Do you include your work outs?

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    At the risk of confusing the OP, I'd like to point out that people who use the TDEE method (like myself) ARE eating back their exercise calories. They just put them in before they worked out instead of after. At the heart of it TDEE and the mfp method are the same thing in that over the course of a week you'll eat about the same amount.

It's not that we aren't eating our calories back; it's that we make an assumption on what they will be and then include in our daily eating plan as opposed to manually entering them each day and eating different amounts each day.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    At the risk of confusing the OP, I'd like to point out that people who use the TDEE method (like myself) ARE eating back their exercise calories. They just put them in before they worked out instead of after. At the heart of it TDEE and the mfp method are the same thing in that over the course of a week you'll eat about the same amount.

It's not that we aren't eating our calories back; it's that we make an assumption on what they will be and then include in our daily eating plan as opposed to manually entering them each day and eating different amounts each day.
    At the heart of it you're right. But I see way too many people failing by using the MFP automatic method and eating their calories back.
  • mchlsmit
    mchlsmit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you use an online calculator to work out your base metabolic rate (BMR) and the number of calories you need to burn to lose fat it will include your exercise amounts (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). You can then use MFP to track your nutrition manually and set your calorie and nutrition levels (I use 50% Carbs, 30% Protein and 20% Fat). I would suggest that you need to up your intensity to an hour of walking three times a week or even better 30-40 mins of cardio at an elevated heart rate. You should also add in some resistance training a couple of times a week.

I don't record my resistance training or cardio as MFP deducts them which I don't want.
  • eric5577
    eric5577 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I tend to walk at least 2miles, if not more when I do walk. 30min is the min I would do, also depends on time. When I hit the gym, been some time, I use the bike for 10min to warm up. Then hit the elliptical for 20min, then end with 30-40min on the treadmill where the incline changes.

I use to walk and add short burts of running, but I have arthritis is my knee, and it flares up at times, the pavement is not my friend....As you can tell, I enjoy the outdoor activites more than the gym.