What is the ideal workout time in a day?

Options
What is best to achieve your goals? I actually had someone say today that it is not the exercise, but what you eat that will help you to lose the weight. I was a little taken back by this comment as this person is a life member and now employee leader with WW. She has been doing this for 10 years. Everything that I have ever heard was that it is a combination of diet AND exercise!

I try to do 30-45 minutes a day. Mostly I get 30 minutes. What do you all think?

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Early AM for me, but pick whatever fits your schedule. I agree that too much food will not likely be compensated for by exercise.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Diet is 80% of weight loss. Exercise is only 20% of it.

As far as when to workout… any time of day. There's not a specific time that will be more beneficial.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Ideal time??? The time you will do it.

You can lose weight by counting calories only. So physical movement/exercise is both good for the heart and the mind... plus can allow you to eat more depending on the method you use to count.
  • mojo501976
    mojo501976 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree with the a.m. thing! Early morning cool/ cold air! I can't exercise in the afternoon or evening because it is too sweltering for me. No energy then.
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am very limited as when I can go so I go first thing in the morning. I have noticed it gives me more focus and energy throughout the rest of the day verse going in the afternoon and evening though. Maybe test a couple different times if day or night and pick the 1 that makes you feel the best and what your able to achieve in that time. Good luck
  • shraniken
    shraniken Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Really any time, especially if cardio. Strength training, I'd say early in the day, but even then really any time. Late at night kind of sucks though, which is when I do it. I only like running at night, I'm still fat enough that I feel very conspicuous while running. Makes going to sleep at night hard since my body is a radiator.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Choose the time that best fits your lifestyle/preferences.

Exercise has benefits but a calorie deficit is the main ingredient to weight loss. That can be accomplished through dietary means but that doesn't mean it's wise to diet without exercise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    630am at the latest. Period.
    That is the only time.
    For ME to work out. I get enough sleep. But I get going before I've totally woken up and talked myself out of it. Any later, and chances are the day will interfere.
  • orangpeel757
    orangpeel757 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My ideal workout time is in the morning. It's cooler and I feel more alert during the day. I sometimes have trouble sleeping if I workout in the evening.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The main physiological benefit to exercising in the morning, before you eat breakfast, is that you'll start burning fat sooner. You've been burning glycogen (stored carbs) all night, so those stores are depleted. You won't have to go through those first to get to the fat.

But really, whenever you'll exercise is a good time.

And yes, controlling eating is the largest component of losing weight.
    Exercise is essential to maintaining weight loss.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Forgot this:
    I try to do 30-45 minutes a day. Mostly I get 30 minutes. What do you all think?
    30 minutes 5x a week is the recommended minimum to maintain weight.
    If you want to lose weight, you might have to do double that.

From that same CDC page I gave a link to in my last post:
    "To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    (The page explains moderate & vigorous.)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i do an hour 5-6 days a week usually after work and on sundays.

considering that the entire time i gained weight i was exercising ( i guess i can technically say i was bulking, brah :laugh: ) i dont look at exercise as a way to lose weight but as a way to make my fitness goals
  • cjwrig52
    cjwrig52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I normally do my most vigorous work out at night only because I am a night owl. I've conditioned myself to workout 10-20 minutes in the morning so that it will be easier for me to meet my daily calories burned. Breaking my workouts into two sessions helps me meet my daily goals.