just did my first weigh in since joining this site

Options
Russquatch
Russquatch Posts: 15 Member
I was at 414 on July 2nd... and then joined this site a week later so in the two weeks since then I'm down 6 1/2 pounds and a whole lot more to go ... I guess I should feel encouraged that I did lose more than just 2 pounds per week, but seeing that big number I still need to lose, kind of depressing... I guess I was just hoping to get under that 400 pound mark... I guess if I keep going the way I have been I will get there in a couple of weeks.

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    As long as if you keep going - NO MATTER WHAT - eventually, you will hit your goal. Whether its 1 year from now, or 10 years from now. If you give up, be prepared to only get bigger and bigger.
  • wkay99
    wkay99 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's a good start. You can't make progress without starting... So, hang in there and keep going!
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Hope you start to see numbers that encourage you . :)
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Something I have found to help motivate me when the goal seems so far away, is to remind yourself, 1 year from now is going to happen. July of next year, will you be the same old overweight you, or will you be that much closer to your goal.?
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    6.5 pounds is a great loss. The battle of the mind is the hardest thing about weight loss. Be conscious of your thoughts and try to change them. It always seems like it's taking forever to lose weight at the time you're doing it, but after you lose it and look back on it, it's really not that long at all. Yes, you've got a lot to lose, but two years from now do you really want to be saying the same thing you are now?

Maybe you should be saying, "I'm almost in the 300's! Think how great THAT will be!"

Above everything else, keep going!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    OP, I think most people, especially those with a lot to lose, notice a big drop in first week or so - as in more than the predicted 1 lb or 2 lb per week.

Be prepared for this not to last - your weight loss rate will settle down fairly quickly to around the predicted rate - and it will not be linear - meaning some weeks you will lose bit more than the prediction, some weeks bit less, some weeks even none or slight gain.

This is all ok as long as overall trend is going downwards - ie lose 3 lb one week, gain 1 the next is still an overall down direction.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    As long as if you keep going - NO MATTER WHAT - eventually, you will hit your goal. Whether its 1 year from now, or 10 years from now. If you give up, be prepared to only get bigger and bigger.

^^^^^^All of this.
    Good luck to you.
  • Greycat1
    Greycat1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do not get depressed. Look at your weight loss in small steps at a time, like 5-10 pound incraments then it is not too bad. Give yourself small rewards when you reach like 25-50 pounds if you want. You are doing a great job. Do not give up. You can do this. One day at a time.
  • Russquatch
    Russquatch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    kind of feeling better about it tonight ... I also noticed I'm getting faster with my walking so might have lost more fat and gained a bit of muscle at the same time... I find my endurance is getting better.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    You did great!!! Keep on pressing on and enjoy those victories...I notice more by way of
    Exercise stamina than my weight loss...it's all good...moving toward a healthier you. You didn't get here overnight...it will take time to get back. Just keep on keeping on. One day at a time.
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's a good start. You can't make progress without starting... So, hang in there and keep going!

^^ This!!

It's a great start!! & just as she said, you wouldn't have made any progress without getting started!! Great job!!
  • BlueLadyBug22
    BlueLadyBug22 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use to feel the same, sometimes still can get in the mindset. The only thing you can do is keep going and know that no matter how long it takes, every day you are a step closer and in the process you are becoming so much healthier and strong. I'm convinced it's worth the time and effort. Don't worry about the long haul, focus on something positive you have done every day to reach your goals and be happy. :) Congrats on your loss so far btw!
  • Dean_IsStayinLean
    Dean_IsStayinLean Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just keep working the program!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Great job so far!!! Remember, you didn't put it on in 1 month so your not gonna take it off quickly either. You got this :wink:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's a great start! Like others said, remember how fast time has gone when you planned to start and didn't, and then think about where you could be in that same amount of time if you are just consistent. Also, I know there's a long way to go, but you are going to feel so much better long before you get to goal, especially as you get more active. That's how it's been for me.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You've made great progress for a first step! It might help to set smaller benchmarks and to reward yourself for reaching them--non-food rewards, of course! I also like to weigh myself fairly frequently. It keeps me from being discouraged if I don't see as big a loss as i want in a week and it definitely prevents me from being discouraged by a gain.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • ecclesse
    ecclesse Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Focus on your accomplishment. To get those 6 1/2 pounds, you had to make a lot of good decisions. Keep making them. You are on your way.
  • lovin_soul
    lovin_soul Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm like you. In the "big loss needed" category. Congrats on your loss. I am working at it too and am new with My Fitness Pal. I love this app and all it offers. I do think we need something like this to help us log our progress but i also think that anyone like us (so much to lose) needs a really good local medical program to succeed and maintain. I encourage you to look for that. Mine is totally covered by my medical insurance. Maybe you could find something similar. It's not the same for us as it is for those who need to lose less. Don't feel like you need to manage it all alone.
  • timodawson
    timodawson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great job man, keep at it! I started at the same weight as you, 7 1/2 months later and I am down 100lbs. You'll get there!
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You've got this....the really hard part is sticking to it and making better food choices and correct serving sizes. That was my problem, trying to figure out what a REAL serving size is.
    Even though you have a lot you want to lose, set smaller goals to hit at first so you feel like you are making really good progress. Honestly you should not be losing more than 2 pounds a week, that way it will stay off once you have retained your body to your new lifestyle.
    I only started toward the end of May and have been losing just a little over 2 pounds a week. I still have a lot to go, but I keep my eye on each new target I set.
    It took me at least 2 to 3 weeks to even start to feel better while walking and a 15 minute walk was hard. Now walking 45 min to an hour in my norm as a daily thing.
    We all on MPH have faith in each other and these are the best people to help give you a boost when you need it.