IIFYM

Options
okay so i've been looking everywhere for this but i couldn't find any information on it
do you belive the iifym works while eating "healthy" foods?
like if i were to follow the diet (1g of protein per lb of bw, .4g of fat per pound of bw, & the rest carbs) without trying to fit any **** into my body, is it a good place to start? point is im following the macros but instead of having junk food, im eating whole grain foods, complex carbs, fruits, etc.
note: my goal is to put on muscle while trying to minimize fat gains(i know im going to put on some fat)

Replies

• nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    IIFYM works with healthy food as well. As long as you are coming close to what your macros should be your fine.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think that you might misunderstand what IIFYM is. It's not just pop tarts and ice cream all day and it's not a specific macro spread. It just means eating the foods you like while fitting them into your personal nutrition goals. If you only want to eat the foods you deem healthy then that's fine.
  • dannylb14
    dannylb14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think that you might misunderstand what IIFYM is. It's not just pop tarts and ice cream all day and it's not a specific macro spread. It just means eating the foods you like while fitting them into your personal nutrition goals. If you only want to eat the foods you deem healthy then that's fine.
    it's just that everywhere i look and every post i read, everyone is just trying to fit junk into their macros. i found no information on eating "healthy" with your specific macro goals using iifym. maybe i just didn't look hard enough.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I think because so many conversations around IIFYM discuss that fact that you "can eat ______" (insert cookies, ice cream, a hamburger, pizza, etc.) that many people get confused and think that is what it is. That's not really the case, at least not the whole story. The idea is to hit your macros and fiber goals (actually difficult if you're not eating around at least 80% of what most people call "clean" foods, depending of course on your overall calorie goals). That's all it is, a decision making device, i.e. If It Fits Your Macros. I personally find that hitting my fiber goal is the hardest and it takes quite a bit of fresh or frozen veggies to get there. If after I've eaten my 5 or 6 servings of veggies a day, hit my protein goal, and still have calories left over (yea, I always do), then I get to enjoy my bourbon, beer, and donuts. It's not about going hog wild at McDonald's (especially considering that I prefer Wendy's).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure you understand what IIFYM is. It is not about a type of food, it's about meeting macros. Macros are individually set and you eat what food YOU want to fill them.
    Personally, while I like to include food I love that may not exactly be what most people consider "healthy", it is pretty near impossible to include those foods, hit my macros and calories goal without including mostly foods that people would consider "healthy".
    You don't have to include food you consider "junk food" in your diet when doing IIFYM. It is not a requirement.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    it's just that everywhere i look and every post i read, everyone is just trying to fit junk into their macros. i found no information on eating "healthy" with your specific macro goals using iifym. maybe i just didn't look hard enough.

I don't know about you but I find donuts a hell of a lot more exciting than brussels sprouts. I eat both of them, but I am far more likely to discuss donuts than brussels sprouts. And, don't get me wrong, those brussels taste pretty damn good when I cook them with pancetta and olive oil. Mmmmmm pancetta. Wait. What was I saying. Never mind. Anyone have any donuts?