Guilt.....

pamelasusan
pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I am pretty religious about working out 4-5 times a week. Never less than 4.

I know that I need to take breaks on the other days but I feel so guilty. :frown:

Does anyone else feel guilty on the days that you aren't able to workout due to scheduling or just need a break?

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Nope. Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. If I don't workout I just eat less. :)
  • If I don't work out.. I get anxious now.. so yes.. if I can't because of time or like yesterday I had a knee strain, I freaked out cause I thought oh crap.. I can't work out. But I still did.. just did something else that didn't involve my knee. =)
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    I used to feel guilty but now I don't. I've learnt that rest days are just as important as workouts when strength training. I'm going to have to take 2 weeks off exercise in December as I'm having some medical treatment and I know I will be stressing then and looking forward to being able to exercise again. I know from experience though that it won't take me long to get back to the level I was at before I had to take the break. Try to relax, you are doing better than many of us managing 4 workouts a week as it is, I do 3 workouts at the gym a week but also cycle around 30 miles a week on my short journey to work.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    I am pretty religious about working out 4-5 times a week. Never less than 4.

I know that I need to take breaks on the other days but I feel so guilty. :frown:

Does anyone else feel guilty on the days that you aren't able to workout due to scheduling or just need a break?

I had a client who would often feel guilty if she didn't come into the gym for a day. The problem was, she was overtraining by not allowing her body to recover from the previous workout and thus inhibiting her progress.

Often we need to find things to do in these off days, and the challenge is to find something completely different from your workout days so that you're not working against your body's natural recovery needs.

Remember, your body adapts to stresses and gets stronger during the Rest phase between workouts....so a day off after every couple of workouts is good.

I've had several clients who got double the results going hardcore twice a week in their workouts with 2 days off in between, rather than the 3-4x a week they were doing before.

For those people who feel a need to hit the gym based on keeping it a routine, try balancing the workouts in between with different activities that can serve to assist with the recovery process. Light biking/ Walking, Casual Swimming, Light Yoga etc.

Cheers,
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Not guilty.. Anxious or frustrated when I can't train because of a cold or something..

Edit:

I saw a nice triangle diagram somewhere that illustrated the important things for an athlete to get results.

33% Exercise
    33% Rest
    33% Diet

All of those need to be in order.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Guilt/boredom
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    ME ME ME! I always feel guilty on the days I don't work out. Especially when I see that I don't meet my calorie goal on MFP. I'm an all or nothing girl, so I get mad at myself. I need to learn to cut myself some slack.

Like today, I intended on a volleyball game at school with teachers against students. However, I was assigned to cover another teacher's classroom. So, no big deal.... I'll just go to the gym.

I'm changed in my clothes and my phone rings and there's some issues that need resolved on our house closing (we're selling my fiance's property, since we're getting married in 7 months), so I had to leave and take care of that. By the time I got home, I was tired and needed to make supper.

Still, I was really annoyed with myself for not squeezing a workout in.... GRRRR!!

Shannon
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to see a tendency in mostly women having all these guilt issues.. :huh:
This discussion has been closed.