Adjusting recipes

Options
I have a quick question, when you change a recipe to switch out reg sugar for spenlda or whole milk for skim milk do you adjust the calories accordingly or leave it as the original calories with reg sugar and whole milk or anything that would lower the calories>
Just courious.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    The point of tracking your food is to get an accurate picture of what you're eating... Those kind of changes can make a big difference - it doesn't make sense NOT to recalculate the calorie/nutrition info for the adjusted recipe... I always calculate the calories/nutrition for a recipe based on the ingredients I use - even if I follow a recipe exactly, sometimes the brand you use for various ingredients can make a difference.
  • laceyvl
    Options
    I always refigure my recipes. it can be hard work but really makes a difference when using low fat or "light" products.
  • dthueson
    dthueson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree. The extra work to reconfigure my own recipes helps me know I am getting an accurate count. However, if it is something that is a burden to you and will cause you to quit, you may want to consider an alternative, especially if you are substituting a fat free item for a regular item and then using the regular recipe. In that case, I may just let it go.

Personal example, making enchiladas the other day I used a leaner beef than what was in the recipe, but I also added extra cheese. To me it was important to create the appropriate recipe.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the previous posters. That is the purpose of shaving off the calories. I usually take the difference betweent the 2 items and guess on a practical number. The more you do it the better you will get at it.