The social elephant (sarcasm included)

Options
**** My posts are not to be taken seriously or as advice. I use humor to get through my experiences and my struggles****

Today was a rough day ...well, so far. Geez its only 10am.
I woke up late.
I got to work late.
I am behind at work due to missing a few sick days last week.

So here I am.....
Tired
looking like a trainwreck
and starving. :sick:

No a good combination in my world of trying to eat healthy and in smaller portions.

"Lucky for me" (rolls eyes) today is our sections breakfast lunch in.

So I go to the conference room and it is wall to wall...pastries, donuts, biscuits, gravy, casseroles, and not a ounce of health food.
Dont worry, I work actually has defibulators mounted on all the walls.

Ironically I did post about my fears of over eating this morning and I did have a game plan before going.

BUT HERE IS WHAT ENDED UP HAPPENING; :grumble:

I go in...motivated...strong....i got this...just going to say hi....grab one thing and leave..... oh look....chocolate donuts.

:devil: Well, I can have just one.

Better get out of here.... I am going to eat all of this crap.... oh hey girl...yeah my dog is doing better...... oh look..... potato casserole.

:devil: Well, I only get it like 4 times a year, one servicing wouldnt hurt. :blushing:

I could go on and on about how one conversation turned into one more thing being shoveled in my mouth. :noway:

I am not a social butterfly....I am a social elephant. LOL However, this elephant has a terrible memory and cant seem to recall she is over weight until its too late. She wakes up covered in peanut shells and shame.

I have once again identified a trigger to my over eating...as if the list needed lengthening!! :drinker:
At this point I need an excel spreadsheet to track all the reasons a cookie could end up in my mouth.

For some reason when I have stimulating conversation or am in a "party" or type environment it is literally like my brain shuts off.
Well, the part of my brain focused on eating well. :smokin: I just love chasing a good conversation with something sweet or loaded with carbs.

So here is my truth...I am going to type everything I ate, which is not easy for me to do, but I find that making myself face EXACTLY what I ate and how much. as painful as it is to continue finding issues and struggles when dealing with over eating... its still progress!! Uggghhhh...ok...before I lose my nerve....

1 Chocolate Donut
2 servings potato casserole
3 chicken rolls
1 mini cream cheese pastry

*PUKE* :sick:

I dont know how to add all of these calories because most was homemade, but i would guess around 1500.
My emotions are really varied right now.... I am glad that I have identified another trigger for me...I actually find it funny that I had a game planned and managed to so epically fail,...and of course a small part of me is ashamed.

Anyway, just another step in my journey.
Just another loop in the chain that moves me closer from being jabba the hut to being the girl in the metal bikini.

Have a wonderful day MFP pals!!!

Small steps are still steps :heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    1 Chocolate Donut
    3 chicken rolls

Hey at least it wasn't
    2 Chocolate Donuts
    4 servings potato casserole
    6 chicken rolls
    2 mini cream cheese pastries

;) it could have been worse
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Very true my friend!!! :bigsmile:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's recommended to eat at the kitchen table, not in front of the tv (for example), because we're able to concentrate more on what we're actually eating, and aren't as distracted.

When we go out with friends, we tend to linger around, chatting, after the meal. If there's still bread/chips & salsa/crackers on the table, I'm more inclined to keep eating even when I'm not hungry, because it's right there and I'm not paying as close attention as I would if I were at home and eating in my quiet dining room.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am a social elephant. LOL However, this elephant has a terrible memory and cant seem to recall she is over weight until its too late. She wakes up covered in peanut shells and shame.

This made me lol.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I am a social elephant. LOL However, this elephant has a terrible memory and cant seem to recall she is over weight until its too late. She wakes up covered in peanut shells and shame.

This made me lol.

Me too!!!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the sarcasm.

I'd like to add that I like you use of paragraphs and lists instead of one long paragraph rant that is too hard to read, so kudos to you :drinker:

You gave yourself great advice, small steps! Hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    Work events are hard, because you don't want to be anti-social, but at the same time you don't want to eat all that food!

Maybe next time you could try hanging out with everyone, but bring your own plate of food in with you covered in carrots or fruit or something you enjoy that is healthy. If you already have it in front of you, you can easily munch on it while talking to your coworkers.

I enjoy your writing style quite a bit, it's very Bridget Jones. :)
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options

This made me lol.

Me too!!!

