I lost a lot of weight and gained it back very fast?

Options
Okay so last year before I found mfp I wasn't very happy with my body so I started to restrict a lot of 'bad' food groups such as gluten, high carb vegetables and some fruits. I would eat breakfast, lunch and dinner but never overate. I had no idea how to diet in a healthy manner, I thought I was doing it the right way. Anyway each week I would lose an average of 2 kg and went from being around 60 to 50kg over a few months. I've gained back all the weight I lost and an extra few kg.

My question is how come my body gained all the weight back so quickly?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    first off, things like avoiding gluten are fad diets - gluten is only unhealthy if you're celiac. there are no bad foods - portion control and knowing exactly how many calories you eat is where it's at for those of us who tend to put weight on.

if you're gaining the weight back, you're probably eating more calories than you were or have cut down on exercise. the problem with the entire concept of dieting is that it implies an end - like you lose weight till you hit your goal weight, then go back to eating normally, and our ways of eating normally are what put weight on us in the first place.

i've found keeping a food diary is amazingly helpful, but learning more about nutrition is always a good thing, too.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    the problem with the entire concept of dieting is that it implies an end - like you lose weight till you hit your goal weight, then go back to eating normally, and our ways of eating normally are what put weight on us in the first place.

Yep. I tease some of my relatives on Facebook when they post stuff like "Doing a 30 day cleanse." to which I respond "Then what? Get fat again?" You have to eat a diet that's sustainable and one that you can continue year after year. Your body is great at storing extra food. We evolved to pack on weight quick so we can survive times when food is hard to find. Of course food is hardly further away than a 5 second walk to the fridge now.
  • Tenuses
    Tenuses Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately when we lose weight we empty out our fat cells, they don't actually disappear. Then they lie there in wait, sending hormonal signals out to try to get refilled, so it's very easy to pile the weight back on really quickly.