Too many opinions and ways to "diet"

Options
One thing I have noticed with my years of battling my weight is everyone has "THEIR" way. Most think everybody else is wrong. Some like low or no carbs while others are on the "whole wheat" "high carb low fat" plan. I know there is truly no ONE way to lose weight.

The first time I lost a lot of weight I did it by just counting calories and exercising. I ate things like bologna sandwiches and poptarts, mini wheat cereal to corndogs. I ate what was available and in moderation to stay in my calorie goal in MyFitnessPal. It worked because I lost 75lbs (350 to 275). I hit a big plateau and gave up. My goal was 230. I gained 31lbs back.

Second time I was 306lbs and had a whole new plan. I stated juicing. Not using a juicer but actually using a BlendTec blender and drank nothing but whole fruits and veggies for a week then followed a really expensive "Paleo" diet plan while still consuming 75% of my food intake from juices. I had 0 grains of any kind. Ate really high fat foods, tons of meat and eggs, bacon ohhhh the BACON, ate it by the pound. During these 3 months I lost the 36lb to get back to 275. Again I plateaued and failed. I stayed at that weight a month and lost the will.

Now I am 315 pounds and going to start this again. I have learned a lot about our food system and truly believe that grains are horrible for you so I am going to choose to stay away from them. I kinda want to mix the best of both worlds and while eating a high fat and protein/low carb no sugar diet I will also count my calories and keep track of what I eat. Kinda want to try to get into ketosis for a while.

Anyone have thoughts and opinions. What the method to your madness??

Replies

• Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When it comes to losing fat I use a simple plan. our fitness group calls it the fat shredder. it is 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% healthy fats (I'm sure it's called a million things elsewhere). I went from 240 to 176 before switching to an more maintenance diet of 40/40/20. It's important to know how you metabolism is doing because going too low on calories will leave you with nowhere to go when you need to cut. My current maint. is around 2300 calories (and climbing). Grains are good for you, they have important vitamins and minerals in them and will help fuel your activities. Fruits and veggies (more-so fruit) have a LOT of sugar in them so really it should be kept to about 2 servings of fruit a day. Veggies you are more or less free to go to town. Sticking to the plan I was shown I dropped 64 pounds in a healthy way, kept it off, and am now working on putting on weight (Via weight training).
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    People screw up by looking at things as a temporary fix, instead of a lifelong commitment. If you look at things as a lifestyle change, a small plateau during your weight loss journey is simply a negligible blip on the radar.

My advice to you, and to everyone else, is find a style of eating that you actually feel you can follow for a long period of time. If you don't see yourself doing it a few years from now, or even a few months from now, then it's not going to work.

Also avoid overdoing things. Too often I see people start out on extreme deficits and crazy workout programs. That never lasts, and it's always followed by a rebound.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    People screw up by looking at things as a temporary fix, instead of a lifelong commitment. If you look at things as a lifestyle change, a small plateau during your weight loss journey is simply a negligible blip on the radar.

My advice to you, and to everyone else, is find a style of eating that you actually feel you can follow for a long period of time. If you don't see yourself doing it a few years from now, or even a few months from now, then it's not going to work.

Also avoid overdoing things. Too often I see people start out on extreme deficits and crazy workout programs. That never lasts, and it's always followed by a rebound.

^^ This. Luckily for myself, I have found a sustainable lifestyle that I will be able to do till the day I die and I find that a relief. I've tried crap like "Paleo" and "Atkins" type of things but realized a theme of amongst several people I interacted with of yo-yoing, and not being sustainable in the long term. The main thing I focus on personally is health and how I feel. I think everyone should focus on laying a strong foundation for the rest of their lives! However, I think people need to get away from the mentality of a "diet" because a "diet" will always fail in the longterm.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Some sort of disordered eating made us fat. For each of us, the variety of disordered eating we did was different. Replacing one disordered form of eating with another is not a permanent fix. The only permanent fix is to permanently adopt a form of eating that works for you and is something you feel is the right thing to do "forever."

For most of us, it really is as simple as eat less and move more. You can choose to do this in a healthy, sustainable way or not. I choose healthy by learning about nutrition and health from such science-based, non-commercial sources as Harvard's Nutritionsource. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

I then do the arithmetic to determine how many calories I should consume daily to meet my weight loss goals. I weigh and measure my food and use the diary to keep track of my consumption. And despite some days when that discipline failed me, I am losing at over a pound per week.

