Fwe little Q's

Options
Hi all, I'm new to the forum section of mfp, although I have been using the app for a while now to log in my eating and exercise.
There's a couple of thing I'm still not sure of...

1. When logging in my exercise, do I log in the calories it says on my tready etc or do I go off mfp? I'm not sure how they get their calculations?

2. I haven't added any friends yet, am pretty private/ not yet confident in my weight, diet, self yet and am just curious what people can or will see in my profile?

3.I have heard that I should be trying to " burn what I eat" not sure how this works. I try to eat as close as possible to my calorie suggestion, but then I burn half of it and get the message that I'm eating too few calories.

4. also I Am in desperate need of some new good work out music, can anyone recommend any good rhythm/beat albums :)

Thanks in advance,

P.s Feel free to add me (better come out of my shell sooner or later)

Replies

• Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Here's my opinion:
    1. Both treadmill and MFP calorie burns are estimates and never as accurate as a heart rate monitor. Choose one method and stick to it. It should be roughly right.

2. Just checked your profile and all I can see is how old you are and that you're female. Nothing else. If you did fill in some bits about you eg inspirations, goals etc it would show up. You have no weight or weight loss details showing and diary is not available.

3. Make sure you eat 1200 calories regardless of what you burn. After that it depends on the method you choose for your weightloss (there are many different methods out there). But never eat under 1200 - it is not good for you.

4. It's all a matter of taste. Get the Spotify free app (or any other free music service) and see what you like. I recently downloaded RockMyRun which has some free running playlists which I use for variety.

I will add you. I log in every day and sometimes I'm chatty but generally quiet :)
  • mroo2014
    mroo2014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)

I'll try answer some of your questions but I am by no means an expert!

1. I find this to be quite tricky as well. I track my calories burned using apps on my phone, most of the time MFP is pretty much the same as the app but I normally go for the lowest number. I think if you want a more accurate number then you might want to think about getting a bodybugg or fitbit.

2. Your MFP friends won't see how much you weigh and will pretty much only see what you want them to see! They'll see when you complete your diary, if you were under your calorie goal and how much weight you've lost since you started, you can make your diary public/private as you wish... So it's pretty much like Facebook in that you can sensor who see's what. I was the same but now I'm just like 2 heads are better than one and don't mind people looking at my diary coz I'm still learning about correct nutrition and such like.

3. About burning what you eat, basically if you want a healthy and steady weightloss - you want to eat back the calories you burn off so that your net calories on MFP is the same as your calorie goal. So if you burn 400 calories a day then you have 400 extra calories to eat to bring your net value up. I battle with this a lot because I exercise twice a day and cycle 7miles to work so I should be eating all the time pretty much but I'm not hungry so in still trying to tweak it.

4. Workout music! Have you got spotify? There's some really good workout playlists on there that you can download for offline use and they get updated quite regularly! Depends what you like, I run on some mornings and find dance music a bit too much first thing at 5am so alt-J are my current choice. Or check out some of the playlists from workout cd's - they give you a good selection until you can figure out what works best for you :)

Hope this helps!
  • littlemissrose08
    littlemissrose08 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps for your reply, I had heard of spotify but didn't know of what it was, tried it out. Big Thanks for the recommendation ????