Whole wheat bread versus white bread

Options
2»

Replies

• RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I'm just in the habit of eating whole wheat bread. It usually has a little more protein and fibre, and often sugar. I think it's all about personal preference though.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Naure's Own Whole Wheat Bread. I feel it helps out my digestion quite well.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I prefer wheat bread for sandwiches, and white bread for things like french toast, bread pudding, or croutons. I don't think it is something that matters. I would just go with what you like.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Depends on the bread. . . sometimes there's little or no difference. Now, those flatout wraps on the other hand. . . :)
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat whole wheat/grain bread more than white bread, but I'll be damned if there aren't days that a nice sourdough just hits the spot.

Me too.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Eating whole wheat bread or bread with a fancy name like "Amish Friendship Yeast Oat Bread" has been proven to help burn calories by giving the person eating it the smug sense of superiority that comes from knowing they're better than those losers who eat white bread.

and make sure it says it's "sprouted." you'll never make it into the cool kids' club if it isn't. :wink:
  • kingcobragt500
    Options
    Americans as a whole eat way too much bread! So you might try alternative options for meals that don't use bread to further diversify your meals, which will also help you keep a balanced diet! When you are going to eat bread I would go with whole grain bread that is 100% whole grain, as stated by numerous people before me it does have better nutritional value. When you eat, you should be "fueling" your body, not just stuffing yourself, and with that in mind you want the most nutritional value per calorie possible. So to sum it up, try limiting your bread intake some, and when you do eat bread, go for the wheat bread!
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat whole wheat/grain bread more than white bread, but I'll be damned if there aren't days that a nice sourdough just hits the spot.

Sourdough bread actually has the lowest glycemic index of all the breads - including wheat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Sourdough bread actually has the lowest glycemic index of all the breads - including wheat.
    Real sourdough, yes.