5LB A WEEK loss

Options
Big_Beanz
Big_Beanz Posts: 14 Member
How reasonable is 5 pounds a week for weight loss for a 370 pound 6'2 male such as myself

If i net 2340 calories a day id lose 2lbs according to MFP

So If i net like 840 calories that would be 5lb a week.

I dont mean eating only 840 calories a day, but due to my size i burn a lot of calories doing even ligh exercsises. So for instance if i eat 1600 calories and burn 800 calories every for 4 weeks.. Will i likely be 20 pounds smaller in 4 weeks??

Replies

• tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you will be able to continue to eat the same way for the rest of your life, don't do it.
    You most likely will just put the weight back on once you start to eat normally.

You need to consume enough calories that you are not always hungry and that you can maintain if you want prolonged weight loss/maintenance.

Slow and Steady wins the race!
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You should never consume less than your BMR. It will cause metabolic damage in the long term and make it hard to maintain weight loss if not impossible. When you go below your BMR for a while your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to every single fat cell it can because it thinks it is in a food shortage situation(very common when mankind was evolving). Like the previous poster said, slow and steady.
  • Big_Beanz
    Options
    I am planning on readjusting to a more steady plan after the initial four weeks. And you lose weight by eating lower than BMR..... If i ate my BMR i would stay the same weight....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's a BAD idea. Eat enough to fuel your body. Start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Tweak as necessary.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am planning on readjusting to a more steady plan after the initial four weeks. And you lose weight by eating lower than BMR..... If i ate my BMR i would stay the same weight....
    Your BMR is what your body needs to survive in a coma or on 24/7 bed rest. That's NOT how you lose weight.
    Read the thread I posted above.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options

I think you're confusing BMR with TDEE. BMR is essentially what a hospital would give you as your bare minimum if you were in a coma. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure which is the total calories you burn in a day. It's obviously more than your BMR because you're up and moving around and not just lying there.
  • Big_Beanz
    Options
    MY BMR is calculated at 3141 calories on other sites and 2800 here on MFP.. You're saying that I should always everyday eat 2800-3141 calories?
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't go for such a goal, because you won't be able to sustain it and the moment you fall off the wagon (either because you have a bad day or because you've reached your goal and no longer need to maintain that weight loss) it'll all come flying back on.

2lbs a week is a sustainable goal, I've found. 3.5 months in and 25lbs down. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • betty_2010
    betty_2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You may find that even eating 1,200 calories a day for the first week or two you will lose more than 2lbs as you will be losing water weight.

Do not send your body in to starvation mode.

Drink lots of water and only water will help (herbal teas as fine) - the more you drink the more you shrink.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    How reasonable is 5 pounds a week for weight loss for a 370 pound 6'2 male such as myself

I dont mean eating only 840 calories a day, but due to my size i burn a lot of calories doing even ligh exercsises. So for instance if i eat 1600 calories and burn 800 calories every for 4 weeks.. Will i likely be 20 pounds smaller in 4 weeks??

No...not a good idea.

However...at your size chances are you will lose 20lbs in the first month netting the 2340 that MFP gave you. Most of it will be water but at some point you will start to lose fat.

At you weight...height...being male...and at your age...you initially will lose weight fairly fast...for at least the first few months...then it will slow down.

Eating as low as you suggest...you probably won't lose any...maybe even gain. Not because your in the myth of "starvation mode" but because you got hungry eating so little and then started eating everything in site...midnight runs to the store for snacks...eating food off of other peoples plates...ordering pizza delivered to the street corner so that you can sneak out and devour a whole pizza in 5 minutes...well...you see what happens when a 370lb 21 y/o old male tries to eat less than a 62 y/o female.

Don't do it...just don't...don't do it for the sake of humanity!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    BMR: what you'd have to eat to maintain if you were in a coma, not moving
    TDEE: amount you'd have to eat to maintain with your daily activity.

For me, BMR is 1500ish, TDEE is 1800ish (i'm sedentary). I eat somehwere in the middle and lose weight. That's the way I understand it.
  • Matthebrute
    Options
    for someone your size i dont think 5 lb a week is a unreasonable goal...from everything i have read the bigger you are the faster they fall.

start walking every day and do what you can for light jogging...eat food but burn it off. you definatly dont want to short yourself on food but make healthy choices to what your eating. 2000 calories in fatty food is no good, lean meats and nutritious fruits and vegatables + exercise will yield results im sure,

im no pro and just starting myself feel free to add me as a friend and we can help each other stay motivated. just by eating a little more healthy, watching my cal intake but more important cutting out things like butter and only using 1 slice of cheese instead of 2 on a sandwich. i started using olive oil instead of pam and also using olive oil mayo, while im sure not healthy its much better than reg mayo.

eat a salad for lunch with some cut up chicken and a fat free dressing...and if you still hungry eat another. salad is great and if you can manage eating lots of veggies they are good for you and you dont have to starve yourself.

just my 2¢ and like i said im not too experienced with this whole weight loss thing just started myself.
  • Matthebrute
    Options
    oh and btw congrats on taking a step in the right direction!!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    MY BMR is calculated at 3141 calories on other sites and 2800 here on MFP.. You're saying that I should always everyday eat 2800-3141 calories?

No...you can eat a less than that...especially because of how much excess weight that you carry. I wouldn't however recommend less that what MFP suggested.

Trust the process Beanz...it works...if you will give it a chance...and learn to be patient.

I lost 80lbs in 11 months. If you learn to trust not only the process but yourself...it will work.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

I started MFP at 261 lbs. I'm 5'6". I was eating 1720 calories a day and still at least 2 lbs. a week. It's slowed down a bit. I started April 29, 2014. The first week I lost more than 5 lbs. Also, the first few weeks I didn't exercise at all. I'm eating 1680 calories a day now and still losing. I would stick to the 2340 calories MFP says and see how that goes.

Follow this-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants