Who has been on a cruise????

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I'm going on my first cruise in 9 weeks! It's a Disney cruise and I'm beyond excited!

Any tips for me? Would you cruise again? Best and worst parts of your cruise?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Been on a few cruises. But, unfortunately, none of the advice I could give you would be much help. All of them have been on very small ships like this one as I tend to avoid crowds like the plague!

1109088094.jpg
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1 time.

Just enjoy yourself!! :flowerforyou:

What port are you going out of??
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Not enough Dramamine in the world to get me on a boat for that long. The short trip from Long Beach to Catalina Island was the closest I have ever felt to death.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've done Disney for the last two years. It was awesome. Enjoy yourself!
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've been on a couple cruises. The biggest thing I would recommend is that you take Dramamine, even if you don't normally get motion sickness. I personally didn't get sick, but I did get dizzy. You definitely feel the boat rocking. Also, since we're on a fitness page here, be careful with the food because there's a lot of it and you can literally find something to eat at all hours of the day! Ack!

Make the most of your cruise by taking advantage of the excursions and also the on-board entertainment like the shows and the games. And take a good camera :)
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Done 4 so far. I love them!!!! I love that you can relax or be as active as you like.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I have bern of two cruises both times were a Med cruise. Absolutely loved them. Top quality food and entertainment.
  • Keasteregg
    Keasteregg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try to get mid-ship up as high as you can to avoid sea sickness. . .
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I have cruised a bunch of time and love, love, love them!

Advice:
    1. Do not take the elevators except for embarkation and debarkation when you are schlepping luggage. Take the stairs!
    2. Plan to get in some type of exercise every day-I love to go up to the top deck and just walk around it. So beautiful and peaceful! There will be fitness center on the ship too-take advantage of it.
    3. Try new foods that you would never think to try at home-if you hate it, you can always order something else.
    4. Don't be a member of the clean plate club!
    5. If you eat something and it's delicious-enjoy it, heck ask for another! If it's just O.K., you have our permission to not finish it.
    6. Go on cruisecritic dot com and learn about your ship and some of the Disney rules. It's a great website for all-things cruising and you can find out some secret tips about your ship, some great food items you shouldn't miss, and weird rules about the cruiseline itself that you can't necessarily find on the Disney website.
    7. I'm not one to eat in the ports-I'd rather sightsee and explore so go see new things!
    8. Enjoy yourself!!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Have plenty of money for drinks and gambling.
    Try to do some of the excursions off the ship when you can.

Most of all don't stress!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have cruised a bunch of time and love, love, love them!

Advice:
    1. Do not take the elevators except for embarkation and debarkation when you are schlepping luggage. Take the stairs!
    2. Plan to get in some type of exercise every day-I love to go up to the top deck and just walk around it. So beautiful and peaceful! There will be fitness center on the ship too-take advantage of it.
    3. Try new foods that you would never think to try at home-if you hate it, you can always order something else.
    4. Don't be a member of the clean plate club!
    5. If you eat something and it's delicious-enjoy it, heck ask for another! If it's just O.K., you have our permission to not finish it.
    6. Go on cruisecritic dot com and learn about your ship and some of the Disney rules. It's a great website for all-things cruising and you can find out some secret tips about your ship, some great food items you shouldn't miss, and weird rules about the cruiseline itself that you can't necessarily find on the Disney website.
    7. I'm not one to eat in the ports-I'd rather sightsee and explore so go see new things!
    8. Enjoy yourself!!

Yep. All good tips. I've been on 3 cruises and my 4th is in September. I would love to do a Disney Cruise - I've toured a ship but never been out to sea on one. Looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy!

Edited to add - #7 - we're eating in the ports - we're going to Russian & Japan so definitely taking advantage of trying the local foods!!
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Never before have I seen so much waste and gluttony. :noway:
    However, the food in Grand Cayman was delicious. Plus, pool and exercise rooms all over the ship!
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've been on a few cruises. Take pics of towel pets. They are great. It is not necessary to share pics with your co-workers upon your return home from the cruise. Your co-workers will not appreciate the towel pet pics as much as you do.

Don't go crazy with packing. Pack the essentials. Your room steward hides under your bed and magically appears when your back is turned. No worries, it is his/her job to appear out of nowhere and tidy things up 24/7.... and to make towel pets.

Oh, and bring Clorox bleach towels and wipe everything down and wash your hands often. You don't want to get nasty cruise ship tummy bugs. They WILL quarantine you if you do get said bug.

Enjoy yourself and relax.
  • Nothanksimfinenina
    Options
    I've been on two, with my parents. The food was the best part for sure, the worst parts were the destinations. I felt so guilty walking past venders who rely on cruisers for their income, and hearing other cruisers complain about how everything is dirty and cheaply made, just to get back on this massive floating luxury hotel and eating myself into a feed coma. Now that I'm out of the house and can make my own vacation decisions, I won't be cruising again.

On the other hand, my parents love it. They like the shows and the hot tubs, and of course the food. They've been on several cruises and can't wait to go on their next one, as it's extremely relaxing and fun for them. We just have different ideas about what vacations should be.

My suggestion is to try as many new things as you possibly can. In the dining halls, if you order a meal and don't like it they'll bring you different one, for free, so if you see something on the menu that you have never tried, I say get it! That was my favorite thing about the cruise, I tried all sorts of new foods, and I also did things that are way out of my comfort zone like karaoke, diving contests, and other random silly stuff. Over all, you are the one who decides if you're going to have a good time. You could spend the whole time in your state room if you wanted to, or you could make the most of it. So make the most of it, and I'm sure you'll have a great experience. It's just not for me.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i love cruises. I only eat at the buffets so i can carefully choose my own food and portion sizes of only healthy stuff. I also hoard sandwich ingredients and fruit in my room , to take my own healthy home made lunches on excursions. . And anything indulgent i wait to eat on the last day of the cruise. I allow myself 1 cocktail a day. And every morning i jog at least 3 miles on the jogging deck, there is nothing more amazing than jogging at sea in the cool brisk air. And i generally workout in the gym about a half hour or hour a day just for fun, before everyone wakes up. It makes my whole day that much better to know my exercise is out of the way.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    6. Go on cruisecritic dot com

^ This.

CruiseCritic is definitely the go-to place for any and all of your questions.

You might also look into the Cruise Radio podcasts. They've had several episodes on the Disney ships.

Cruise vacations are great. You're going to have a blast!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Been on several. NCL & Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines the most. I hear that Disney has nice cruises as well.

The boats are freaking huge. There will be a TON to do.

The visits in port are never ever long enough for me. That is why we go to island resorts now. HOWEVER, if you have kids going with you, they will like a cruise better because their new "friends" made on the cruise will be there all week.

Food is great. If you don't like a dish, ask the wait-staff for another one.

Gambling odds are horrible at sea. I stick with Craps, Pass/Don't Pass and the Come line.

Disembarking and reembarking on the ship can take some time. 45 minutes to get off was my worst.

I love :love: love sleeping at sea. Best sleep I ever get.

If you can choose a seating for meals, I much prefer the second seating so I can sleep in and such. Ship time is slow time - why rush to have a meal.

People will "claim" all the chairs by the pool (very early in the day) by using a banana or a towel. Get a porter to remove it and just take it. No bo-bo in the lawn chair, or it is obviously not being used, it is mine.

You will gain weight - fact - enjoy it.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    I went to the Bahamas two years ago and man was the cruise I was in HUGE! (I was on Royal Caribbeans Oasis of the Seas)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I'm going on my first cruise in 9 weeks! It's a Disney cruise and I'm beyond excited!

Any tips for me? Would you cruise again? Best and worst parts of your cruise?

Thanks so much!
    Been on 3 Disney Cruises (Wonder, Magic, Fantasy). All were slightly different with decor and restaurants, but all were great fun.
    Like being in Disneyland, try to get to events early. There will be lots on the ship. If you're bringing kids, LET THEM GO. Teens even have their own supervised spot where adults can't come in.

If you're with an SO, book early at Palo's or whatever adult resturant is available. It's like $25 extra and you get a 5-6 course meal. Quiet and together time.

Have fun on Castaway Cay (unless you're doing the Alaska cruise).

Never be late to port if you're on an excursion. They will leave you and you'll have to find a way back.

Consider insurance. We paid all our expenses up front to get an upgrade (balcony) room. We had a young daughter and if for some reason someone got sick, you DON'T get a refund from Disney. Insurance helps with that along with any MEDICAL you may have to get if outside the US. It's not too expensive.

Pack minimally. Closet space is limited and you'll mostly be in beach wear most of the trip.

Work out!!!! I jogged the decks, but the onboard gym is REALLY NICE for the space.

My family is looking forward to doing a future Disney Mediterrean Cruise.

Have fun!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I have been on over 15 Disney Cruises, on every Disney Ship. They are all different, I like the newer ships better than the older ones.

Would I cruise again? I am doing the Alaska cruise in 1.5 weeks, so yea, I guess so.
    Best parts of my cruise: Everything after the lifeboat drill to night before debarkation.
    Worst parts of my cruise: The chaos of the pools on embarkation day, and getting off the ship on debarkation day.

Tips:
    Hm...

If you are sick (nausea, vomiting), please stay home. Get trip insurance just in case someone gets sick. If you are flying to the embarkation port have Disney arrange travel--I arrived 8 hours late to one cruise and luckily had Disney arranged everything so we were still able to cruise, if we hadn't we likely would have had to try to meet up at the next port. On our own.

You won't be able to see everything on the ship without going nuts or being exhausted. The cruise is supposed to be fun (and they ARE), so cherrypick what you do.

Food is good in the restaurants (not GREAT) but I have had everything -> they will give you special requests. My son likes berries, so we always ask for a bowl of berries. They will accommodate us just about every time. Same with room service, ask for things not on the menu and if they give you a hard time, talk to your serving staff, they can get you things from the restaurants.

Bring a refillable water bottle, comes in handy because the free soda/water comes in these tiny paper cups. They throw away so much of this stuff.

I am cold in the room since my husband and I are totally temperature incompatible, so I bring my own blanket.

The rooms have two baths, one with a toilet and one with a shower--very nice.

If you get seasick don't go for those patches or Dramamine (too many side effects), ask your dr. for Zofran. It works much better with less side effects. However the only time I ever needed it was in the North Atlantic with 30 foot waves. The little rocking is not noticeable to me. But each person is different.

If you go to Castaway, this is the best day ever. Explore it. It is great!

If you have kids, watch them in the pool--the pools are small and there are TONS of people in them, especially on embarkation day unless it is crazy cold out.

Palo's has the best brunch--they have a Quattro Frommage pizza that they used to serve at dinner but now only serve at Brunch. Go to the Brunch and try this pizza. Awesome!

I have only been to Remi's twice. I can pass but some people would like it. French, ten million courses, hours to eat.

The gym has limited hours and you have to be 18 years old to use it.

People smoke on the running deck. Yuk. I can't remember which ships do this but the running deck goes through what seems like an engine room it is so hot (hot blowing air on you), so I prefer the treadmill on that class of ship. Sorry, can't remember if it is the newer or older ships.

So many things to do! Only one day of packing and unpacking.

Oh, make sure you tip--those guys get paid next to nothing. Most of their income is from tips. Treat the staff nice, they will go the extra mile for you.:smile::smile: :smile: