. (I'm one of "those" people, make the bad stuff and let somebaody else eat it:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options

We buy two or three on sale and then cut them up and freeze them. Same with papaya. It's SO refreshing after a workout to just bite into some frozen mango. Mmmmmmmmmm...
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    When I lived in PR, we had mango trees everywhere.
    I would eat them when the skin is still green but if you want them ripe and sweet, the skin should be yellow, orange or red. Squeeze them softly and it should be firm but a bit soft.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    mm hmm that's how I love them Joanna!!

we have mangos all the time in the summer....sooo good!!!:tongue:
    I want a mango salsa recipe!!! if anyone has one!!! por favore! great on chicken and salmon!

(or I could woops it again and have another delicioso mango margarita!!! ole!_:drinker: _

hugs!
    ali
  • lilmandy89
    Options
    mm hmm that's how I love them Joanna!!

we have mangos all the time in the summer....sooo good!!!:tongue:
    I want a mango salsa recipe!!! if anyone has one!!! por favore! great on chicken and salmon!

(or I could woops it again and have another delicioso mango margarita!!! ole!_:drinker: _

hugs!
    ali

Mango Salsa Recipe

Ingredients
    1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
    1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
    1 Jalapeño chile, minced (include ribs and seeds for a hotter taste if desired)
    1 small cucumber, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
    3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
    3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
    Salt and pepper to taste

Method
    Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the salsa ends up being a little too hot or acidic for your taste, you can temper it by adding some diced avocado.