eating schedule - meals per day

Options
2»

Replies

• mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you eat. Eat when it works best for you.

That said, I am quite sure you are eating too little.

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
    I just did this and this site says I should be getting 400-500 more calories a day than MFP says. Maybe that's why I haven't been loosing for a while?
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For me, it kinda goes like this....if I restrict too much I want it to be over as soon as possible and create unrealistic goals

if I have a modest deficit, I'm in less of a hurry because it's not as painful
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the add.

I eat about 1200 calories a day, too. Usually less as I am not hungry enough to eat more than I do. My food is nutrient dense and I'd rather eat 1200 calories of nutrient-dense food than add another 300 calories of whatever just to get to 1500.

To answer your question, the idea of grazing is that you keep your sugar levels rather stable throughout the day. Some folks have sugar spikes and drops and it affects how they feel.

If this isn't you, no need to worry. It isn't me, but if I need a snack, I eat a peach or an apple.

Your body is like a machine it needs X amount of calories for it to function properly. Eating less than your body needs to function right isn't the correct course of action, just because you've got some skewed view of food sources. Your body doesn't care where it's getting it's nutrients from, only that it's getting it and a proper amount to function.

I rely on the Harris-Benedict studies. At 54 years of age, female, 5'6", lightly active, the right amount of calories I need to consume to lose 1 to 1.5 pounds per week is approximately 1228.

As we age, our metabolisms slow down.

It's science.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the add.

I eat about 1200 calories a day, too. Usually less as I am not hungry enough to eat more than I do. My food is nutrient dense and I'd rather eat 1200 calories of nutrient-dense food than add another 300 calories of whatever just to get to 1500.

To answer your question, the idea of grazing is that you keep your sugar levels rather stable throughout the day. Some folks have sugar spikes and drops and it affects how they feel.

If this isn't you, no need to worry. It isn't me, but if I need a snack, I eat a peach or an apple.

Your body is like a machine it needs X amount of calories for it to function properly. Eating less than your body needs to function right isn't the correct course of action, just because you've got some skewed view of food sources. Your body doesn't care where it's getting it's nutrients from, only that it's getting it and a proper amount to function.

I rely on the Harris-Benedict studies. At 54 years of age, female, 5'6", lightly active, the right amount of calories I need to consume to lose 1 to 1.5 pounds per week is approximately 1228.

It's science.

Lol...the Harris benedict calculator gave me 1700 for my activity level and stats to maintain my 5'3.5" 120 lb body at my activity level. I LOSE weight at that, even calculated for my age. I understand metabolism slows down with age but not as significantly as you'd think. I think from 26 to 60 I lose 200 calories. I maintain my weight at 2150ish.

Nothing is exact science when it comes to simple calculators. I can agree that everyone is different but I would also challenge that you need that little to lose

ETA:

nlecgl.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    why does everyone talk about eating X amount of small meals per day? I have a 1200/day calorie allowance. I dont see how 4 or 5 or 6 "meals" a day is even possible. does it really count as a meal vs a snack if youre trying to keep it under 300 calories? does it matter how many times a day you eat? I feel like i only eat 1 "meal" a day and snack throughout the rest of the day on fruit, lean meat i keep in the fridge, small amounts of chips and salsa, popcorn etc and i feel ok with this. how do you break up your calories throughout the day?

Not everyone does...only people who don't know any better. It was discovered that eating several small meals a day may increase you metabolism...like by just a tiny, teensy...weensy...itsy, bitsy little bit...maybe perhaps. And that got blown up into, "eat 6 times per day and your body turns into a raging calorie burning furnace magically."
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the add.

It's science.

Lol...the Harris benedict calculator gave me 1700 for my activity level and stats to maintain my 5'3.5" 120 lb body at my activity level. I LOSE weight at that, even calculated for my age. I understand metabolism slows down with age but not as significantly as you'd think. I think from 26 to 60 I lose 200 calories. I maintain my weight at 2150ish.

Nothing is exact science when it comes to simple calculators. I can agree that everyone is different but I would also challenge that you need that little to lose

ETA:

nlecgl.jpg
    [/quote

I'm glad you find it amusing.

Do you have multiple sclerosis?

Do you know how MS affects metabolism?

This is why I refrain from judging anyone's choices on public forums.

No one knows the whole story.

I'll keep trusting the science.

It's kept me alive, running marathons, lifting weights, and feeling good.

All at 1200 calories a day.

*wink*
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the add.

It's science.

ETA:

nlecgl.jpg
    [/quote

I'm glad you find it amusing.

Do you have multiple sclerosis?

Do you know how MS affects metabolism?

This is why I refrain from judging anyone's choices on public forums.

No one knows the whole story.

I'll keep trusting the science.

It's kept me alive, running marathons, lifting weights, and feeling good.

All at 1200 calories a day.

*wink*

Medical conditions are a completely different topic ENTIRELY. And if, in the event, OP had stated she had medical issues which made it to where she needed to eat at a lower calorie amount, I don't think anyone would criticize.

I'm sorry you neglected to say that and just insist that it's because of your age to try and flame mw.

No. Medical conditions shouldn't be joked about but they were never mentioned and you should not use your caloric intake as a safe amount for everyone just because you need to