'Go-To' Foods

Options
riffraff2112
riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
Here are three meals that I eat almost everyday because they are easy to make, tasty, protein rich, and low in calories (relative to how filling they are). Also they are very portable with some pre-planning and a decent lunch tote, some tupperware and an ice pack.

They can also be changed by switching a few ingredients to mix things up or add macronutrients.

I am getting a little bored and looking for a few new meals that fall under the same criteria that I may have overlooked. Please add some of your favourites and why you like them! Also any additives that you have tried and would recommend would be appreciated.

#1 Cottage cheese mixed with yogurt (for a total of 1 cup).

Cottage cheese alone just doesn't do it for me....kinda bland

To which I will add one or more of the following
- all-bran cereal for some fiber and to fill me up.
- protein powder (it does dissolve in yogurt), on workout days. A bit of an acquired taste I'm afraid
- fruit, usually 1/2 banana
- nuts (shaved almonds)
- granola (about 1/4 cup)
- trail mix (about1/8 cup)

#2 Omelette
- 1 full egg, + 1 egg white or Egg Beaters/ Liquid Egg product
- sliced turkey deli breast meat, or turkey bacon (both are only 30 cals per serving...about one hand sized slice)
- one of green onions, onions, red pepper
- leftover roasted potatoes (kind of like hash browns)
- I have even thrown in whole grained rice from the night before. I like the texture and it is a very filling additive.

Depending on the number of additives, I will often add a slice of toast to boost the carb count up or to be more filling.

#3 Kale salad

our costco (I have seen at other supermarkets but not quite as tasty ) sells an amazing Kale Salad Kit. I think its called Kale super 7 mix or something like that. Going grocery shopping tomorrow but the actual name escapes me now...damn.

Regardless the kit comes with the salad, the dressing, some nuts and cranberries. It is amazing to eat but I usually add a few other things to make it a full meal

- more nuts, trail mix
- turkey meat (as in my omelette)
- shredded cheese (just a little..unfortunately most cheeses are pretty high in cals and fat)
- artificial crab meat (amazingly low in cals and contains a decent amount of protein)..quite expensive but I love to snack on this stuff also

That is my fav. three. Please help me out and share some of your Go-To meals or foods