Black Bean Burgers (mildly spicy)

Options
mygnsac
mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
My friend gave me this recipe. These are so good. Lots of ingredients and steps though. I prefer the sweet potato variation. I usually make up a batch and just stick them in the freezer to use later.

Ingredients
- 4 cups cooked/boiled black beans (or 2 cans), drained, cooled and mashed – reserve 1 cup of cooking water or bean juice from cans. Note: For an interesting twist, substitute half (or 1 can) of the black beans with 1 large, oven roasted and peeled sweet potato, cooled and mashed.
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cup of quick cooking oats, slightly ground in food processor
- 1/2 red or yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 small can (or 1/2 cup) sweet corn, drained
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Paprika (or Chipotle Powder)
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper, optional (add more if you like it really spicy)
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Dash of Maggi Seasoning

Directions
Put onion, garlic cloves, celery, carrot, bell pepper and cilantro (tear off leafy tops from the stems) in a food processor and process until finely chopped.

In a large mixing bowl, mix mashed black beans (and sweet potato if using), egg white, processed veggies and spices until well combined. Stir in the oats and corn and seasoning.

Add vegetable broth and check consistency. You want mixture about the texture of ground beef, so it should be thick. If mixture is too thick, add a little of the black bean water/juice at a time until the consistency is thick but still soft enough to form into patties; if it gets too thin you can sprinkle in more oats.

Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for about 20 min to rest and set up. Divide and roll into about 8 balls about the size of a baseball and form into patties about 1/2 inch thick. (If the patties seem too soft, they can be formed, separated with parchment paper into stacks of two or three and put in the freezer to chill before cooking.).

Fry them with a little olive oil until almost brown on each side; make sure they are cooked before trying to flip.

Patties can be formed, separated with parchment paper and wrapped in plastic or in a large ziplock bag and frozen for later use.

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    They sound great. I always mess with recipes and with this one I'd be tempted to add some corn for color, or shiitake mushrooms for a little beefy smell.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    They sound great. I always mess with recipes and with this one I'd be tempted to add some corn for color, or shiitake mushrooms for a little beefy smell.

The recipe already includes corn. I love the mushroom thought though. I never turn down mushrooms!
  • mygnsac
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm like that too. Always tweeking new recipes. A friend of mine made these burgers, and tweeked too. I prefer the original recipe, but here's her changes quoting what she wrote...

"I used adzuki beans instead of black, and took the suggestion to substitute a roasted sweet potato for half of the beans. I can’t compare that to the original recipe, but damn, it’s good this way. The sweetness pairs beautifully with the burger’s heat. Other changes...I made a jar of korma powder about a month ago and need to use it up, so I used that instead of the spices in the recipe, adding some chipotle powder for heat. (Plus, I was out of chili powder and there was no way in hell I was going back out in the heat to drive to the store…) I would still like to try it with the cumin and chipotle, though—I’m pretty sure this will be good whatever flavor you give it. Since we don’t have Maggi Seasoning, I left that out, and I forgot about the vegetable broth until the patties were made, so that’s not in there either. I ended up using about a half cup more oats to get the texture just right, so the broth deficit worked out. Guess my intuition was on it! YUM. I couldn’t wait to put one of these on a bun with srirracha mayo, lettuce, avocado and tomato. Mmmmm! Now I have one more in the fridge to eat tomorrow and six more in the freezer ready to be cooked up in a moment’s notice. Thanks, Marcie!"

Her pics...

8rai4me4yr32.jpg

inhjj99vhkhv.jpg
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    gona try this :)