Stop counting cleaning, walking to the mail box, etc.

Options
LazSommer
LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
Why do people complain about not losing as fast as they'd like and then count cleaning (vigorous effort) as exercise? Unless cleaning is dragging a 300 lb porcelain tub out of a two story building, you did not burn 300 calories.

Seriously, stop.

Replies

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    Bump
    ^this (in it for the pictures)
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    It is a mile round-trip to my mail box and depending on traffic I do it in 15-20 min. You better believe I count it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It is a mile round-trip to my mail box and depending on traffic I do it in 15-20 min. You better believe I count it.

That's about 60 net calories for a 200 pound human.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options

Oh, since when I weighed yesterday I was 128.7 lbs, I don't believe it is hurting my progress at all!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6biUFtbpDpZLrE43HdxfAjyXM1GhYVLYxsL2eMTE_sU4RMcWT
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

yet somehow she still reached her weight loss goal by counting.

in any case, you dont need to exercise to lose weight, so it doesnt really matter what people log or dont log, especially considering that MFP starts most people's base calories off lower than needed
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    But, But, But...If I don't count cleaning and walking to the mailbox I'll never see a deficit!!!! Oh cruel world:sad:

Fitbit counts every single step. what's wrong with counting it on your totals as long as you don't abuse it?
  • crys39
    crys39 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • charliecopley
    Options
    To me vigorous cleaning involves doing outside chores, like pushing the lawn mower for 30 minutes, hand cleaning the gutters, hand scrubbing off your patio, not a vacuum through the living room that doesn't involve you not moving heavy furniture.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    You really don't know what's appropriate for someone unless you understand their situation and assumptions. Some people build an assumed level of activity into their targets, and some set a very low base and add calories as they are more active than their assumptions. If it's working for them, great. If not, they need to examine a number of assumptions, not just how they handle exercise, but also their food logging practices.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I log going into my kitchen to open the fridge door for food. This had got to be a 300 cal burn right?
  • Fat2Fit_imready
    Fat2Fit_imready Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    But, But, But...If I don't count cleaning and walking to the mailbox I'll never see a deficit!!!! Oh cruel world:sad:

Fitbit counts every single step. what's wrong with counting it on your totals as long as you don't abuse it?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options

I believe MFP counts it as 64 cal at 3mph and 74 cal at 4 mph. So net you pretty are likely pretty close. I do not eat back the calories unless I do Zumba or something like that.

I have not had a problem with weight loss, but before I went on vacation (past 2 weeks) I weighed everything.
  • Fat2Fit_imready
    Fat2Fit_imready Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I log going into my kitchen to open the fridge door for food. This had got to be a 300 cal burn right?

UUUM YOUR OVER CALCULATING HUN, its more like 200!!
  • JelloJerrika
    JelloJerrika Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha you go girl!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

in any case, you dont need to exercise to lose weight, so it doesnt really matter what people log or dont log, especially considering that MFP starts most people's base calories off lower than needed

Apparently she doesn't check her mail very often according to her diary with only one walk logged in the month of July ... and that with the typical MFP overage of 114 cals for 30 minutes at 3mph ... when she netted about half of that.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options

Thank you. I have had a failed back surgery and many times walking is what I can do. So that is what I do. On good days I do Zumba. And was meticulous with my counting until I went on vacation for 2 weeks, and ate out almost every day (mostly making sensible food choices)... but also walked 2 miles a day. I lost 3.5 lbs... so in reality I should have eaten foods higher in calories.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I don't reall care what people log. If it's working for them then awesome. Only they know what's exercise to them.

Now Jesse and Walter White from Breaking Bad...they deserve to add cleaning to their exercise log..

liquidemilio.gif?w=650
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options

Apparently she doesn't check her mail very often according to her diary with only one walk logged in the month of July ... and that with the typical MFP overage of 114 cals for 30 minutes at 3mph ... when she netted about half of that.

I was on vacation for 2 weeks... and yes, I really didn't bother to log. And it didn't hurt me either.
This discussion has been closed.