Am I crazy? Yes, yes, I am!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
So I just signed up for my very first MUD RUN!!!!! EEEEEEEEKKKKK!

My 8 year old daughter is going to join me along with one of my friends. It's a family run, only 2 miles, so I'm sure it's perfect for my daughter and me. My daughter is very hesitant since she's a bit on the "girly" side. lol. I'm sure we'll have TONS of fun! I'm trying to get my husband to join us but he's perfectly happy to just take some pics. :laugh:

Any tips for our first mud run would be greatly appreciated! The run is Sept. 20th and then 4 days after that we leave for Florida for out Disney cruise!:drinker:

I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOO PSYCHED TO DO THIS!!!!!!

Replies

• triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I have no tips as I've never ran a race in my life but I think it's great that you are doing it with your daughter. My oldest son just turned 9 and I've been trying to talk him into running with me...I think he would love to do a mud run. Have fun!!
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Haven't done one yet, so no tips. I'm very excited for you. That sounds like a lot of fun!
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've never done the Mud Run-- I did take my daughter with me to do Run or Dye 5k--she absolutely loved it!

The only advice I can give is have fun and enjoy each others company!
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yay for you both! I did my 1st mudrun last October, then MuckFest MS in Boston this past April, and am heading to do Tough Mountain TOMORROW! They are so much fun! I'm by no means a professional, but I've learned a couple things:

- Get muddy/wet/dirty as soon as possible so you just stop thinking about it and can focus on the obstacles and the running, etc. And hey, the point is to get muddy, so just go with it. The pictures will be awesome.

- Duct tape your sneakers, depending on how deep the mud may be. If the mud is really thick and deep your sneakers may stretch and get suctioned off. Duct tape doesn't stretch. Plus you'll look like a pro.

- Wear tight clothing. The wetter and muddier you get, the further and further down that big old t-shirt your wore will hang. It's really hard to move with wet cotton hanging down to your knees.

- Wear capris that go down below your knees, or pants (if there are obstacles). I destroyed my knees in my 1st mudrun while crawling in shorts... wore capris in my 2nd one and the difference was amazing.

- Wear gloves. Fingerless ones preferably. You don't want to worry about scraping and splinters, etc. And, again, you'll look cooler.

Lastly, have FUN! I love that your daughter is doing it with you! My daughter can't wait to be old enough to go with me. Making awesome memories!!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Yay for you both! I did my 1st mudrun last October, then MuckFest MS in Boston this past April, and am heading to do Tough Mountain TOMORROW! They are so much fun! I'm by no means a professional, but I've learned a couple things:

- Get muddy/wet/dirty as soon as possible so you just stop thinking about it and can focus on the obstacles and the running, etc. And hey, the point is to get muddy, so just go with it. The pictures will be awesome.

- Duct tape your sneakers, depending on how deep the mud may be. If the mud is really thick and deep your sneakers may stretch and get suctioned off. Duct tape doesn't stretch. Plus you'll look like a pro.

- Wear tight clothing. The wetter and muddier you get, the further and further down that big old t-shirt your wore will hang. It's really hard to move with wet cotton hanging down to your knees.

- Wear capris that go down below your knees, or pants (if there are obstacles). I destroyed my knees in my 1st mudrun while crawling in shorts... wore capris in my 2nd one and the difference was amazing.

- Wear gloves. Fingerless ones preferably. You don't want to worry about scraping and splinters, etc. And, again, you'll look cooler.

Lastly, have FUN! I love that your daughter is doing it with you! My daughter can't wait to be old enough to go with me. Making awesome memories!!!

All this. Plus:

- Bring sunscreen. You'll need it.

- Bring a towel and a trash bag for after. You're going to want to change into something clean, so you need something to wipe yourself down and somewhere to put your dirty clothes.

- Don't wear sunglasses. I know it can get bright, but it is really easy to lose them on a lot of the obstacles.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!!!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much everyone! I wish it was tomorrow!