• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary,

You're not addressing the question.

Cute
  • Bananagirl32
    Options
    Sorry for the confusing question- yes I went 1,171 over my daily calorie goal. Sorry that was confusing. Don't
    Do this often at all
  • Bananagirl32
    Options
    Yes I went over my daily calorie goal. Sorry. It was a long day at work... It was a state holiday
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusing question- yes I went 1,171 over my daily calorie goal. Sorry that was confusing. Don't
    Do this often at all

What is your calorie goal?

However, you went over by a bit on one day - not a big deal in the scheme of things - just pick back up trying to hit your goal.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Technically, it takes an overage of 3500 calories to equal one pound. I can't do cheat days at all; for me it would either be the instantaneous end of the diet, or a slippery slope toward that same end. That's just the way my mindset is wired! However, theoretically if you made up for the extra calories the next day, or over the next several days, you'd be back at square one.
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    1171 calories over your goal isn't a big deal at all. If you have a 2 lb per week weight loss goal set, then you only ate 171 calories more than you burned, which is nothing.

Here's a trick I use. I have a Fitbit, and when I want a cheat I force myself to work for it. I know that a 1 hour run gets me approximately 800 calories, so on days I want to cheat I make sure that I know what I want, then I run to earn it. It often makes the cheat far less appealing lol. At the end of the day though, I never deny myself pizza or pepsi, which are my vices. I have not once had to go over my calorie goal, nor have I ever denied myself those cheats whenever I want them. I have on occassion chosen to eat one or two slices of pizza instead of the whole pizza though.

I'm only 12 weeks in, I may not be this strong forever, but for now I'm not even finding it that difficult.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    At most, almost a third of a pound of "real" gain...and that's ignoring that your calorie target likely already had a deficit built into it, so even less.

In other words, not enough to give a second thought. (However, know that the scale may actually be up a pound or two for various temporary reasons such as glycogen restoration, increased water weight, blah blah blah...but things that don't really matter...there's nothing you can *or should* do to try to offset them. In a few days, those will be gone too.)
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't make that a habit, but it's really not any big deal to pig out once in a while. If you're really feeling awful about it, work in an extra workout this week. Otherwise, blow it off.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you have your weight loss goal set to two pounds a week (most people seem to) then you ate around maintenance for the day. If you're set to lose one pound per week then you went over by 500 or 600 calories. That's not going to be a large difference in the grand scheme of things. You may see an increase on the scale over the next few days, but it's far more likely to be water weight than fat.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Instead of responding and clarifying here, she started a whole new post....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1367899-rephrasing-my-question