When did you start seeing results

Options
Tell me what weight you were when you started to diet+exercise, your gender, age, and when you started to see results...I need some inspiration...I've been sticking to a healthy diet for four weeks, worked out the hardest ever in my life, am female, 30 years old, and havent really seen a tiny difference yet.

Replies

• erikmerklin
    Options
    Hey there! I started my "journey" on the first of this year. I didn't do anything spectacular, I just changed how I was eating, and started a workout program.
    My starter program was P90X. If it has been a while since you have done anything physical, I would recommend that you start with something less intense. The whole idea is to get your heart rate up and keep it up for around 30 minutes. I started at 265 and lost around 12-15 pounds the first month. The whole process was not easy by any means. I worked for those pounds to come off, and I am still working today to lose the weight. Just remember that it took time to put the weight on. It will not come off overnight!

Good luck! :smile:
  • rachelilly
    rachelilly Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm 29, female, and started dieting and exercising hard back on May 1st. I'm still waiting for the scale to show my hard work :/ Since May 1st, I've only lost 7.4 lbs :(

ETA: My ticker says I've lost 17 lbs. This is from starting to lose weight back in February. So there's progress, but it's so slow.
  • dailylauren
    dailylauren Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Female, 17 - will be 18 in a week :happy: my highest weight ever was about a year ago 160 and now i'm down to 145ish. Even though it may not be a lot..I notice changes mentally and slowly physically.

Also try taking measurements?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you have to lose, but it also depends how critical you are of yourself.

The me I see in the mirror has minimal results. The me I see in photographs has amazing results.

Be less critical. Go with how you feel.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    45 yrs old and 5'2

SW: 230 pds

CW: 114 pds

GW: 110 pds

I walk 6-7 miles a day, 6 days a week and weight lifting 5 days a week.

I would say probably 30-50 pds before really started seeing any results.
  • BekShark
    BekShark Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow, serious transformation. How long has that taken? You must be so proud. :-)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for me it takes about 6 weeks for things to start coming together then it's pretty continuous. so it's been able 6 weeks since i got back into my routine and sure enough today i noticed that my belly flab was much smaller than it was a week ago.

as long as you know you're doing everything right just give it time

oh yeah the scale isnt really reliable for me so i'm only weighing myself every 4-6 weeks as long as i'm losing inches then i know i'm on the right path. the first 30 pounds i lost i'd notice huge changes in fat loss but no changes on the scale then a week i noticed no changes in fat loss was when i'd see big dips on the scale :laugh:
  • VP_DeathStar
    Options
    As you gain muscle and start to get leaner, that will also count on the scale. If you're really looking for a metric, measure your body fat. There several ways, I have no idea which is better.

But a consisten form of measurement over time should show some kind of trend, likely a good one.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Female, 24, started about two months ago but didn't see actual results until 4 weeks in. It took me awhile to find what is working and what doesn't; I was estimating a lot more in the beginning but since I've gotten a heart rate monitor, a fitbit device, and began to more accurately estimate calorie intake, I've seen much better results. If something isn't working, find what isn't working and change it!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    What kind of results are you looking for? The scale started going down immediately. Measurements take a bit longer. But as far as visuals… About 20 pounds down my sister said she noticed a difference. About 25-30, she said she could feel a difference when she gave me a hug. That was also about the time I really started noticing my clothes fitting looser (elastic waist bands make it so clothes fit a long longer!). About 30 pounds is also when I started noticing the difference in my fitness levels… my ability to walk faster for longer periods. If you are wanting to be able to look in the mirror and say "yeah, I can tell I've lost weight…" Well, I'm at 45 pounds down and still waiting for that moment! But I expect to be the last one to notice. I see myself everyday and we are our own worst critics.

35/Female

SW=381
    MFP SW=367
    CW=336
  • jenniferhanisch5
    jenniferhanisch5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 30 yo and sw 230 cw199 gw155. I started the first of the year by wanting to get healthy and do a triathlon. At first I could barely manage 30 minutes of activity a couple times a week now I do at least an hour sometimes two most days and have done three sprint triathlons. Preparing to do my first Olympic in sept so I have had drastic changes in my fitness level and endurance. With the periods of increased training came periods of increased eating which I'm currently trying to get under control. About 20lbs I started noticing a difference in how my clothes fit
  • peachmagic
    peachmagic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    19 year old lady here

