thanksgiving...uhmmm, what?!

jenna_watsonator
jenna_watsonator Posts: 99 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
so, i've got a bit of a predicament. my partner and i don't celebrate thanksgiving, but now that we are both out of the army and at home, we decided it'd be nice to cook for our family. this might sound like a dumb question...but....what do people eat on thanksgiving?! lol. i know there's turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie...but what else?? my partner and i eat unusual foods/flavor combinations so we want to fuse traditional food with maybe some kind of flair...any and all food ideas would be appreciated....so last minute, but so our style! hahahaha

Replies

• ilovecreg120809
    ilovecreg120809 Posts: 516 Member
    we have vegetables like broccoli and corn. Sweet potatoes, we usually get a small ham too because some of us dont like turkey. red beets. and the things u said. thats really it.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    turkey, rolls, mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing (can you tell it's a giant carb fest, yet?)

Instead of lunch, we usually munch on veggies & dip with chips and pretzels until Turkey is done. Then we have a nice, big dinner, followed by yummy pies and other treats. We don't drink alcohol, so we have sparkling cider instead.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Here (well, if I was cooking, which I'm not) it would be:

Turkey
    Sweet Potatoes
    Cornbread Dressing (it's a Southern thing...)
    Green Beans
    Cranberry Sauce
    Rolls
    Pumpkin pie and Chocolate Pie

Another yummy idea (that I still might steal) is asparagus... bacon-wrapped. Yum!

Oh, and deviled eggs! And iced tea to drink.

We usually do a late lunch for Thanksgiving... and then munch on leftovers for supper. :)
  • I would add some kinda of fresh salad just so that there is something other than all the carby stuff! haha Here is what I usually put in my thanksgiving salads:

baby spinache and baby romaine lettuce
    shredded carrots
    slivered almonds
    bell peppers (sliced thinly: red, yellow and green. Gives the salad a nice thanksgiving color hee hee)
    grape tomatoes
    cucumbers
    crouton (less calories without these)
    top with a light dressing
    I like poppyseed dressing it goes really nice with all the fresh veggies :)
    Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving cooking for your family! :)
This discussion has been closed.