Where to buy clothes while losing and what to buy

Options

Replies

• LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Ross all the way. I used to hate shopping there but really it's the only option for me when I'm buying clothes that I know will only fit for a short amount of time. It's amazing the money you save there. Try to find out what days they receive new shipments so you could go when they have the most variety.

Target isn't really that low-cost anymore, IMO.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores.
    Second hand shops, like Plato's Closet (local here in TX).
    Consignment stores.
    Ross.
    Marshall's.
    TJ Maxx.

You can also spend about $12 to get your pants altered. You don't have to have all of them altered, but you could alter a few for each size. You can normally alter down 2-3 sizes before you can't alter them anymore.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Not big on places like Goodwill or Salvation Army simply because the selection for work wear is very limited. I have found a couple of local resale shops though that tend towards the higher end clothing items and have had some good success there. I've recently finally gotten to where I now can shop at TJ Max, Nordstrom Rack and Marshalls as well as all the other "normal" size clothing stores, so have found some good bargins in those places as well. My tip is buy stretchy things and replace when you've gone down two sizes. Then replace with things slightly smaller than what you are currently wearing so you can wear them longer. And try and do as much mix and match as you can to stretch your wardrobe. I've been doing this for the last 3 years and transitioned froma 32/34 or 4X to an 18 or XL at this point.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Walmart. I've heard people find great stuff at thrift stores too but I never have time to check those.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    May I also suggest that you purchase some dresses?

They can handle some weight loss (mayb adding a belt) and still look ok. Pants get that sloppy look when they get too big.

Now that the season is ending, you can also find things on deep discount at places like Old Navy, LOFT, Target, etc. Just add tights/a cardigan for the Fall!
  • Areneholmes
    Areneholmes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you want cheap, thrift stores are often amazing, even better if you have some sewing skills and can repair/alter things to a smaller size. That's even where I get a lot of my cycling/running gear from- I've bought some Nike shorts from a thrift shop this week a size too small because LBH, the ones I'm wearing are going to be falling off in a few weeks. And $2 Nike shorts? Yes please. I also peruse online- ebay and sales groups on facebook. Resell/consignment clothing shops are great, too.

I also go to the resell shops locally to me. We have a lot.
    I actually only buy stuff new currently if it's something that you can't buy secondhand because gross (underwear, socks, etc), or if it's specific workout clothing/equipment that I need, like those padded cycling shorts that have saved my bottom from further bruising on 12 mile rides.

I like Old Navy if I need something, they are reasonable. It's nice how their adult L is actually and adult L and not a junior M. It helps me feel better about shopping for a t-shirt or something if I need it.

Take care of your clothes in case you want to sell them, especially if you're dropping weight. Great way to make the process even cheaper.
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wal-mart seems to always have what I need, and have it cheap. Ross is another good place to go for cheap clothes *especially dresses.If you have a Burke's they are pretty cheap as well just be careful not to get anything flimsy. The stitching is kind of cheap.

I like to stick to comfort in my weight loss journey. I like yoga pants, and bike shorts. I prefer baggy shirts and tank tops. It's generally hot in Texas so cotton, cotton, cotton. I never go cheap with underwear though. If I have my choice it's Victoria Secret, but I only buy 5-10 new underwear and 2-3 bras.
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    thredup.com!
  • ccastillo71
    ccastillo71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love ross and then I sell what I cant wear on craigs list or ebay
  • lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I shop sales at places I like and supplement it with Goodwill. I look for knits that can shrink with me a bit.
  • meganhertz
    meganhertz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm a big fan of yoga pants because I can drop a size and still wear the same ones. Also Target has some skirts with elastic waist bands that I've been eyeing, they size by S M L XL XXL so I can have them for a few sizes as well (ex. XL is 15-17). Shopping wise, I like Target a lot, I used to shop a lot at Kohl's but their quality has been decreasing lately.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    forever 21 has a lot of cute basics for cheap. i don't know your size or their highest size range, but it might be an option later on at least.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Everything I get while in between goals is from Goodwill. I don't plan on keeping them long so it works out well! :D

I refuse to shop at Walmart unless it's a huge emergency. Our department stores here sometimes have insanely great deals on the clearance racks. I've gotten pants from Younkers for like $8 before.

