Big Calorie Burner!

jaycee76
jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi

I have recently purchased a HRM and have been a little disappointed with the amount of calories that I actually burn!

I have seen people burning loads of calories for like a 60 minute workout and was after tips on the best burners!

So what is your best burn and what did you do/how long?

THanks x

Replies

• leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    A lot of the giant burns you see are from the site being suuuper skewed. I'm sure there are some awesome secret weapon workouts, but your HRM is going to be a lot more accurate than the database. Kind of a bummer haha
  • juleslyp
    juleslyp Posts: 3 Member
    Hi,
    I find that running or interval running and plyometric's burn the most calories. The idea is to keep your heart rate in your target zone and you'll see great results. Keep within 70 -80% of your target heart rate and you'll start burning loads of calories.

Of course you can work a little higher, but i do find it tends to leave me rather tired. Heart rate monitors are so much fun...

All the best
    Jules
  • Ellipticals are AMAZING! I have a WESLO, and it is a pretty good estimator of calories burned. I got a HRM and it says the same thing, I burn between 400-500 calories for 30min. But I seriously work hard at it too, If you can talk, go faster! :)

Jenn

P.S. Tae Bo is supposed to burn an amazing amount also.
  • the more weight you have to lose = the higher the burn.
    the database is from people adding things and people not adjusting them from their own weight. Someone might pick up on my 5.5kmph walk and use my data for their burn which is built for me at 122kgs. If that makes sense :)
  • I'll take a HIIT sprint/hill sprint session or on the Airdyne thanks. Might not burn a ton of calories in the 15-20 minutes but I'll be burning fat for upto 36 hours later. Other than that my highest calorie burns probably come from jumping rope.
  • Getting a HRM is a great call. But here's the dirty little secret. You need to do low intensity activity for at least 30-60 minutes to get into the fat burning sweet spot. Low intensity is 60% to 70% of max heart rate. Good guess of max heart rate is 220-age.

Plenty of good info on the internet on the above.

You can do a high intensity workout like a spin class and that will burn a ton of calories and get you more fit, but it is less efficient at specifically burning fat. Btw, I am assuming fat is what you want to lose, not lean muscle mass.
  • Getting a HRM is a great call. But here's the dirty little secret. You need to do low intensity activity for at least 30-60 minutes to get into the fat burning sweet spot. Low intensity is 60% to 70% of max heart rate. Good guess of max heart rate is 220-age.

Plenty of good info on the internet on the above.

You can do a high intensity workout like a spin class and that will burn a ton of calories and get you more fit, but it is less efficient at specifically burning fat. Btw, I am assuming fat is what you want to lose, not lean muscle mass.

WRONG! Stop perpetuating that bull please. The so-called fat-burning zone is the biggest line of bull ever sold to people. So it of course gets spread from one person to their friend/family member/co-worker and on and on it goes. STOP IT!

I'm sorry to be harsh but that one really gets under my skin. The higher your heart rate goes the more calories you will burn it's very simple. What the fat-burning zone means is that during your time in that zone that a greater % of over-all fat will be burned than in a higher zone. In the higher zone a smaller % will be from fat calories.

For instance you may burn 50-55% of fat calories during the fat-burning(aerobic) zone but you may only burn 35-40 during the anaerobic zone but you will burn more over-all calories and you will burn more over-all fat calories in the anaerobic zone, just the % will be lower.

Also during aerobic(lower intensity) zones is where you will burn lean muscle mass NOT during anaerobic(higher intensity) training.

So in closing, please pass that on to any of your friends/family/co-workers instead of perpetuating the myth of the fat-burning zone. Use the information in good health and push harder to burn more calories.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member

. The higher your heart rate goes the more calories you will burn it's very simple. What the fat-burning zone means is that during your time in that zone that a greater % of over-all fat will be burned than in a higher zone. In the higher zone a smaller % will be from fat calories.

For instance you may burn 50-55% of fat calories during the fat-burning(aerobic) zone but you may only burn 35-40 during the anaerobic zone but you will burn more over-all calories and you will burn more over-all fat calories in the anaerobic zone, just the % will be lower.

Thank you for that - I have been getting really confused about this matter recently!
  • You're welcome. It confuses a lot of people that don't understand it, which goes for a vast amount of the fitness population.
This discussion has been closed.