Why I should probably stick to novels and not message boards

Options
Hey, everyone. I'm Chris, and this is about me and the depression monster who lives under my bed, with a guest appearance by the anxiety monster who hides in the closet. (Sorry... I'm kind of weird and apologize a lot. Working on that.)

This year was pretty hard on me, both mentally and physically. I think the stress of graduating and finding a job got to me, so I was in a bad way for most of the 2013-2014 school year. There were long stretches of time where I couldn't even get out of bed for long. Due to this, I put on a good chunk of weight, and boy did it show. There's nothing more demoralizing than realizing the day before graduation that none of your pants fit anymore. (The curse of being under 5 feet tall is a heavy one.)

Anyway, that motivated me to kick both monsters in the teeth. Mentally and physically I'm kind of like a level 1 novice with a training sword. I won't lie, It's been a rocky start. Still, I've lost 8 pounds so far and my pants are starting to fit slowly. The anxiety and depression are still trying to get me, but it's been a little less every day. I'm not leveled up enough to slay them both, but I don't think I have the training sword anymore. More like it's a slightly dented, kind of bent one that'll one day be super awesome and probably on fire.

Thanks for reading this, and good luck with any monsters you might be trying to slay. May your blades be super awesome and possibly on fire.

Replies

• Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    Good luck in achieving your fire sword!
  • cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    8 pounds is a great start. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
  • marricurt
    marricurt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You know what's better than a fire sword? A light saber! (I tried to insert the noise here but can't work out how to phonetically spell it). Depression and Anxiety are debilitating, soul sucking monsters, so big, big hugs to you for battling on. I hope you get to flame up your sword one day. Just remember, take one day at a time, be gentle with yourself and treat yourself well..best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    hi :) anthropology is cool :) I'm totally obsessed with paleoanthropology. See my blog: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/

And I'm 5'1" tall :)

I also used to suffer from depression and anxiety... what helped me the most was counselling/therapy with someone who really knew what she was doing, plus heavy lifting and getting outdoors a lot. Hope you find what works for you - if you go the route of therapy, then I'd recommend not relying on the NHS/insurance company (whichever it is where you live) and pay for it yourself - you get much more control over your treatment that way, plus you're likely to get the amount of therapy etc that you actually need, rather than the standard allocation for people with the same condition. This is what I did, and it worked out much more affordable than I would have thought.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed this post :) I think you should do novels. And message boards.
    Good luck on your slaying!!!
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You know what's better than a fire sword? A light saber! (I tried to insert the noise here but can't work out how to phonetically spell it). Depression and Anxiety are debilitating, soul sucking monsters, so big, big hugs to you for battling on. I hope you get to flame up your sword one day. Just remember, take one day at a time, be gentle with yourself and treat yourself well..best of luck. :flowerforyou:

I think The Simpsons attempted to with "vwing." At least, that's what Professor Frink used in the Mark Hamil episode.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Hey, 8lbs is 8lbs! That's a gallon of milk!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Nice work with the weight loss. Depression/anxiety are rough, but I also cope with those things with humor. If you haven't already discovered it, I think you would love this site:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/
  • KymbaKhan
    KymbaKhan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    5'2" and trying not to be as big around as I am tall.
    Depression/Anxiety, yay prozac, and a pretty hard couple of years behind me.
    Gallows humor FTW!
    I think you'll do great. =)