What has food shocked you?

Options
Ok so I am full of questions today!

Yesterday (although I stayed in my calories) I had 3 chocolate digestives and was FLABBERGASTERED to discover that 3 measley biscuits had 258 calories! Thats like a whole meals worth of calories!

So just wondering what others have eaten and then realised after that the amount of calories is really high compared to healthy alternatives

(I knew that the biscuits were not healthy but after being really good for weeks it certainly made me see how easy it can be to shove calories down without thinking)

Jaycee x

Replies

• BoresEasily
    Options
    Chips and pizza. Of course if you can eat them in moderation it's alright, but I'm unable to eat chips in moderation so I limit myself to once or twice a week and same with pizza. The calories in a slice of pizza just shocked me to the core when I first looked it up. Other things that shocked me were how few calories cucumbers/carrots and salsa have.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    With the exception of Dominos, surprisingly there aren't a lot of calories in a slice from Dominos, at least less calories than in a slice of the frozen rising crusts I enjoy so much.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    With the exception of Dominos, surprisingly there aren't a lot of calories in a slice from Dominos, at least less calories than in a slice of the frozen rising crusts I enjoy so much.

dominos is actually really bad lol go with the thin crust its the best bet and stay away from dominos pasta bowls 1600 calories in a primavera lol i used to work their
  • eileenscott
    Options
    I was surprised how few calories there were in breadsticks. And yes...generally how calorific all my favourite treats are, mmmmmm.....cake.....
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    My daughter bought home a mudslide pie that served 4 and i was horrified to find 509 calories per TINY portion. That was my first temptation and I resisted it with ease after seeing the calories!

Always pleasantly surprised by the very low calories in veg...always loved veg but have developed a greater love for the green things!
  • carmen1485
    Options
    Pastry! I buy (OK, used to buy) the JusRol stuff. There are 2700 calories in one pack and that would be split over 4 meals at nearly 700 calories just on pastry. So that's half my current daily calories in one go. Not going to be happening going forward :smile:
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    carrot cake! i thought carrots were healthy :p
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Hobnobs! Why on earth are they so delicious?! Seven grams of fat in one little biscuit. You can have a whole row (5 chunks) of the big, 230g Cadbury Dairy Milk Fruit & Nut for all that fat. Unfortunately, I'd rather have the Hobnobs. :(
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    White crusty bread, It has huge amounts of calories! Makes a bowl of soup a high cal option instead of a low cal one. Grrrrr. But I do love it:grumble:
  • mrsknash
    mrsknash Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked up the recipe for carrot cake... you'll soon see why! How can it taste so good though when its made of such awful ingredients?!?! lol

Cheesecake was my shocker - over a day's worth of saturates in one measly slice!
  • SMJ64
    SMJ64 Posts: 66
    Options
    Pasta and rice. not enough flavour for the calorie punch. Pasta used to be a staple for me. Not anymore. :(
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    LoL.
    Anything with chocolate has a lot of calories.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Pasta and rice. not enough flavour for the calorie punch. Pasta used to be a staple for me. Not anymore. :(

Really? Most of my pasta dishes using 2 oz. (1/8 of the total box) only have between 300-400 total including the cheese I dump on top. Perhaps you just need new recipes. I've found that it's the store bought sauce that will kill you will all the calories and tons of sugar...but making your own sauce with tomatoes and other low cal ingredients plus adding some lean meat like chicken...

Anyway, I've lost weight eating pasta at least 4 times a week for dinner...
  • Jillyc72
    Options
    Peanut butter! I knew it was high cal, but my 'guesstimation' of a teaspoon which the jar says is 95 calories was at least double. I actually weighed how much I spread on a slice of bread and from that day forward decided it just wasn't worth it!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    oooh yes...cake is naughty! Luckily my fiance works in a cake factory..so I cannot stand the things anymore!

Pies, pasties and sausage rolls were quite frightening to me...but as I've been doing this since April..I don't even look at those naughty foods anymore..

But when I fancy something....I will have it..:flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I think the biggest shocker for me was the chili cheese fries appetizer from Outback Steakhouse. I KNEW it was bad because it was from a restaurant like that, and it has bad ingredients...but really, 2200 calories per serving?!?!?! What's the point of eating the meal after that???

On a side note, if you make your own chili cheese fries at home by baking the potatoes in the oven without oils and then use some low fat chili and melted Laughing Cow cheese, then it's quite a tasty treat that can fit better into the diary. :flowerforyou:
  • louloup
    louloup Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am shocked by the amount of sugar in those yogurt drinks and some yogurts. Some have the same as a can of coke.

NOT WORTH IT :noway:
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I am shocked by the amount of sugar in those yogurt drinks and some yogurts. Some have the same as a can of coke.

NOT WORTH IT :noway:

TOTALLY AGREE!!! I eat Greek yogurt sparingly, but I stay away from all other yogurt unless it is a small amount used in a larbger recipe. Even the "no sugar added" plain yogurts have 15+ grams of sugar!!! No wonder the doctor told my diabetic mom not to ever eat yogurt.
  • pennfields
    Options
    i just went and registered a custard cream in my food diary... 57 cals for 1, that explains alot when i used to sit and eat the whole packet after dinner.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i just went and registered a custard cream in my food diary... 57 cals for 1, that explains alot when i used to sit and eat the whole packet after dinner.

Lol I am the same with biscuits - one is only enough when its one packet! Just not fair they have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many calories!