I know this works because I have done it before for many more pounds than at present. And, yes, gained it back by returning to old, disordered eating habits, including excessive consumption of bread and butter into the wee hours in front of the TV.

It really is as simple as that.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, and I eat what I want, or can afford, but try to stay in that deficit. Combined with the No S plan, no sweets, no seconds and no snacks except on days that start with S. That's as complicated as I can go and stick with this, because it has to be a lifestyle change and I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I eat a balanced diet. I eat grains. I eat fatty foods. I eat lots of fruits and veggies. I have dessert sometimes. I go for ice cream with my toddle and I'm not ashamed. But I balance it. I eat the same way I did before starting to lose weight I just control my portions better. This works for me. Giving up any type of food would be a huge failure for me. I don't want to give anything up, I just want to eat it in a balanced and sensible way. To me, that's much more maintainable.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have decided that I want to put good things in my body.

I had decided that I'd like to get as much of my needed nutrients, vitamins, and minerals from food as much as I can, rather than supplements.

I am choosing to count calories, exercise, and eat whole foods as much as I can. I've chosen to avoid foods with high fructose corn syrup. Which means most of my packaged, boxed or canned foods (cereal, bread, spaghetti sauce, etc.) are going to be organic. I choose to do this because I feel HFCS works against me.

Since I've switched to this eating lifestyle these past few weeks, I have experienced improvements in my health (no flatulence, no runs to the potty). I like these results.

I am satisfied at the end of the day. I indulge in the occasional treat when I can fit it into my plan. I exercise because I like it now - I take my 2year old labrador for a 2 mile walk every morning; sometimes I jog a little, sometimes I don't. I ride my bicycle (somewhat hilly terrain) several times a week because I enjoy it. And I like seeing the progress I make with being a little bit stronger each time.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Im in for the advice.

I am going thru this right now. So many ways and "they are absolutely right, they can't be wrong, you're the one that's wrong" Ugh, I almost got into it with someone yesterday over this whole thing.

It's making me step back and really pull the "ok I'm not doing this for them, I'm doing it for me - and who gives to rip sh!ts about what they are doing" Listen to what they have to say and take away what you can. I no longer will discuss any sorts of "food talk" with any of my friends. No more fights. LOL.
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For me what works is I eat whatever I want whenever I want, I don’t pay attention to “you can’t eat after this time of day” I try to stay to my 1200 calories a day, and most days I do, and when I don’t I don’t beat myself up, I just simply try to do better the next day. I do however exercise, not much, but the little I do works for me. What you have to remember is, what works for me or someone else may not work for you. You have to do this things YOUR WAY not anyone else’s way or it won’t work for you. Good Luck to you, I know you have it this time
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    One thing I have noticed with my years of battling my weight is everyone has "THEIR" way. Most think everybody else is wrong. Some like low or no carbs while others are on the "whole wheat" "high carb low fat" plan. I know there is truly no ONE way to lose weight.

The first time I lost a lot of weight I did it by just counting calories and exercising. I ate things like bologna sandwiches and poptarts, mini wheat cereal to corndogs. I ate what was available and in moderation to stay in my calorie goal in MyFitnessPal. It worked because I lost 75lbs (350 to 275). I hit a big plateau and gave up. My goal was 230. I gained 31lbs back.

Second time I was 306lbs and had a whole new plan. I stated juicing. Not using a juicer but actually using a BlendTec blender and drank nothing but whole fruits and veggies for a week then followed a really expensive "Paleo" diet plan while still consuming 75% of my food intake from juices. I had 0 grains of any kind. Ate really high fat foods, tons of meat and eggs, bacon ohhhh the BACON, ate it by the pound. During these 3 months I lost the 36lb to get back to 275. Again I plateaued and failed. I stayed at that weight a month and lost the will.

Now I am 315 pounds and going to start this again. I have learned a lot about our food system and truly believe that grains are horrible for you so I am going to choose to stay away from them. I kinda want to mix the best of both worlds and while eating a high fat and protein/low carb no sugar diet I will also count my calories and keep track of what I eat. Kinda want to try to get into ketosis for a while.