Me three! I am this girl!! OMG! Thanks though I really needed this after my epic fail last night! 650 calorie Quesorito from taco bell and then lost count on cookies and milk with my hubbs....I remind myself that I have not failed so miserabley in at least 3 months so I am bulding the bridge so that I can get over it! :) doing good today....
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    May I ask what your plan was?

While you prefaced this that you are poking fun, it's clear that you're doing so because you do feel guilty. So, let's work through this... does everyone bring something? If so, next time bring a big huge platter of fruit. When you walk in that room, find the one thing that you're really craving. (HINT: It's not the fruit). For me, it would be the donut or some other pastry. Put that on your plate first. Then beeline for that fruit platter, ignoring everything else (like a horse wearing blinders). Once you're at that fruit platter, fill your plate with fruit around that pastry (or whatever it is you chose). I'd even pile the fruit on TOP of the pastry. Eat the fruit as you chat, making sure to eat it slowly, one piece at a time. Once you get to that darned pastry, you'll be satisfied from all the fiber in the fruit.

While I know you may not be looking for advice, here is some FOR FREE (everyone LOVES free stuff): forgive yourself. Stay away from the pit of doom, though. Then grab one of those chatty coworkers and convince her/him to go for a lunch walk since you know everyone is thinking the same thing: "damn I ate too much while in the pit of doom."

I'm not as witty as you, but that's only because my wit lasts for a sentence. ;)
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Story of my life.

Not only with food, my family is particularly fond of reminding me of that time I was very attached to a bottle of Jose Cuervo at my cousin's wedding.

Last tequila count was 11, then I lost track. :frown:
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    Lol, thanks for the responses ladies!!!!
    My plan was to just stop by and say hi and grab some orange juice.
    There wasnt healthy food.
    I was planning to hold out for my Subway at lunch.
    Owell, such is life :bigsmile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I know you are being sarcastic and funny - and it is very much so, but I worry about the negative self-speaking you do. I recognize it SO EASILY because, well, I DO IT TOO!!! So, it is hard as heck for me to stop, but I try every time I write. While so many of us can identify with this writing, can't we be super silly and super awesome at the same time?

I love how you owned every step of what you did...but mscheftg has some incredible points!!! LOVE her free advice... I will have to use it myself, for sure...but probably with veggies instead of fruit. Veggies are so much better for my particular health needs, and I love me some snap peas, broccoli, etc. :)

Hugs to all of us beautiful amazing ladies trying to get back to the core of who we know we are inside....
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    I would have to disagree on what your refering to as "negative self speaking".... I do actually really like myself, and I am truelly just making light of a struggle i have. I am a firm believer in learning to laugh at yourself and bare your soul even through mistakes. The only part I feel is unhealthy and I definitely need to stop...is the way I eat.

Awesome posts ladies!!!
    I love how diverse everyone is!
    but we are still in this together. :heart:
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    1 Chocolate Donut
    3 chicken rolls

Hey at least it wasn't
    2 Chocolate Donuts
    4 servings potato casserole
    6 chicken rolls
    2 mini cream cheese pastries

;) it could have been worse

^This.

It was one day. Tomorrow is a new one. Now you know another thing to watch out for!

Smile, you're beautiful!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    lol

I like you.
  • Care_Mia
    Care_Mia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Jabba the hut was misunderstood. And we all need more laughter and dare I say.. sarcasm in our life! Thanks for the post. You made me chuckle.:drinker:
  • moonpie83
    moonpie83 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    LMBO!! This is SO me!! Social elephant (now, that's a good one!). But I have the same problem/issue, whatever you want to call it. It seems like whenever I get super excited, or get in a setting where there's good convo, good people, and good food...the good food is for sure, going in this mouth...and, most likely, a good amount; probably b/c I get so wound up talking/gathering socially and not thinking/being cognizant of what I'm eating (which is one of the major things I need to work on). Glad you brought this up b/c you're definitely not alone when it comes to being a "social elephant". No worries, like I say, slow progress is better than no progress; so get back to it; at least you're trying!! You can do it!! :smile:
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Totally understand. Monday my office is taking us to a baseball game. And I am NOT a social butterfly, elephant, giraffe, or sea squid.. I don't want to go, not only because I don't like baseball nor my co-workers but there will be free hot dogs and soda there. And it's mandatory, I have to go. :sad:
  • IowaPrincess
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!!
    Glad I am not alone in the struggle!! :heart: :heart:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I wonder how that chocolate donut would have been with some gravy on it. I want to find out now.