What do you do when you're unable to work out due to a physi

Options
What do you do when you're unable to work out due to a physical condition or injury? I've been on restricted, modified, & at time "no exercise" due to a C-Spine issue. Not eating a ton but the scales going up. I contribute this to stress as exercise is such an excellent stress reliever. I'm looking at my pics from June, can see that I was so close to hitting my goal weight, & now watching it just disappear. Feeling blue... chubby... tired.... blah....

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Walk. Not to the fridge. Take some long walks. It's relaxing and relieves stress.
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Look you have one body and you need to heal yourself first. If you gain the weight you know you will be able to lose it. Think about this your body is whole not missing any limbs. So take your time don't stress.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ditto! Walk that stress away. Walk thru the mall. Park farther from the business or store you are visiting. Any exercise is good exercise. You can also do hand squeezes, right? There we go: another exercise! ;) You can do this. Oh--swimming or any other low-impact exercise. Also, dancing. Do you know how tiring a graceful walz can make a person? Whew!
    You can do this. :drinker: (lots of water)
  • JakeNonne
    JakeNonne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There is a time to let your body heal. So shift down into a lower gear and give your body a rest.

I was in the same boat this week as I got bursitis (soreness in the hip) from running too much. The remedy is: no running. Ugh!

But it forced me get creative and put more variety into my work out. I worked out more with weights and resistance training like push ups. Now I'm building muscle which is helping keep my metabolism up.

Walking will help relieve some stress and it's very good exercise. Check with your doctor: she/he may have some tips.

Good luck. How long have you been restricted?
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Leisurely walks when you can. Otherwise, really look @ what you're putting into your body in terms of nutrients and portions and why you're eating them in the first place. You may not be able to burn many, if any, calories sometimes, but you can fuel your metabolism with hard working foods!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor cleared you for any type of excercise?
    What about swimming?
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    if you can...hit a pool...you can pool jog, swim, do aqua aerobics...when I was training for a marathon and had knee issues I would swim for my workouts...then I would still swim once a week once the knee felt better...There is not strain on your joints etc...

oh and I ditto the walking suggestion...walk anywhere you can
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Find an alternative activity. Gentle yoga stretches can help maintain flexibility and strength, swimming is a great low impact exercise, and the elliptical is pretty low impact, depending on where you are injured. If it's your shoulder and arms, don't use the handles. you will still reap the cardio benefits. And, there's always sex! :)
  • Trickynotts
    Options
    Aww bless you I understand your frsutration but you have some great advice. I agree with the slowly slowly and health and you getting yourself well is the most important. How about a spa day? you could go to the sauna, pool, gentle yoga or just relax healthy but also relaxing.
    Take Care!!!
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    She said NO EXERCISE until I get the MRI of my neck back. My vertebrae appear to be stacked on top of each other, little to no disk space, in the x-ray. I asked her about just yoga & low impact but she said none.
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Jane... I like the way you think! ;)

I'm going to ramp up the walking & see if I can find a good indoor pool here. Seems like that's the lowest injury possibility. With it being my neck, everything affects it. Even looking down at a piece of paper. I've been partially restricted because of my shoulder & pain for a few months but I've pushed through. I was surprised to hear NO YOGA, NO EXERCISE.
  • JakeNonne
    JakeNonne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a chiropractor? They specialize in spine and neck issues.

Your symptoms sound very similar to what I had over the summer. I went to visit my chiropractor friend because I had some high back pain. He said a couple of discs were out of alignment and my spine was very compressed. He made three adjustments over two weeks to give me some space between the discs. The pain went away and my back felt great and more flexible.

Here's my take on doctors: physicians like to do a bunch of expensive tests and prescribe pills. If you see a surgeon, they will want to fix the problem with surgery. Chiropractors are the least evasive of all so I think they are the best place to start. If they can't help, they will send you to your GP.
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Your spine's health is more important than getting in a workout. Since you can't workout, try filling up on some satisfying, super lowcal foods to help you keep the wieght off. One I really like - and I always lose when I eat it every day, is Weight Watcher's Garden Vegetable soup (google the recipe). I make it with Veg. broth instead of chicken broth, and add pearled barley for protein. 1.5 cups fills you up and only have about 120 calories. Apples, pears, cucumbers and tomatos are also good fillers with almost no calories. Just have patience, dear Esther. You will get through this, and be happier - and healtheir - when it is over. In the meantime, feel free to vent to your friends. We all love you!