My success with Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• taz12
    taz12 Posts: 32
    Options
    I used to despise it. Now I am totally addicted. I eat it every morning and its become my favourite meal of the day.

Youve got to try it with a teaspoon of honey and grated granny smith apple. Sooo delicious. Also I teaspoon of honey, half a banana and some raspberries or blueberries. So yummy and really good for you.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it, but that's because I was cooking it in water and not adding the "right" ingredients to flavor it. I personally use almond milk to cook it, and I flavor it with sugar free protein powders so I get fiber and protein together for double the appetite killing punch. I also add strawberries and cinnamon and it is great!

I've hated it every time I tasted it made with water...no matter what I dumped in it to flavor it...but almond milk only adds 60 calories, very little fat, no cholesterol...etc.

And it gives me a great amount of energy for my intense workouts!!!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Oatmeal has the oppsite effect on me. I eat more the whole day. WHY!!!

Me too...I always wondered if I was an odd ball b/c everyone talks a bout how filling it is. But it doesn't do it for me.

Me three. If I have oatmeal I end up eating more throughout the day. It's weird...

Me four. I have tried different types of oatmeal and I always make it with milk or soymilk and it is so yummy, but I end up just wanting more :frown: I am actually trying to cut oatmeal OUT of my diet after I finish the one huge container I bought
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I :heart: oatmeal! I eat my old-fashioned oats six mornings a week. Sunday is pancake day. I put Sugar in the Raw and cinnamon in mine. I use a fair amount of salt when I cook it too, which makes it so much tastier. I don't worry much about sodium. My BP is pretty low (90/60 on average) and I don't eat a lot of processed foods, so I figure I'm OK to add salt to my foods to taste.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it, but that's because I was cooking it in water and not adding the "right" ingredients to flavor it. I personally use almond milk to cook it, and I flavor it with sugar free protein powders so I get fiber and protein together for double the appetite killing punch. I also add strawberries and cinnamon and it is great!

I've hated it every time I tasted it made with water...no matter what I dumped in it to flavor it...but almond milk only adds 60 calories, very little fat, no cholesterol...etc.

And it gives me a great amount of energy for my intense workouts!!!

Thanks for the almond milk tip. Tried old fashioned oatmeal today for the first time (instead of my beloved instant pouches). I used water and .... ick. Even with a couple packets of splenda and some peanut butter, it was okay but not GOOD. Maybe the almond milk will help it out. (Do you use original, vanilla? Sweetened or unsweeteend?)

The other weird finding is.... I'm now pretty hungry. It didn't seem to satisfy like the instant stuff. That HAS to be in my head!
  • krisandra
    krisandra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can also add liquid Stevia for no addtional calories. You can also make Lemonade with this or "homeade Sprite" Just add lemon juice (the real stuff not "real Lemon") and a couple drops of Stevia and there you go or add it to sparkling water. SOOO GOOD!! I add stevia to everything
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options

are you eating the "instant" oatmeal with the added flavours? It's loaded with refined sugars that spike your insulin just like sugar cereals.

Try Oats (not instant) with cinnamon and some natural peanut butter?
  • vanessahardy190
    Options
    Please don't judge this recipe until you try it! My husband introduced me to it last year. We both eat this 3-4 times a week as it's a great filler and is packed with nutrition!
    Take 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese(fat free, low sodium) and about 1/4 cup of skim milk. Mix it into a glass dish and microwave for about 2 minutes. Mix it all up until the cottage cheese is completely melted. Add some stevia or splenda brown sugar for taste. I use just
    I know it sounds weird but it make a great texture and it really sticks to the ribs. We eat around 5:30 am and I I'm not hungry until lunch.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal 5-6 days a week and love it! 1/4 cup frozen blueberries and 2tbls wheat germ and 1tbls brown sugar. YUMMY!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    are you eating the "instant" oatmeal with the added flavours? It's loaded with refined sugars that spike your insulin just like sugar cereals.

Try Oats (not instant) with cinnamon and some natural peanut butter?

Don't know about the other people with this problem, but I eat Quakers instant whole oats (not in packets, no flavoring) and still want to eat more!
  • Tinkerbell785
    Options
    I'm 50/50 with oatmeal, sometimes it makes me quite full and sometimes it doesn't although it wouldn't make me eat more throughout the day either. I also put a teaspoon of honey in it and then either a small box of raisins or two teaspoons of reduced-sugar jam!

