Hello everyone!!

Options
eric5577
eric5577 Posts: 65 Member
Hi there..

My name is Eric and I am returning to myfitnesspal! I used this awhile ago and lost 20pds in one month using this app, then I stopped. I thought I knew it all after that, well I was wrong!! I am 6'2 and weight 325, that was a month ago, and feel like I am losing more. I will know how much more next week when I go back to the Dr.

I am back to lose weight, I am concerned at my weight, bad new is right around the corner!! I am on med's for High BP, Cholesterol; although those numbers have come down, but they could be better. My biggest concern is diabetes, even though my numbers have never indicated I was close to being one. I am an EMT and see what diabetes can do to a person!!! I tend to eat right; most of the time, but I lack the exercise portion of dieting. I tend to walk as much as can, more over the past few weeks. I have a membership to the YMCA that I do not use. My biggest concern is when I get walking, I tend to hurt my foot; I have RA in my big left toe. I also have arthritis is my knee from an accident in HS. Every time I get going, something flares up. Which is why I got the YMCA membership so I can swim, but silly me has not taken that advantage!!!

It is not all bad!! I started this mission of mine weighing in at a shocking 350!!! So yes, I have lost 25pds over the past few months, and I feel better, but I know there is more to go!!!! When I was in my 20's I was diagnosed with gout, and I have to admit I was embarrassed about it.....which lead me to lose 85pds over 5 months, my lowest I got was 240! Then I stopped doing what I was doing...gained it all back; plus more, and because of this, I got myself on a monthly dose of meds....smart huh!!! I will prob be on these for the rest of my life due to the fact we have a family HX of High BP and Chol. My 68 yr old father who is in much better shape than me is on meds for Chol.

I am married and we are starting our path to have kids. To be honest; I would love nothing more to grow old with them!!!!! If I continue down this path, I might not make it that far in their journey......I love my wife, I love my life......SO WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR ME TO GET THIS THROUGH MY THICK SKULL!!!! I ask myself that all the time, but I never have an answer good enough for me...It is always "I'll start tomorrow"....................When I asked myself this question today, my answer was "I AM STARTING NOW, NOT TOMORROW"

Thanks for your time
Eric
37yrs old weighing in at 325!

Replies

• dustsettles
    dustsettles Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey Eric!

Welcome back! Congrats on making the decision to do something about it today! All of your walking sounds perfect- you are on the right track. And since you're an EMT, I'm sure you know all the right things to do, it's just about putting it all to practice. Don't worry about being perfect, and don't be too hard on your self. One step at a time. As long as you make a step in the right direction everyday, then you are moving forward towards your goals!

Check these out to help get you started up again…

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls/view/3-years-of-mfp-130-pounds-lost-what-i-ve-learned-669627

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like! I'm on here everyday provided I'm not on a camping trip! Good luck! :)

-Laura
  • eric5577
    Options
    Thank you for the Welcome!! The info you posted will be read!! Thanks again!!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have lost and gained my weight more times than I can count, and yet, here I am again. This time I hope will be the last! I swim at our YMCA sometimes, and it really feels great! You can do it!
  • eric5577
    Options
    Sad part is, I like to swim. Use to swim as a kid on a swim team...so not sure why I wont get back in.....
  • nene723
    nene723 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Eric, I wish you success on your journey. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Tamara
  • kyrawolfe3
    kyrawolfe3 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi Eric :)

Feel free to add me. I love reading others daily progress and would love to help each other stay on track :)
  • potchizle
    potchizle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey Eric,

I have read your post and feel your frustration. Like you I have high bp - on meds - and my cholesterol is also high - not on meds. My family has a history of heart disease, and at one point when I went to see the doctor, my blood pressure was so high it was approaching stroke range. So began my journey to a healthiere lifestyle. I also have problems with old injuries and such which limit my mobility at times. Try water arobics, as well as swimming, to help strengthen your joints which were affected by the old injuries. Feel free to add me as a friend (gonna send a request to you now) as I feel we have a lot in common.

Good luck!