There is ONE true way to lose weight. It's eating at a caloric deficit.
    you can do this with paleo, or vegan, or IIFYM or any of the "diets" out there.

I use IIFYM (if it fits your macros) because I love to eat...everything.
    Now i eat less of it all. I hit my Protein and fat for the day (i use them as minimums) then fill the rest of my calorie allotment with carbs.

Grains are not horribile for you, pending a medical condition
    I eat grains, I eat meat, I eat ice cream and cookies, I drink beer, I eat vegetables, I eat cake, I lose weight.

I am 160 days in to this run at losing weight, and doing it the right way. No more fad diets, quick fixes for me.
    I didn't get fat overnight, I won't get skinny (I prefer healthy) overnight.

All foods can be good. Eat what you like, hit your macros, and hit your calories.

Weight loss will not be linear, some days you will "think" you gained lots of weight. I can swing 5 pounds in a day.
    You have to look at it over time - if you are at a deficit over time you will lose weight.

I recommend lifting weights, and getting in some cardio.

Good luck
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

What your trying to do is what I do, high protein, some fats and carbs are all from fruit and veggies outside of 1 day of the week. Once a week I will have something like beans... rice or popcorn even... just something different to throw everything off and honestly after a year of being carbless and losing 172lbs it was hard to reintroduce this stuff into my diet. They are good for you but I wanted to be able to not pack food to parties kind of thing.

Also carbs don't work for me either, that is how I did my bulk I would have some rice each day and sweet potatoes while everything else was very clean. I think what IIFYM ppl don't understand is carbs affect people differently, I get that they are a fuel source and all the science behind it ...but as the person inside this body I am telling you what my body does with them.. and it's store store store.
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I didn't get fat overnight, I won't get skinny (I prefer healthy) overnight.

That is so true for all of us.. We just have to do this slow and steady and we WILL win
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

What your trying to do is what I do, high protein, some fats and carbs are all from fruit and veggies outside of 1 day of the week. Once a week I will have something like beans... rice or popcorn even... just something different to throw everything off and honestly after a year of being carbless and losing 172lbs it was hard to reintroduce this stuff into my diet. They are good for you but I wanted to be able to not pack food to parties kind of thing.

Also carbs don't work for me either, that is how I did my bulk I would have some rice each day and sweet potatoes while everything else was very clean. I think what IIFYM ppl don't understand is carbs affect people differently, I get that they are a fuel source and all the science behind it ...but as the person inside this body I am telling you what my body does with them.. and it's store store store.

You do realize that a lot of IIFYM people follow paleo, vegan, HFLC, etc. etc. diets don't you?
    IIFYM doesn't follow any specific diet, other than fitting YOUR Macros.

ETA - eat what you like/want in moderation and make it fit. If you choose to eat low carb - you are still aiming to hit your fats and proteins (or fitting your macros)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Also carbs don't work for me either, that is how I did my bulk I would have some rice each day and sweet potatoes while everything else was very clean. I think what people don't understand is carbs affect people differently, I get that they are a fuel source and all the science behind it ...but as the person inside this body I am telling you what my body does with them.. and it's store store store.

You do realize that a lot of IIFYM people follow paleo, vegan, HFLC, etc. etc. diets don't you?
    IIFYM doesn't follow any specific diet, other than fitting YOUR Macros.

ETA - eat what you like/want in moderation and make it fit. If you choose to eat low carb - you are still aiming to hit your fats and proteins (or fitting your macros)

True, not fair of me to word it that way.

Fixed ;)
  • LakeCountyDiver
    LakeCountyDiver Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Im in for the advice.

I am going thru this right now. So many ways and "they are absolutely right, they can't be wrong, you're the one that's wrong" Ugh, I almost got into it with someone yesterday over this whole thing.

It's making me step back and really pull the "ok I'm not doing this for them, I'm doing it for me - and who gives to rip sh!ts about what they are doing" Listen to what they have to say and take away what you can. I no longer will discuss any sorts of "food talk" with any of my friends. No more fights. LOL.

For sure dont listen to other people about what is right. I cringe when I see people go "fat free" diets and only eat special K. But I have to remember that no one way is the only way. I lost weight on both extreams. It is truly burn more than you take in.