Never tried brown sugar on it but I think I'll give it a go, just checking it out on the database and there's not a whole lot of difference between it and white sugar (per teaspoon: brown has 12cals and 3g of sugar, white has 16cals and 4g sugar) but it all adds up especially if you eat it every day so brown sugar it is!!
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the instant... too expensive. I use the large container and I add some brown sugar and some I can't believe it's not butter.... Yummy!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Quick question on oatmeal!

I have been using this site:
    http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

to measure my oatmeal in Tbs. It says 4Tbs (1/4c) is 56g, which, according to my oatmeal container, is about 200 calories!

Then I went on Quaker (English) website and compared nutrition info on two products similar to the one I have. It says 1/2c instant oatmeal is 40g, and 1/4c steel cut oats is 40g. So now I am confused about how much oatmeal I have actually been eating... I usually have 1/4c because the calories are too over!

My oatmeal is Quaker Instant Whole Oats, but I cannot find that on the English site, and the Chinese site doesn't have this info :tongue: It only gives nutrition facts by grams, and I don't have a scale (living at grandparents' house)

Thanks for any insight on this issue!! If it turns out I can have 1/2c of oatmeal for 142 calories, I will be so excited!
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Quick question on oatmeal!

I have been using this site:
    http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

to measure my oatmeal in Tbs. It says 4Tbs (1/4c) is 56g, which, according to my oatmeal container, is about 200 calories!

Then I went on Quaker (English) website and compared nutrition info on two products similar to the one I have. It says 1/2c instant oatmeal is 40g, and 1/4c steel cut oats is 40g. So now I am confused about how much oatmeal I have actually been eating... I usually have 1/4c because the calories are too over!

My oatmeal is Quaker Instant Whole Oats, but I cannot find that on the English site, and the Chinese site doesn't have this info :tongue: It only gives nutrition facts by grams, and I don't have a scale (living at grandparents' house)

Thanks for any insight on this issue!! If it turns out I can have 1/2c of oatmeal for 142 calories, I will be so excited!

quaker instant oats is roughly 145g per 1/2c
  • ChelseaPilon
    Options
    It may sound weird...but don't knock it 'til you try it! Regular Quaker oatmeal (1/2 cup serving) w/ 1 tbsp sugar-free jelly. Tastes AMAZING (I use Smuckers sugar-free blackberry). Also oatmeal with vanilla yogurt...tastes like a parfait :D
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Quaker Quick Rolled Oats Oatmeal: 1/2 C (dry) or 40g
    Add 1 C water (liquid) (makes one cup)

Calories 150
    Total Fat 3 g
    Saturated 1 g
    Polyunsaturated 1 g
    Monounsaturated 1 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 5 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Total Carbs 27 g
    Dietary Fiber 4 g
    Sodium 0 mg
    Potassium 0 mg
    Sugars 1 g
  • naughtydoguk
    Options
    I normally have instant oatmeal, I picked some different stuff today, just need to work out the best flavor combinations now.

http://www.mornflake.com/products/oats/superfast.php#info
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options

... That is a pretty big difference!

http://www.quaker.com.tw/cereals_Productview.asp?CataOne_ID=28&Product_ID=52
    This is a link to the product page - what is the difference between the instant oats and quick rolled oats?
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options

... That is a pretty big difference!

http://www.quaker.com.tw/cereals_Productview.asp?CataOne_ID=28&Product_ID=52
    This is a link to the product page - what is the difference between the instant oats and quick rolled oats?

The Quick Rolled Oats have to be cooked before eating. We mix, and pop in the microwave for about two minutes - 150 calories. The instant oats are just that - put in a bowl, pour hot water over them, stir and eat. In the first case you get a hearty cup full of food for 150 calories. In the second you get roughly 1/2 C of cereal if you follow the package directions and 100 calories. The instant is OK if you're doing it at work but the quick oats provide a much better base. It's half as much yield but only 1/3 fewer calories.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Me too...I always wondered if I was an odd ball b/c everyone talks a bout how filling it is. But it doesn't do it for me.

Me three. If I have oatmeal I end up eating more throughout the day. It's weird...

Me four. I have tried different types of oatmeal and I always make it with milk or soymilk and it is so yummy, but I end up just wanting more :frown: I am actually trying to cut oatmeal OUT of my diet after I finish the one huge container I bought

Me Five...I thought I was the weird one...