Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Just opened coconut yesterday, going bad already?

I just opened a brown coconut for the first time yesterday. It took about 50 really hard whacks with a hammer. I took off all the husk off the meat. Today when going to eat a chunk, it was already molding! Other pieces were molding as well. Was there something wrong with my coconut? Why would it be going bad in one day? (refrigerated).

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    D: oh noez. Did you have it in a container or?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Was there liquid in it? If not, it might have been cracked or something. Gotta shake them things first.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    acksaysbillthecat1 said:I just opened a brown coconut for the first time yesterday. It took about 50 really hard whacks with a hammer. I took off all the husk off the meat. Today when going to eat a chunk, it was already molding! Other pieces were molding as well. Was there something wrong with my coconut? Why would it be going bad in one day? (refrigerated).

Agree with SonicDeathMonkey80, the err with your sample mature (brown) coconut was already amiss at purchase@mold + refrigeration fail. The traits of identifying a mature coconut which will be disfavourable for your kitchen are: (i) No mature coconut water ~ Shake test as suggested by SDM (ii) The 3 eyes will distinctly have discolourations; Not brown/black (natural, healthy, mature) but grey/green ie moldy (iii) The coconut will fail your sniff-test; A stench between a wet saddle blanket and the stink of a wet dog.

A healthy and fresh mature coconut milk should carry a woodsy milk whiff and its shell [for the sniff test] when fresh is supposed to be in the family of fresh wood chips.

krjtf.jpg

An example of a Mature Coconut ~ Sprouting Coconut ie the Coconut Pearl when still healthy/edible and is without any mature coconut water, as is preferred by some [Pic source: Flikr]

Edit: img
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    I learned something today.
  • setee77
    setee77 Posts: 14 Member
    A lady here, who eats coconuts nearly 3 times a week always told me that if I opened one I needed to put the rest in the freezer compartment or it would go bad in 1 day.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    It shouldn't go bad in one day. I buy coconuts regularly and they last pretty well. Always buy a nut with milk in it. If it hasn't got milk, its already old.

You shouldn't need to freeze it but i did find that covering the flesh with some plastic helped keep it a little better too.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Did you log the exercise?
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    I just opened a brown coconut for the first time yesterday. It took about 50 really hard whacks with a hammer. I took off all the husk off the meat. Today when going to eat a chunk, it was already molding! Other pieces were molding as well. Was there something wrong with my coconut? Why would it be going bad in one day? (refrigerated).

Was out shopping for groceries last night and found this in the coconut bin:

2z5j5v9.jpg

Immediately thought of this thread, and took a pic. If you look closely, you will notice that the coconut is already mouldy. The crack is fairly visible. I removed at least 12 coconuts and asked the staff to take them away. I was appalled to say the least.
  • acksaysbillthecat1
    acksaysbillthecat1 Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you all for your replies:

To answer.
    Yes it had nice coconut water in it that was delicious. I refrigerated it in tupperware. I was thinking maybe the issue was that I took the husk off?
    Thanks for showing me the picture of the cracked coconut. I don't remember seeing a crack but that is a possibility.
  • acksaysbillthecat1
    acksaysbillthecat1 Posts: 17 Member
    How long do you all find that your coconuts last in the fridge? Do you dehusk immediately? I am also finding different advice on whether to use mature meat in a smoothie versus young meat.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    acksaysbillthecat1: How long do you all find that your coconuts last in the fridge? Do you dehusk immediately? I am also finding different advice on whether to use mature meat in a smoothie versus young meat.

If you're certain you'll be using the fresh coconut milk (or freshly shredded coconut flesh/meat), you may keep it refrigerated no more than the 3rd day. *Personally, with freshly grated coconut, my method always is for same day use, still set with the old ways* Canned/carton packed coconut milk I hear keeps well enough much like the commercial mayo, etc varieties.

If you're wanting to store it any longer than a week, then your only option is to freeze it with its coconut water, packed airtight and destined for the freezer drawers/shelves. Being that coconut flesh/milk is rather temperamental, a conservative time frame would be around 6 weeks tops, I'm guessing.

Recommendation for smoothies > Young coconut water/flesh.

2qkv8er.jpg

**The ONLY time I see coconuts being dehusked was always at the Coconut Plantations or the Copra Sheds. Mature coconuts are usually dehusked prior to reaching the stores/markets and sometimes from what I'd known about coconuts, I'm the least comfortable with the husks on or partially on, for it hides much of what you'll need to see/check before purchase.

ETA: Add young coconut flesh
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    How long do you all find that your coconuts last in the fridge? Do you dehusk immediately? I am also finding different advice on whether to use mature meat in a smoothie versus young meat.

If you chose to refrigerate immediately after purchase, you would/should have succeeded in loosening the flesh from the coconut, pre cracking. It's a trick that many copra sheds use ~ Hot or cold treatment for 15 to 20 mins on husked coconuts.

Personally, I wouldn't keep my shelled or scraped fresh coconut for more than 3 days, in the fridge. In the islands, that would be called 'souring a coconut' which we use sprinkled over a salad/seaweed salad ~ 'island cheese'. Really depends on whether your palate profile can take the altered flavour.

Do I de-husk post the removal from shell immediately? No. I tend to wait, till I need to use it. Am also heavily into processing it for multiple uses ~ fresh, dehydrated, souring of the grated or slithered flesh [mature coconut only] ... If you sour a younger coconut, you'll make alcohol. lol

If you're after a more pronounced coconut milk flavour ~ go for the mature coconut. If you're after sweetness - younger coconut. In California & Vegas vegan juice bars tend to use the mature milk & flesh for milkshakes and the younger flesh for the fruitier smoothies and some opt for both ~ you have to ask. I like a mix of mature milk & flesh + younger coconut flesh and toasted mature coconut in my vegan chocolate milkshake.