Just started about 3-4 weeks ago, and though I've apparently lost almost 10 lbs (not entirely sure about my starting weight 185 or a little lighter), I can't actually "see" a difference yet. Though I can feel one! In the beginning I could only do 25 jumping jacks at a time, and now I can do just over 50! In the beginning I could only do squats with 2 lbs weights and now I can do them with 5lbs. My flexibility has gotten better as well, and overall despite looking exactly the same I feel much better about myself and even my body. I think it's important to focus on the small improvements while you weight for the big changes to grow. Best of luck!!
  • dannyj830
    dannyj830 Posts: 3
    Options
    When I started I was twenty three and a buck thirty five, lean, with only a solid core from martial arts. I would say I was really blessed in seeing quick results which kept me motivated. However, because the weight I started gaining was muscle mass when I stopped for a period of time I would lose it just as fast as I gained. It's been six years of working out, at my peak I was 155 lb with 7% body fat at 5'9. I'm a very hard gainer and I'm the type that "eats to live" instead of "living to eat" so diet is the hardest part of maintaining my results or reaching the goals that I want.
  • cmclear90
    cmclear90 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have tried to workout and eat clean in the past but it never lasted more than a week or 2. This time its been 1 1/2 months since I started back up again and ive lost 15 pounds!! The scale didnt move for me for a couple weeks and my mom told me to keep going because sometimes it takes a few for your body to catch up, sure enough after 2 weeks of nothing I woke up one morning and weighed myself and lost 4 pounds!! Keep trying!!
  • peachmagic
    peachmagic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have tried to workout and eat clean in the past but it never lasted more than a week or 2. This time its been 1 1/2 months since I started back up again and ive lost 15 pounds!! The scale didnt move for me for a couple weeks and my mom told me to keep going because sometimes it takes a few for your body to catch up, sure enough after 2 weeks of nothing I woke up one morning and weighed myself and lost 4 pounds!! Keep trying!!

Congrats on pushing through it! I'm in the same boat, always tried and made it like a week tops. This time I'm at almost a month and no strong feelings of giving up so far!
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Old lady here - I started last October, have lost about 50 pounds. It doesn't show on my ticker because I didn't find MFP until January. I didn't see any change for about three months, which makes sense -- at only a pound a week, it takes three months to lose just 12 pounds. Then suddenly I went down a couple of sizes in pants.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I started at 166 pounds and am now fast approaching 150 3 months later! While it's not a ton of weight, it's noticeable on me and I've started getting my first trickle of comments. I would say the first 2-3 weeks were the worst, I started feeling a bit better between weeks 4 and 6, but week 8 started noticing the first of the changes and am feeling really great right about now! I still have a ways to go, but I feel super motivated to continue knowing it's working.
  • potchizle
    potchizle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started in March of this year at 259 lbs. I am now somewhere around 230 lbs. With that being said, I do not weigh myself too often. Your weight will vary from day to day, sometimes from morning to night. The way that I track my weight loss is by how I feel, how my clothes fit and my energy level. I had recieved this advise from a dietician (at Purdue University in a nutritian class I was taking).

Good luck on your journey!
  • DalbozTheLantern
    Options
    Are you already a healthy weight? The number on the scale is healthy for me, but I wanted to tone up and get rid of flab. I thought it would be easy, and I'd see results in no time because I didn't have far to go, but nope. I read that if you are already a healthy weight, your body is going to resist losing weight and fat.

Anyway, I've been working out for over two months now (maybe three?), and I lost some weight initially, but the scale hasn't moved since then. I haven't seen major results yet, I guess, but I'm slimmer in some areas and my muscles are bigger and my clothes fit looser on me. I have better endurance and I'm much stronger than I used to be. I also sleep a lot better. I do weights, various forms of cardio, and yoga.

I would suggest getting a heart monitor to keep up with how many calories you are burning, and don't be afraid to eat! I was eating too few calories at first because I didn't realize how much I was burning until I got my heart monitor. I started seeing results when I started eating more. Apparently, you can't burn 750 calories and only eat 1,300 if you want to get in shape. =/

Also, take progress pictures. Even if I don't feel like there is much a difference looking at myself in the mirror every day, when I compare my most current picture to my others, there is definitely a noticeable difference. Oh, and I'm female, 28 years old.

You're new to getting in shape. Just be patient with yourself, and you'll figure things out along the way and improve your diet and exercise. =) Sorry I wrote a book....
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    aedreana here, female, 5' 3 1/2" and age 61.

My very first diet started at the end of March of 1967. I had just turned 14. My starting weight was somewhere in the upper 120s, almost to 130 pounds.I recall I felt like I had made real progress, when I attended my grandparents' anniversary party in NYC on April 30, a month after begjnning the diet. I had on a cute new little white dress, and I was down to 114 lbs. My cousin Susan told me, "You could be a model!"

When did I begjn exercising-?
    Never!