Plan to start IIFYM

Options
hmrambling
hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
I was using an app provided through my health insurance for free that suggested the following:

HealthyNow:
Calories: 1300
Protein: 20% (65 grams)
Carbs: 50% (163 grams)
Fat: 30% (43 grams)

I have been following it and have had some success in weight loss.

My averages while following the suggestions above:
Calories: 1332
Protein: 17% (58 grams)
Carbs: 50% (168 grams)
Fat: 32% (48 grams)

You might see that the app does not account for calories burned during exercise, and there is no allotment for "eating the calories back." Even though I have been exercising I have been following the suggestion above for about a month.

Aaand I've been here on MFP for about a month. I've been reading on IIFYM

IIFYM:
BMR is 1499
TDEE is 2061

Choose Goals: Fat loss - 1546
Per day Per meal
Calories 1546 515
Carbs 139.2 46.2
Protein 143.8 47.9
Fat 46 15.3
Fiber 31-39 10-13

I suppose I am scared of putting weight back on by eating more calories. I am 5'5", 38 years old, and work out usually 3-5 times a week. I use the elliptical trainer for about 45 minutes to an hour and lift weights. My goal weight is 130 lbs. Does this calorie count seem about right? I've read the success stories with IIFYM, and am willing to try it. I suppose I need to get over my concern of packing on weight by increasing my calorie intake.

TIA

Hope

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    143 grams of protein probably isn't necessary. You can calculate 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, which for you would probably be between 95 and 105 grams. The calorie calculation looks good, though. You can probably get away with 1800 calories if you wanted. It would be a slower loss, but much more pleasant.

Make sure you are accurate with your calculations. Weigh your food on a scale (in grams), and count everything you eat.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    143 grams of protein probably isn't necessary. You can calculate 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, which for you would probably be between 95 and 105 grams. The calorie calculation looks good, though. You can probably get away with 1800 calories if you wanted. It would be a slower loss, but much more pleasant.

Make sure you are accurate with your calculations. Weigh your food on a scale (in grams), and count everything you eat.

Yup
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you have to lose to get to 130 lbs, that sounds about right if not even still a little low. A moderate calorie deficit is TDEE less 20%, so in your case about 1650. I'm 5'5 and 130 lbs and I'm still losing weight eating at 1500-1600, so don't worry about gaining weight. That won't happen if you are eating below your TDEE. I also choose to balance out my macros 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Are you losing with what you're doing? If so, how much? All of these calculators are just estimates...regardless of what calculator you use, you're going to have to make adjustments or not as per real world results.

If what you're doing is working and you aren't losing too quickly and aren't having any other issues then why switch it? There's nothing magical about IIFYM...in fact, IIFYM isn't a website or calculator, they're just capitalizing on the concept that was made popular on bodybuilding.com.

The IIFYM calculator is just like any other TDEE calculator where you include your exercise up front in the calculation rather than accounting for it afterwards and eating back calories. IMHO, the protein goals are too high because they use 1 gram per Lb of bodyweight which is completely and utterly unnecessary...1 gram per Lb of LBM is optimal...as a female you do not need 143.8 grams of protein per day. I take in around 145 grams and I can tell you that it can be a challenge without supplementation.

All that said, the difference between 1546 and 1332 isn't all that great...just over 200 calories. Again, you need to examine as a trend how much you've been losing...if you're happy with it, don't change it. You aren't going to gain anything eating 1546, but you are going to lose at a slower rate than you would at 1332...that's just the math. Most women maintain at around 1800 - 2000 without deliberate exercise, so you aren't going to put on fat eating 1546. You need to get yourself comfortable with the math and understand the math.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 1/2" and I burn between 1600 and 2250 per day, as measured by my Bodymedia. I would expect you to burn slightly more with slightly more body mass. I eat between 1200 and 2000 calories a day (and occasionally more) in order to lose a slow and steady pound every 10-14 days.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that there's a misconception that IIFYM is the website. IIFYM is just a style of eating where you hit your protein and fat goals with mostly nutritious food but leaving room for treats here and there. The website is just a calculator.

