Dog Lovers! Is Your Dog an Exercise Motivator?

Options
Having totally slacked off with exercise over the past couple of years, having to walk my dog is probably the only thing that's kept me doing a bit of regular exercise and not ending up with even more extra pounds than I already gained. He's a little guy, but he loves to walk, so I'm committing to a nice, long walk with him two to three nights a week. That way, I'll feel guilty if I try to blow it off and he gives me those sad doggy eyes, like "Why are we heading back home already?"

I'm sure there are plenty of other dog lovers here (although I have to give equal disclosure that I love cats and have four of those, too). Do any of you use your dog as an exercise motivator? My eventual hope is to start doing C25K and to taking him on runs with me. Not sure how much he can handle, but it would be a good incentive even if I add a short run or two to my routine.

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40 by walking my dog! Feel free to add me!
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    Wow, 40 pounds, that's great! Dogs are wonderful coaches.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    She does encourage me to get out for a walk most days (unless weather is really hot/cold). I feel guilty if I don't take her out, I know she gets bored sitting at home all day. I want her to be around as long as possible, and regular exercise will help keep her healthy. I even took her out last night despite having a sore foot. I don't think she was impressed that it was a shorter walk than normal, but it was better than nothing. :)

I tried taking her jogging a few years ago (using a format similar to C25K) but she wasn't having it and would lag behind and try to just walk. I don't think she got what I was doing lol. I've thought about starting again to see how she does now that she's a bit older.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I can't run with him. I've tried and he will run for a bit, then get excited like "OMG WE'RE RUNNING!!" and then run in front of me and trip me.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I would run anyway but making sure he runs has motivated me to run an extra day or two.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    my dog is too lazy, and his legs are too short for long walks, I literally have to wake him up in the morning and carry him out of the bed
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    My "puppy" is 15 now (shepherd/lab mix) so he doesn't run much anymore. But every morning he eagerly waits for his morning walk. (snort..."you up yet?"....snort...."you up yet?")

I'm usually pretty sleepy still, but I could never disappoint him, and always enjoy the walk once I've woken up a little.

He definitely motivates me to go when I would have otherwise slept in.....
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    All of mine get excited after we finish dinner because if it's not to hot, we take a hike around the neighborhood. I also jog with one of my goldens and he absolutely loves it. It's his time alone with me, which we both enjoy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Lol. I have pugs. They sleep 18 hours per day.

But, when I was diagnosed with "something autoimmune" in college, my doc told me to get a puppy. Because puppies make sure you get out of bed to walk them.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yep, my young ones are downright pushy. We go out walking or walk/jogging most nights. I skipped 2 nights in a row (was doing some other stuff last night instead) and they began whining and barking at me. My boxer was romping in circles and whining. We didn't go but I did stop to play a minute. Tonight. Tonight I def taking them back out. I felt like a heel for letting them down last night.

They walk/jog pretty good - but one night they ran and I didn't - taking me sidewalk surfing. That wasn't pretty. nope. Still have an elbow healing form that night.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Walking my dog got me started losing weight and now walking/hiking/running together has become a part of our mutual fitness routine. Sometimes taking a walk together to unwind after a long day is just relaxing and we both benefit. I wouldn't necessarily call it a motivator though.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I can't run with him. I've tried and he will run for a bit, then get excited like "OMG WE'RE RUNNING!!" and then run in front of me and trip me.

This cracked me UP. I literally imagined mine doing that - makes perfect sense! hahaha. I'll be snickering all day now.
  • muaythaijunkie
    muaythaijunkie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have an Alaskan malamute and she is always fully of energy. She does to "Doggy Day Care" so she gets most of her energy out that way, but on the weekends it’s a good hour in the morning and night. I also do about 4k run with her when it’s not too hot and she can handle it. I love running with her as she always loves to run ahead, so it pushes me to my limits.
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    "...he will run for a bit, then get excited like "OMG WE'RE RUNNING!!" and then run in front of me and trip me."

My boys are Dachshund brothers. They LOVE to get out there and sprint. They can go longer, but too much might not be good for their short legs. I do run with them for as long as they can go. Gotta keep 'em straight or else they WILL run into your path and wreak havoc.
  • danicaliforn1a
    danicaliforn1a Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For me, I notice that my dog is a reflection of myself. When I have been at my heaviest, so was my dog. She relies on me for excercise. During hectic weeks having her is my reason to head out for walks when I would rather sit on the couch.This summer has been very motivating with nice weather. Both of us are back in reasonable shape with a lot less weight to lose. She's a weiner dog, so she has little legs. However, if you have a more athletic dog, I would think running/biking with them would be great.
  • TXRanchGirl
    TXRanchGirl Posts: 303
    Options
    Love my puppers! have border collies. I used to..and would like to again..run them in agility trials..run was a good word..as I was fat and outta shape! now that Ive gotten fit and increased my wind, Im hoping to do some more with them later this year.

I take them for runs and walks away from home..and they are usually outside with me on our ranch.

Both will get up with my early in the morning and sit in my living room while I work out..weve had to have some groundrules put into place though..my boy dog used to think Plyometrics ment PLAY! LOL
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Mine is a total couch potato motivator. At least the bigger one, the smaller one prefers to do his own thing.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We just recently got a Chug (chihuahua/pug) puppy. He's only about four months old and full of energy so a daily walk is required. I usually do the gym, biking, dvd's in the garage or swimming in addition to the walk but there are days when I don't want to do a thing and knowing he will be a little pill makes me go. The other day he was being a real little turd while on our walk so even though we were almost done I sprinted up the hill behind our house to sap his energy. It worked and I discovered I can actually run up a hill at a pretty good rate of speed. We've now added that to the last leg of our daily walk and will probably increase it as we both gain strength. Gotta keep the little booger challenged so he doesn't come home and eat all my shoes and harass the cats!

He's my profile picture and his name is Gimli,after the dwarf in Lord of the Rings. He's very dangerous over short distances.
  • kwatson28
    kwatson28 Posts: 31
    Options
    I have two dogs! A corgi and an Australian Shepherd Boxer Lab mix. Luna and Kiah both drag me around. I love walking them but Kiah will pull me so it's hard to walk both at one time. If my fiancé isn't around to help, I walk one at a time around the block. They love walks but Florida heat gets to you!