christmas gift ideas for a boy age 8-9

godblessourhome
godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
we are celebrating christmas at thanksgiving and i have no idea what to buy my nephew. his birthday is two weeks before christmas so it is a double hit (which we are also celebrating). i bought him the 3-book 'swindle' series and silly bands for his birthday so i need a toy/game/sports for christmas. anybody have any cool gift ideas in the $20-$25 range?

also i need a suggestion for his brother - a book and/or small toy, age 5.

please hhhheeeellllpppp!!!!

Replies

• godblessourhome
    oooh, and a stocking stuffer idea for my niece, age 4. maybe around $10?
  • Most boys I know love lego...star wars lego....love it! My little girl loves dress up clothes...

Just some ideas!
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Yeah I was going to say legos or a gift card to the Lego store.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Anything Transformer or Car related
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    I have a 9 year old boy and I definately agree with the lego idea, specifically Star War legos.

Other ideas, Hot wheels has a new remote control car that you can pick up for about 20 bucks (Our Toys R Us has them for 19.99). Yu-Gi-Oh cards are also on my son's list.

I have 4 year old neices and they are all about princesses. You can get a dress up set at Wal-mart or other toy stores and they will wear the heels and tiara all day. Fake makeup (I don't mean the plastic stuff but stuff that goes on like lipstick but is actually a clear lipgloss that kind of thing).

Good luck and enjoy your holidays.

Eva
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    My 8 year old wants Beyblades...and from what it looks like, it's a popular Christmas gift. Me myself, have never heard of it
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    lego star wars

(have a 9 year old son - he LOVES them)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I was thinking Legos too (and glad to hear everyone else say it! My almost 5 year old is getting real Legos this Christmas and I am glad to know they will still be used in 3 years!). I know a few 10 year olds who are really into Mighty Beanz too... but I'd go for classic Legos any day.

For the five year old -- art supplies, Lite Brite (they have a cool flat screen one now!), games (Walmart has a good selection of reasonably priced ones -- Monopoly Jr., Yahtzee, Jr., etc. and they have some new U-Build games where you make the game board too). Good books are Berenstein Bears books, early readers, or any book about something he is into!

For the 4 year old -- a Sing-a-ma-jig! Stickers, doll accessories, more art supplies :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I have an 8 year old...i bought him UNO, books (like percey jackson and the lightening thief, or sir fartsalot adventures), clothes, video games, those battle gerbils (i don't get it, they're dumb but he really wanted them), batman and plastic man, air hogs, hotwheels case and some more cars, there's also hotwheels that you can take apart and rebuild into monster trucks, mighty beans, pokemon cards, comic books, hats, new touque and mitts (i live in canada, you can never have to many touques and mitts)...um...oh yeah i bought him some teenybopper cd's (god i hate justin bieber)...that's about it that i can think of...not overly pricey either...
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Some of the things on my 8 year olds wish list are Legos (Star Wars), Kung Zhu special forces, Mighty Beanz, Pokeman, and another Diary of a Wimpy Kid book.

I agree with a lot of other - anything princess for the 4 year old. I don't know if her ears are pierced - but my girls love getting jewelry and hair do-dads (they're 6 and 4)
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    My almost 9 year old son is into those Mighty Beanz, too. I'm going to get him some more of them, a carry case, and a ramp. He also really wants a Paper Guitar (I've seen it at WalMart and Toys R Us. They run about $25 if I remember). He's also really into books about facts -- Guiness, Book of Lists, Ripley's and Almanacs. And of course the Wimpy Kid books!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Check out clearanced video games. Most kids are willing to play anything. You could purchase a few board games too, in case he doesn't have a game system. Just make sure you pick something that is compatible. You could scope out the places I listed below and look for "boy" toys as well.

For the girl, most are happy with makeup type things or maybe a doll. You should check out a place like Big Lots, the Dollar Tree or Dollar store. It won't be name brand, but it will be something nice for the price.

I'm going to be doing some shopping for teenagers soon. I always get names of disadvantaged kids from church. This year I have two girls and a boy, all teenagers. Never shopped for this group before, so it should be interesting!:-D

Shannon
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    K'nex-my 8 y/o loves these, we got his 2nd hand-a large roller coaster to build. But there are smaller sets too.
    Kung Zhu's
    Star wars lego
    remote control vehicle

4 y/o girl-anything princess or maybe Dora, dress up clothes/shoes
  • godblessourhome
    thanks for the help! all really great suggestions!

i can't believe the number of people mentioning legos. my 9-year-old son and nephew HATE them (but strangely my 7-year-old loves them). those two boys must be weirdos. lol.

i ended up buying:
    an ice cream maker and zhu zhu hamster for the 9-year-old,
    the book 'stink' and a 'how to train your dragon' egg and figurine for the 5-year-old,
    and a real pets bunny for the 4-year-old niece.

whew! glad that is done!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Oh those are great gifts! you did well lol..now that everyone mentioned diary of a wimpy kid, i think i'm going to get Ash a few of them...he loved the movie, and yesterday i bought him a "journal" to practice writing stories in...so i'm going to scoop a couple of the books to read to him at night too...thanx guys!
This discussion has been closed.