But I think you probably do need more protein. Just not 143 grams worth.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't fix what's not broken. However, I'd be worried about muscle loss on the original diet due to the lower calories/lower protein.
  • hmrambling
    Options
    I've lost nearly 10lbs in just over a month. I'm not really allowing for many treats with the 1300 calorie goal. I usually use Saturday and Sunday as cheat days. I go over on those days. Otherwise, I usually fall below the 1300 calorie goal. I am 155 now and have a goal of 130. I believe I am losing fairly quickly. I am also gaining muscle from the exercise.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I hate to burst your bubble but muscle building happens under only ideal conditions for newbies to strength training who are eating at a non aggressive calorie deficit for a teeny window and then those in a calorie surplus.

Losing weight, you reveal muscle underneath. Exercises cause retention of fluid that could make them appear bigger. But you are not gaining muscle.

I lost 53 lbs while weightlifting eating 1650 net at 5'3.5 ". Calculators are a good start but you need to pick an amount wait a few weeks adjust accordingly.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 10lbs in just over a month. I'm not really allowing for many treats with the 1300 calorie goal. I usually use Saturday and Sunday as cheat days. I go over on those days. Otherwise, I usually fall below the 1300 calorie goal. I am 155 now and have a goal of 130. I believe I am losing fairly quickly. I am also gaining muscle from the exercise.

so 10 lb in 4 weeks is just over 2 lb a week. That is fast for someone with only 25 lb to go. Fast weight loss can mean loss of LBM as well as fat.

It also tells us that you are on about a 1,000 calorie deficit per day. [1 lb weight ~ 3,500 cals; 2 lb/week = 7,000 cal deficit per week].

So, yes, eat more. Add at least 500 more cals per day. And up your protein to about 100 g/day. You'll lose slower, but you'll lose predominantly fat, not lean body mass.
  • hmrambling
    Options
    BombshellPhoe was probably correct. I am seeing muscle due to working out and losing weight. I get that IIFYM is just a way to determine which foods I can eat.

If I do 40, 30, 30, the breakdown looks like this:

Carbohydrates 150.0g
    Protein 112.0g
    Fat 50.0g

And here's what today looks like:
    Calories 1,065
    Carbs 180
    Protein 33
    Fat 26
    Fiber 17

That's for all 3 meals. That will probably help you tell where the weight loss has come in.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think the fat grams are a little low
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    BombshellPhoe was probably correct. I am seeing muscle due to working out and losing weight. I get that IIFYM is just a way to determine which foods I can eat.

If I do 40, 30, 30, the breakdown looks like this:

Carbohydrates 150.0g
    Protein 112.0g
    Fat 50.0g

This looks a lot more manageable
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

so 10 lb in 4 weeks is just over 2 lb a week. That is fast for someone with only 25 lb to go. Fast weight loss can mean loss of LBM as well as fat.

It also tells us that you are on about a 1,000 calorie deficit per day. [1 lb weight ~ 3,500 cals; 2 lb/week = 7,000 cal deficit per week].

So, yes, eat more. Add at least 500 more cals per day. And up your protein to about 100 g/day. You'll lose slower, but you'll lose predominantly fat, not lean body mass.

I'd mentally subtract 5 pounds from the first drop for glycogen - so 5 pounds lost in the first month or 1.25 per week. But that's just me and based on my experience with my own body.
  • hmrambling
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback
  • hmrambling
    Options
    Having reviewed my protein intake and the fact that it is regularly low compared to my goals, I ordered Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey (chocolate mint flavor). I hope by incorporating this into my diet that I get my protein up. I cooked eggs over the weekend and I ate pan seared chicken breast (which I weighed) with my salads. I will continue to look at how I can get the protein where it needs to be so that I can successfully lose weight and maintain muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Having reviewed my protein intake and the fact that it is regularly low compared to my goals, I ordered Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey (chocolate mint flavor). I hope by incorporating this into my diet that I get my protein up. I cooked eggs over the weekend and I ate pan seared chicken breast (which I weighed) with my salads. I will continue to look at how I can get the protein where it needs to be so that I can successfully lose weight and maintain muscle.

You need to hit your fat goals too...you're coming in well under if wheat you posted before is a typical day. This will also help increase calories without a lot of volume.

As it is, you're not really hitting your macro or calorie goals.
  • hmrambling
    Options
    Past 5 days averages:
    Calorie 1297
    Carbs 144.2g
    Fat 45.8
    Protein 77.2
    Fiber 12.8
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    More protein probably but aim for .8-1 gram per pound, your probably wont need more. I have had good results in the range. Increasing when I am leaned out more.
  • hmrambling
    Options
    Update. I am doing better at meeting my macros than when I originally posted.

a9ty83.jpg

Thanks for all of your help :)