How to estimate calories for Piyo?

Options
Allegi32
Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
Today I did Piyo Sweat, which is a 35 minute workout...and definitely makes you sweat, lol! I was dripping. Anyway, I don't want to log it as yoga because it's definitely more intense than yoga but I don't know how to calculate calories burned. There were a few times I had to stop because I was too out of breath to continue, but for the most part I could talk through it, probably in broken sentences.

A lot of it was so hard because you really burn your muscles through repetitive movements, but it is constant movement.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Log it as cardio.
  • Allegi32
    Options
    Log it as cardio.

I couldn't find a generic "cardio" entry in the database...is there some other word I can put in? I'm having a hard time finding something to put in that will somewhat accurately calculate the calories I burned. I didn't want to use my heart rate monitor because I didn't think it would be an accurate calculation.
  • kgeyser
    Options
    Log it as cardio.

I couldn't find a generic "cardio" entry in the database...is there some other word I can put in? I'm having a hard time finding something to put in that will somewhat accurately calculate the calories I burned. I didn't want to use my heart rate monitor because I didn't think it would be an accurate calculation.

How about "aerobics, low impact"? The burn on that seemed pretty reasonable to me when I calculated it for myself (192 cal). I've actually worn my HRM while doing the PiYo Sweat workout, and I got something like 270 calories as my burn, which I know is inaccurate.
  • Allegi32
    Options
    Log it as cardio.

How about "aerobics, low impact"? The burn on that seemed pretty reasonable to me when I calculated it for myself (192 cal). I've actually worn my HRM while doing the PiYo Sweat workout, and I got something like 270 calories as my burn, which I know is inaccurate.

Thanks! I will do that. :smile:

Edited to add: Oy! I just tried that and it said 286 calories!!
  • kgeyser
    Options
    Log it as cardio.

Just go with it and only eat a portion of the calories back. Then just watch your weekly trends for your total calories consumed and your weight loss, and tweak as needed.

You can also just switch to the TDEE method and forgo the exercise calorie burn calculations completely.
  • Allegi32
    Options
    Log it as cardio.

Just go with it and only eat a portion of the calories back. Then just watch your weekly trends for your total calories consumed and your weight loss, and tweak as needed.

You can also just switch to the TDEE method and forgo the exercise calorie burn calculations completely.

I kind of cut the difference and put in 200. And I'm just going to eat a little bit back. I think it might be better to go the TDEE route, but I want to give the MFP way a few weeks to see how it goes. If it's not working for me, I'll switch to the TDEE method. I just find that it's so hard to calculate it.

Thanks so much for all your help!
  • RobBanas
    RobBanas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and the "Map My Fitness" app on my iPhone. You can connect that to myfitnesspal and your workouts automatically get imported. It's awesome. I use it to record PiYo, bike rides and running. Works like a champ.
  • apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM coming today to calculate what it is as well and will sync it up. I wasn't confident on which cardio category and I have wanted a HRM for a long time so it seemed like the best time to get one. Otherwise I've been doing 'aerobics low impact' like PP said.
  • Allegi32
    Options
    From what I understand the HRM is not accurate for things that are not steady-state cardio.
  • jesssikay
    jesssikay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look what I found, ladies! You plug in your height, weight, and the type of exercise. Ashtanga yoga, hot yoga, pilates are all there. Yay.
    https://www.healthstatus.com/perl/calculator.cgi
  • mjenson17
    mjenson17 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I created a new exercise and called it PiYo sweat, PiYo Drench, whichever one i did and compared it to the bewitchn kitchen blog. She's about my height/weight, so i figured what she burned is probably close to what I burned.