Complicated weightloss?

Options
I am wondering if I am making this whole process more difficult than it is. I think I have a bit of ADHD and don't give any program enough time, I get frustrated with life's issues, that throws me off, and then search around for another program. I am thinking maybe I just need to focus on calories in and calories out. I've done WW points plus, (been thinking about the simply filing or I think they call it simple start) done Atkins, Medifast (was very successful at and kept weight off for years), read diet books, tried everything. I am pretty much limited to walking and recumbent bike for exercise. I also am going to be going BP meds in a week or so.
My question is, does counting just calories not worrying about Macro's... carbs, fat, etc... does this work or does it need to be comre complex.
thanks,
mae

Replies

• JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It is simple math. Eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. Add exercise to keep from losing muscle mass. Or don't exercise. Either way as long as you burn more calories than you take in you WILL lose weight.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I think that you should just focus on calories for now. Give yourself time to get comfortable with that process and then move on to macros, if you so desire. Calorie deficit works. Period. Allow it to work for you!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. It's really that simple.

The advice in the Sexypants post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    It is simple math. Eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. Add exercise to keep from losing muscle mass. Or don't exercise. Either way as long as you burn more calories than you take in you WILL lose weight.

set your diary to only focus on calories. I find that getting stuck on too many numbers is annoying to me. find a way to eat to be satisfied while staying within your calories. No program needed. Dally exercise helps out a lot.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    A lot of people might disagree with me, but I don't bother with macros at all. So far, all is good. I lose weight steadily and no health issue or anything.

I count calories and I make sure I eat smart calories but that's about it. You'll notice fast if you don't eat the right one anyway. On some days I tend to eat mostly carbs but I'll wake up STARVING the next morning and yet i'll feel bloated all day. If I skip on veggies or fruits for a while i'll feel more tired faster and i'll crave them anyway. You'll learn how to eat to feel good and also to feel full.
    400 calories of french fries and burger would give you about 10 fries and half a burger. You will be hungry in NO TIME. Versus 400 calories of fresh of steamed veggies and lean fish or meat and a side of brown rice for example, your plate will be jam-packed, you'll feel full and won't be hungry for a while.
    You'll end up knowing what is good for you. If you have a lot of weight to lose anyway, you'll lose weight regardless of the macros, especially at the beginning.

Now if you plan on doing a lot of exercise, like weight lifting or running, than I would say that looking in the macro side of it would be really beneficial and probably important.

Good luck! and be patient, it's not easy but it's worth it! :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    +1 on just focusing on calories. You will quickly see that 1,600 calories (or whatever) of certain foods 'fill you up' more than equal calories of other things. Then you can change your macros based on what makes you happy and gives you energy.

I started purely looking at calories. I try to hit certain protein minimums lately, but I honestly don't try that hard.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A lot of people might disagree with me, but I don't bother with macros at all. So far, all is good. I lose weight steadily and no health issue or anything.

I count calories and I make sure I eat smart calories but that's about it. You'll notice fast if you don't eat the right one anyway. On some days I tend to eat mostly carbs but I'll wake up STARVING the next morning and yet i'll feel bloated all day. If I skip on veggies or fruits for a while i'll feel more tired faster and i'll crave them anyway. You'll learn how to eat to feel good and also to feel full.
    400 calories of french fries and burger would give you about 10 fries and half a burger. You will be hungry in NO TIME. Versus 400 calories of fresh of steamed veggies and lean fish or meat and a side of brown rice for example, your plate will be jam-packed, you'll feel full and won't be hungry for a while.
    You'll end up knowing what is good for you. If you have a lot of weight to lose anyway, you'll lose weight regardless of the macros, especially at the beginning.

Now if you plan on doing a lot of exercise, like weight lifting or running, than I would say that looking in the macro side of it would be really beneficial and probably important.

Good luck! and be patient, it's not easy but it's worth it! :)

Good advice!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Calories determine weight loss.. macros support satiety, muscle retention and overall health. Eating foods high in fat, protein and fiber will keep you full longer which will make a calorie reduction much easier. And if you add in resistance training with adequate levels of protein, it will help you get that tight body fast since you will have more muscle left.

In the end, it comes down to goals. If you want to be lean and fit, macros matter. If you want to be skinny, they don't as much.
  • medimae
    medimae Posts: 6
    Options
    THANK YOU all soo very much !!! I feel like I've had some kind of burden lifted from me. I can handle counting the calories, its stuff like following program guidelines... like on WW the simply start. I would always afraid I was eating too many fruits, too much meat, etc. I feel like I have someone behind me now, with y'all helping me.
    thank you again.