Chicken is bad for you

Options
MaiLinna
MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
"Red meat and cheeses are the best things you could ever eat. Vegetarians are slowly killing themselves because they're not getting any real protein from red meat. Protein from beans and tofu are fake. They aren't real. They aren't protein. You're eating too much broccoli, too many green beans, and not enough beef. You're going to get sick. That chicken you ate is terrible for you."

- Things my mother said today at lunch. We went to a Chinese buffet and I got a plateful of garlic chicken and broccoli and green beans with a cup of soup, and she spent half the time we were there telling me that I don't eat enough red meat and I'm just going to end up killing myself.

It makes me laugh a little, but she always seems to be right about everything so it scares me. I am not diagnosed with hypoglycemia, but I have shown symptoms. At the same time, they all, and I mean ALL, went away after I changed my diet and lifestyle.

If I'm hypoglycemic, am I going to kill myself if I don't eat red meat and cheese?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're at a chinese buffet.

everything you ate was probably slathered in msg and fat.

People survive just fine with out red meat-

why on gods green earth would you want to? I have absolutely NO clue. cow and lamb are a huge part of my diet.

But it's perfectly fine as long as you are eating what you like, meeting your goals and not having medical issues. b12 and iron things may be an issue- so watch that- but no. you do not NEED red meat.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Nobody constantly has hypoglycemia, and meats and cheeses shouldn't affect blood sugar levels that much at all. Anyone could have a hypoglycemia episode, even if they have type II diabetes or a regular person. It's all about the type of carbs that you are eating. And lean chicken is way better for you than red meat and cheese.

I found that my idiopathic reactive hypoglycemia is caused by drinking diet pop without eating or not eating enough, it ends up starving your brain of energy. HOWEVER, if you don't have diabetes, idiopathic reactive hypoglycemia shouldn't be dangerous. The reason you had symptoms was because you either skips meals or ate easily metabolized carbohydrates. If you are worried about low blood sugar levels then talk to your doctor about your diet and look into reactive hypoglycemia more, I'm not sure you quite understand it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia
    Here's an article on it, some people have resting blood sugar levels at hypoglycemic range as well if you ever test yourself. Mine is like 69-72 but there are no symptoms.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Eats chicken, beef, cheese, and other "bad" things crew. My resting heart rate if 54 and my blood pressure is 115/75 and I'm 41 years old. This stuff is not bad for you.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Your mom is hilarious, you should get her into stand-up.
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    You're at a chinese buffet.

everything you ate was probably slathered in msg and fat.

People survive just fine with out red meat-

why on gods green earth would you want to? I have absolutely NO clue. cow and lamb are a huge part of my diet.

But it's perfectly fine as long as you are eating what you like, meeting your goals and not having medical issues. b12 and iron things may be an issue- so watch that- but no. you do not NEED red meat.

Just msg honestly, if you saw what I ate. No cream sauces, just soy sauce and garlic <3 I do well.

Red meat is very expensive where I live. I also hate anything that isn't a good cut of beef, like, ah...filet mignon. XD I hate ground beef with a passion. So gross. Give me a rare steak, chilled in the middle, bloody...oh God I lick the plate clean.
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha-- tell that to the millions of Indian People that abstain from Red Meat in India.

Edited to say: It is absolutely possible to be fine without red meat.
    I've been a vegetarian my whole life and my blood work/physical is always healthy and normal even though I gotta whole bunch of weight I wanna lose! :)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I've eaten beef once in the past 28 years. Still here. Not anemic or hypoglycemic. Mind your nutrients and eat what you want.

ETA:
    Vegetarians are slowly killing themselves./quote]

If it takes them 70-80 years to do it, who cares?
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Is your mother one who believes that chickens are fed feed loaded with antibiotics and hormones? (Not true, btw) That's the only reason I can think of for people claiming chicken is bad for you. I love chicken, beef, cheese, and all kinds of things. And yeah, I'm losing weight eating these things--just less of them than I was before.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    My mom used to tell me if I went to bed with my hair wet, I would wake up blind.:laugh: Mom's are funny like that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Gotta love Moms and there worries.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Your mom may be right about many things but not this. This debunks some of her statements with science: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/02/12/5-quick-tips-choosing-healthy-protein-foods/
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Lol silly mom.

I don't eat read meat and haven't ever really. Just once in a blue moon.

I just turned 30, and don't see death coming for me via my next chicken breast ;-)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    My mom used to tell me if I went to bed with my hair wet, I would wake up blind.:laugh: Mom's are funny like that.

IDEA Fitness member

Oh so thats why I'm going blind
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Oh so thats why I'm going blind

My grandma always said blindness was caused by *kitten*. But wet hair is a new one!
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    No food is bad (I mean food, not processed crap)

All is in balance and moderation
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yep, chickens will murder you in your sleep. Best to sleep with one eye open, just in case. :flowerforyou:
  • MaiLinna
    Options
    Nobody constantly has hypoglycemia, and meats and cheeses shouldn't affect blood sugar levels that much at all. Anyone could have a hypoglycemia episode, even if they have type II diabetes or a regular person. It's all about the type of carbs that you are eating. And lean chicken is way better for you than red meat and cheese.

I found that my idiopathic reactive hypoglycemia is caused by drinking diet pop without eating or not eating enough, it ends up starving your brain of energy. HOWEVER, if you don't have diabetes, idiopathic reactive hypoglycemia shouldn't be dangerous. The reason you had symptoms was because you either skips meals or ate easily metabolized carbohydrates. If you are worried about low blood sugar levels then talk to your doctor about your diet and look into reactive hypoglycemia more, I'm not sure you quite understand it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia
    Here's an article on it, some people have resting blood sugar levels at hypoglycemic range as well if you ever test yourself. Mine is like 69-72 but there are no symptoms.

I start getting symptoms around 65 or lower, but usually above 65 I feel fine. My mother and boyfriend are diabetic, and my father is a diagnosed hypoglycemic, so I don't understand how you can't be a hypoglycemic. It says right in his medical records that he is a hypoglycemic.
  • reachrenhere
    reachrenhere Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you are hypoglycemic one of the best foods for you is beans, ie. chick peas and black beans and all of those kinds. They are slow digesting carbs that help keep blood sugar stable.

I don't even understand where your mom could be coming from? That doesn't even sound like any old wives tales from the past. Who is feeding her this nonsense? (no pun intended)
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Lol at the "fake protein" part. I always knew legumes had a secret agenda to kill us all...