I wish someday I'd be out of Lane Bryant sizes. *sighs* Won't ever happen for me, so I'm a little jealous! :D
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If I'm looking for cheap stuff to wear around the house, I shop at K-mart.

If I need something nicer for work, I shop at Dressbarn.

I started out wearing a 22/24W. I'm now down to a 14W at Dressbarn. This is the last size in their plus size section. I think their misses sizes go 2-16. I'm really excited to start shopping in the misses section.

I know you said you don't do second hand, but if you change your mind.... maybe try meetup.com and search for a clothing swap in your area.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you're a 16 at Lane Bryant then that is a 16W at most plus departments or an 18 in the misses department. I shopped the clearance racks and sometimes goodwill while I was losing. I would have to replace stuff every couple pants sizes. I would stick to only a few outfits depending on what you need to wear to work, church, etc.
    I wear mostly jeans to work so I would get a 2-3 pairs of jeans, a pair of black slacks (or a skirt) and 5-6 shirts (with at least one fairly nice one to wear with my slacks or skirt for dressy occasions). If you don't need dress clothes on a regular basis then don't buy them until you need them. That way they will fit properly and you won't waste money on something you won't be able to wear in a couple months.
    Also you will have to replace bras and underwear as you drop weight. Stick to just a couple bras and a good sports bra for exercise and maybe 6 pairs of underwear so you don't drop a bunch of cash on items you will have to replace again very soon.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Off Price stores:
    TJ Maxx / Marshalls / Sierra Trading Post
    Ross
    Vanity Fair
    Burlington Coat Factory
    Rugged Wearhouse
    Essex Bargain Hunt (if you're in the Southeastern US)
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I browsed the replies here but didn't see my choice for MEN....Sam's Club.
    With recent bariatric surgery I needed some new jeans badly.
    Their jeans fit pretty good in all areas and are only 13.98 a pair in my area.
    They offer light blue, regular blue jean blue and the dark wash options.
    They have the regular "straight fit" and the "relaxed fit'. If a Sam's is not in your area you
    can buy them on-line and there is free shipping by FedX ground.
    They have many other clothing options in the store and if you time it right they drop the prices as
    time goes on...shorts and summer clothes are soon to go on sale here...

I've tried to sell my old larger sized clothing on Craig's List, and not one single call.
    I have many almost new items I was willing to sell for only $5 !!! (sizes 44, 42 and 40 for men)
    Guess I am going to try the consignment route or donate them. Almost as bad as throwing away food! I hate that!
  • Girlg0yle
    Girlg0yle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    resale shops (can't beat $4-5 jeans...most clothing items are usually under $10)

or if you'd prefer new clothing, than discount clothing stores like gordmans

Since you won't use them very long this is a great idea. You can get nice items inexpensively and just recycle them by donating them back to the second hand stores when you shrink out of them.
  • koosorlose
    koosorlose Posts: 186
    Options
    www.vinted.com! My friend just told me about it. You can sell your old clothes there, swap clothes with others, and buy new ones (some used, some new, you just have to look!). It's awesomeeeee!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    And... I also find that I tend to buy the same staples in smaller sizes. Stick with what you will actually wear. Happy shopping!

I do the same thing. I find for me this sometimes even extends to non-traditional "staples". In the past year and a half I've owned 4-5 pairs of red jeans and at least 4 dark blue and navy blue simple dresses. I love fashion and when I figure out a look that I truly love, I don't want to give it up in the amount of time that an article of clothing goes from tight to baggy. So I keep buying similar things over and over. In a way it's kind of cool, for example seeing different styles of what is basically the "same" top or skirt as I get smaller and/or more confident.