Ray Rice gets two game suspension

Options

Replies

• Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think my favorite part of this is the fact that the NFL issued a 16-game suspension to Cleveland Browns Josh Gordon, who tested positive for weed. Ergo, we can safely conclude that the NFL thinks pot is 8 times worse than punching a woman.

Again, no matter how it looks publicly, they have to follow union rules. The rules prohibit drug use. Gordon was hit a few times on failed drug tests, so it wasn't a first offense. Domestic abuse isn't covered under the rules, even though it should be. So the fact that they suspended him at all for it is surprising.

Meh. I'm not passing moral judgement on the NFL rules. Just pointing out my favorite facts.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I don't think he should get suspended, it had nothing to do with the sport or his job....
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I think my favorite part of this is the fact that the NFL issued a 16-game suspension to Cleveland Browns Josh Gordon, who tested positive for weed. Ergo, we can safely conclude that the NFL thinks pot is 8 times worse than punching a woman.

Again, no matter how it looks publicly, they have to follow union rules. The rules prohibit drug use. Gordon was hit a few times on failed drug tests, so it wasn't a first offense. Domestic abuse isn't covered under the rules, even though it should be. So the fact that they suspended him at all for it is surprising.

Meh. I'm not passing moral judgement on the NFL rules. Just pointing out my favorite facts.

I get that, and while I agree with you, was just explaining the most likely reason why it happened.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Should be at least 8 months in prison

FIFY
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Josh Gordon is facing a year suspension for marijuana compared to Rice's 2 game suspension for punching a woman in the face and knocking her unconscious.

How does everyone feel about that?

Don't blame the NFL for that.

The players association negotiated all drug related penalties in the collective bargaining agreement in 2010.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You get a two game suspension for not pulling your socks up.

OR

You get a two game suspension for abusing a woman.

Seems legit.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't think he should get suspended, it had nothing to do with the sport or his job....

I do wonder where the line will get drawn with personal life vs. professional life...
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Why is he not in jail?

BC she didnt press charges
  • BoatsnHose
    Options
    You get a two game suspension for not pulling your socks up.

OR

You get a two game suspension for abusing a woman.

Seems legit.

Once again, the uniform policy is negotiated by the players association in the collective bargaining agreement. Players have no one to blame but themselves because they helped create and accepted the penalties for uniform and drug violations.
  • Swaggs51
    Options
    Josh Gordon is facing a year suspension for marijuana compared to Rice's 2 game suspension for punching a woman in the face and knocking her unconscious.

The players association negotiated all drug related penalties in the collective bargaining agreement in 2010.

That is true. its not the NFL its their Union
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You can get away with anything if you are a pro athlete, plea bargain and commit to a intervention program.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Wait, why can't people blame the NFL? If the NFL thought domestic violence should be a punishable offense, then wouldn't they have rules regarding it? I confess I'm not super clear on the politics behind pro-sports, but this is how it would work in any other situation.

"Oh, people are protesting and upset over something that just happened? Well, let's make a law/rule to prevent that from happening again."
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I would never defend a guy that hits women, but she still married him. Does she love him that much or is she in it for the money?

IF she was, if she's really so awful that she only wants his cash, does that give him the right to beat her?

Simmer down. No one ever said he had the right.
  • BoatsnHose
    Options

Wait, why can't people blame the NFL? If the NFL thought domestic violence should be a punishable offense, then wouldn't they have rules regarding it? I confess I'm not super clear on the politics behind pro-sports, but this is how it would work in any other situation.

"Oh, people are protesting and upset over something that just happened? Well, let's make a law/rule to prevent that from happening again."

Because clearly the NFL doesn't feel that way about domestic violence. If people don't like the policy, they don't have to support the league. The NFL won't skip a beat.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

The reason why is because one breaks the NFL rules, one doesn't. Just like your job wouldn't fire you for hitting a woman most likely, but you could get fired for failing a drug test. ****ty, but that's how it is.

Its truly is ****ty and off the charts as far as the level of hypocrisy goes.....even for the NFL.

NFL claims to be "family friendly" where wardrobe malfunctions are a sheer travesty that ruins entire families lives. The NFL has also placed an extremely high emphasis on player safety, and concussions in particular. Many players have stated that they use marijuana for pain management (and will continue whether its legal or not) and has been shown to provide other medical benefits; yet its more important to focus on the stigma that it carries from years of negative propaganda. But I agree, for now, at the moment, its not allowed and people should accept the consequences. But there should also be consequences to aggravated assault ....

Here the NFL is offered an opportunity to maintain itself as a "family friendly" organization and be consistent with its decisions for disciplinary action for conduct off the field. (which I am pretty sure breaks NFL rules) It failed miserably. After seeing a measly 2 game suspension for this, what kind of message is this sending to the general public (especially after hearing repeatedly from the commissioners office that off the field misconduct will not be tolerated). Players have been "dismissed from the team" for BEING LATE TO PRACTICE. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/11/report-patriots-put-spikes-on-ir-after-he-was-late-to-practice/ So what this says to me is that the NFL places no more emphasis on one of its players punching women in the face as it does in missing team meetings. The only thing I have to say to that it is that its FN BS.

Apparently the Domestic Violence Batterers' Treatment Program needs to be retaken every few years.
    0817-chad-johnson-certificate-2.jpg

2 years ago Chad Johnson allegedly headbutted his then wife. The headbutt allegedly was severe enough to cause bleeding and she had to go to the hospital. The NFLs reaction? Nothing. The Miami Dolphins released him soon after that and he was never disciplined further by the league. Chad is now playing professional football in Canada.
  • Swaggs51
    Options

I feel the same but its not the NFL itself per say. when it comes to things like punishments that have direct impact on a players income, the players union has control over that
  • sixout
    Options

Because the union and the NFL negotiate rules together. The NFL can't just say something and have it happen just like that.
  • sixout
    Options

The reason why is because one breaks the NFL rules, one doesn't. Just like your job wouldn't fire you for hitting a woman most likely, but you could get fired for failing a drug test. ****ty, but that's how it is.

Its truly is ****ty and off the charts as far as the level of hypocrisy goes.....even for the NFL.

NFL claims to be "family friendly" where wardrobe malfunctions are a sheer travesty that ruins entire families lives. The NFL has also placed an extremely high emphasis on player safety, and concussions in particular. Many players have stated that they use marijuana for pain management (and will continue whether its legal or not) and has been shown to provide other medical benefits; yet its more important to focus on the stigma that it carries from years of negative propaganda. But I agree, for now, at the moment, its not allowed and people should accept the consequences. But there should also be consequences to aggravated assault ....

Here the NFL is offered an opportunity to maintain itself as a "family friendly" organization and be consistent with its decisions for disciplinary action for conduct off the field. (which I am pretty sure breaks NFL rules) It failed miserably. After seeing a measly 2 game suspension for this, what kind of message is this sending to the general public (especially after hearing repeatedly from the commissioners office that off the field misconduct will not be tolerated). Players have been "dismissed from the team" for BEING LATE TO PRACTICE. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/11/report-patriots-put-spikes-on-ir-after-he-was-late-to-practice/ So what this says to me is that the NFL places no more emphasis on one of its players punching women in the face as it does in missing team meetings. The only thing I have to say to that it is that its FN BS.

Apparently the Domestic Violence Batterers' Treatment Program needs to be retaken every few years.

2 years ago Chad Johnson allegedly headbutted his then wife. The headbutt allegedly was severe enough to cause bleeding and she had to go to the hospital. The NFLs reaction? Nothing. The Miami Dolphins released him soon after that and he was never disciplined further by the league. Chad is now playing professional football in Canada.

Suspensions cost the players money. It then becomes a union thing, which has already been negotiated. They can't just take money out of your pocket for something you did outside of your job, especially when charges were not filed, and he didn't go to jail.
  • BoatsnHose
    Options
    Some people aren't understanding this

Drug violation - violation of NFL rules with an established punishment
    Uniform issue - violation of NFL rules with an established punishment
    Domestic violence - not a violation of NFL rules with no established punishment and is at the discretion of the commissioner.

Again, the players union and the league negotiate these things. If fans don't like these rules and feel so strongly against them, they can stop supporting the NFL.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Suspensions cost the players money. It then becomes a union thing, which has already been negotiated. They can't just take money out of your pocket for something you did outside of your job, especially when charges were not filed, and he didn't go to jail.

Yeah, its a good thing Ray Rice didnt hit his wife with the crown of his helmet, otherwise it would have been a 5 game suspension and $100,000 fine