legs turning all cottage cheesy!

Options
When I was heavier my legs were fairly smooth. Yes I had cellulite but the overall appearance was smooth
Now I have lost weight my legs have gone all cottage cheesy with some very noticeable lumps and craters!

While this looks awful I am really hoping that it is due to fat deposits going away, but unevenly, leaving these craters and eventually it will redistribute evenly again.

Anyone know if I am right? Or am I just horribly deluded?

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'd probably have that issue if it wasn't for the fact I weight train. I've lost a lot of weight in my legs but they are relatively smooth because of the muscle I have built up. Honestly, your legs will probably just smooth out over time but building up muscle is the best way to get rid of it.
  • IowaPrincess
    IowaPrincess Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.
    Unfortunately your skin was pulled tighter when you weighed more....now that is havs room to "relax" its relaxing and showing whats under the surface.
    Fear not!!! Continued weight loss and adding muscle can help diminish the appearance of it.
    Its all a process. :heart: :heart:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost all the cottage cheese from my body. I have a tiny bit left on the insides of my thighs, but the rest is gone. So don't give up hope.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thank you lovely people. Respect to all cottage cheese conquerors!!
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're getting "squishy fat." Which isn't bad at all, it's actually a huge sign of progress!

When your fat gets all squishy or feels marbly or looks like cottage cheese beyond normal cellulite range, it means you're making progress because your body's begun to get rid of some of your fat stores. When it's firm and solid feeling that fat's not going anywhere. I've experienced this before when it was all squishy when I was losing then I stopped using MFP for a couple months and it grew firm again because I was no longer burning off fat. Turned squishy again after I started eating at a deficit again and losing.

Here's an article covering one theory about why this happens. It also mentions one possible explanation why sometimes you go for weeks without losing then suddenly lose a lot, which happens to me. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Plus as another user posted your skin was more stretched out when you had more weight and skin takes time to catch up to weight loss. Exfoliating regularly, moisturizing your skin, and drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated should help improve skin elasticity.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a really good read. Thank you for the link. I really hope I'm due for a whoosh soon :)
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Read these first:
    https://gokaleo.com/2013/03/06/cellulite-its-time-we-all-just-get-the-hell-over-it/
    https://gokaleo.com/2013/03/13/cellulite-mythology/

It's normal, not a bad thing.

Second: weight training! Build more muscle, it will make it look tighter.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Don't shoot the messenger, but what you are seeing could be loose skin that appears to emphasize the cellulite. Cellulite is fat. Losing fat decreases cellulite, although most women would have to be severely underweight to be free of all cellulite.