Good luck. I know you can do it.
  • LakeCountyDiver
    LakeCountyDiver Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Its not about not being able find a style of eating. I have found many. The problem is I LOVE FOOD and to over eat. I love all the things that are bad like pizza and cheese cake. I love to not have to watch what i eat. When I hit my 275 plateau it stayed there for over a month. Then I started with the "Ill shock my system" well that to me is like a recovering drug addict (which I am w/9yr clean) just going to get high for one day. IT DON'T WORK. I was back out of control with food.

Im not one that goes on "extreme deficits and crazy workout programs". The only thing I do extreme is over eat when I am not following a program and watching my food intake. Its always a struggle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    people like to over-complicate what is really not complicated. nutrition isn't rocket science and living a healthful life is largely a matter of common sense. but of course, common sense doesn't sell books and DVDs and diet programs and fitness programs, etc.

I stopped paying much attention at all to the diet and fitness industry when fruit and certain vegetables started to be labeled as dietary demons...just totally lacking in any common sense.
  • jennagreenstreet
    jennagreenstreet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Gosh! I just cannot agree with you more. Lol I have tried all of the latest fads in diets and you know what I'm still a big girl at...gulp...340lbs. Smh, there I have said it and put it out there. I have gone up and down through the years but I notice when I go up, I always go up a little bit more. I never in my life thought I would reach 300, and now I'm looking at almost pushing 400. I think these "diets" tend to be our downfall as there not very practical for most of us.

I also have tried the juicing diet, I bought a jack lalann juicer. Lost 20 pounds felt Uh-mazing! But I had 3 kids and we got busy, I went back to work, it just wasn't practical for me. I have tried Atkins diet, same situation, lost weight, felt great, gained back more than I lost simply because I just couldn't maintain it for the long run.

I guess what I'm saying, because I'm no expert, is I guess we have to find our comfort zone/s. There are things I could give up, say cheese cake, but not other stuff like cereal, or my occasional ice cream. Right now im trying to keep my calories in check, and just try walking a few days a week. Maybe allow myself one cheat day a week. I don't think there is a right or wrong way diet asi truly believe that "one size doesn't fit all" its just about what u know u can achieve. Too often they tell us to step outside our comfort zone. Guess what? If I could do that don't you think I would have? I mean I turn TO food FOR comfort. Lol so for some they can do that and achieve maximum weight loss. I can't, so I shall continue to make baby steps until I feel I'm strong enough to do just that.

I think I went off topic, but I felt I needed to post. :)
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options

^^ This. Luckily for myself, I have found a sustainable lifestyle that I will be able to do till the day I die and I find that a relief. I've tried crap like "Paleo" and "Atkins" type of things but realized a theme of amongst several people I interacted with of yo-yoing, and not being sustainable in the long term. The main thing I focus on personally is health and how I feel. I think everyone should focus on laying a strong foundation for the rest of their lives! However, I think people need to get away from the mentality of a "diet" because a "diet" will always fail in the longterm.

What's up, judgey-mcjudgerson? I believe that reverting to unhealthy habits and yo-yo dieting is based more upon a person's willpower and commitment to one's own health and fitness than on the style of eating that they chose to follow. People give up all the time, regardless of their WOE. You've got to believe in yourself & make choices and changes that demonstrate that you value and respect yourself (at least, that's my take on things).
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Its not about not being able find a style of eating. I have found many.

You completely missed the rest of my post. I said this is a lifelong commitment. You have to change the way you eat in the LONG RUN. That is EXACTLY what it's about. Ask anyone who's been successful with long term weight loss and they will all tell you the same thing. They had to make a lifestyle change and find a new way of eating.

The problem is I LOVE FOOD and to over eat. I love all the things that are bad like pizza and cheese cake. I love to not have to watch what i eat. When I hit my 275 plateau it stayed there for over a month. Then I started with the "Ill shock my system" well that to me is like a recovering drug addict (which I am w/9yr clean) just going to get high for one day. IT DON'T WORK. I was back out of control with food.

Im not one that goes on "extreme deficits and crazy workout programs". The only thing I do extreme is over eat when I am not following a program and watching my food intake. Its always a struggle.

No one said it was going to be easy. You have to want it bad enough. That's all there is to it. I can't help you with your lack of self control. Only you can do that.

My advice to you is just keep trying. I tried for months and months and months to gain self control. I failed so many times and ended up pigging out. But I just kept trying again and again until I could get a hold of it.