Just starting, have a few questions..

Options
ghmdm8utb
ghmdm8utb Posts: 5 Member
So the past 2 years I've gained over 50 lbs..
I moved to New York and with that I stopped working out.
I eat fast food everyday, breakfast, lunch and dinner..
So far I'm on day 2 of no fast food and its very difficult for me.
1)Do you think that by not eating fast food for every meal I will start to lose some weight?
I've been eating wheat veggie sandwiches with hummus, I can't believe it's not butter, simple changes
2)Is that enough for starting out?

Thank you guys, hope I can stick with it. I'm sick of not going out in public because of my weight
I want a change.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

Eat "healthy" 80% of the time, and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Please read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

For weight loss, you do not need to cut out fast food at all. Just stick to your deficit.
    However, for health, an eating plan comprised of 80% "good" food and 20% "bad" food is optimal. I put those words in quotes because everyone classifies the food in their lives differently. I do no consider any food "bad" unless it is legitimately bad due to spoilage. If you enjoy fast food, do not give it entirely. Just reduce the frequency. You will be more successful eating foods you enjoy because you will be setting yourself up for the rest of your life. If you cut out a laundry list of foods for no reason than you are on a diet, you will more than likely end up overeating that food. In my opinion the only reason to cut out a food is due to an allergy, dislike for, or religious reason (like I won't eat olives because I don't like them). And don't eat a food you don't like just because someone said its good for you and you should (like kale for example - I'm not a fan of kale either lol)
  • amanda_louise27
    Options
    Changing your eating habits will be beneficial, and as long as it's healthier alternatives, it should help your weight. Of course, calories matter in that equation too, but I think as a general rule of thumb, fast food is unhealthier and has more calories than other food.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Fast food is not evil. You can be on an all fast food diet and still lose weight. Just fit it into your calorie goal for the day. I'm not saying you should, but it is possible.

Basically, just eat whatever you want and try to stick to your calorie goal. That's enough for starting out. Once you have the calorie goal part down, you can start making other small changes to move toward a healthier you.