Why do people criticise clean eaters/healthy lifestyles.

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Orthorexia Nervosa
  • geek23ka
    geek23ka Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Anyone who claims that his or her way of doing things is THE way to live is inherently wrong and deserves ridicule.

this bears repeating
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    While the style of eating is often critiqued, and sometimes mocked, it is typically the underlying superiority complex that many have, as evidenced by several posts in this thread, that is castigated.

tumblr_lsltlvUOvq1qkym48_zpsda3d88a8.gif

I have nothing against clean eaters. I respect everyone's choice of diet. Whether it is healthy, unhealthy, or somewhere in between. Everyone has a right to choose what they put in their body. And as long as they are not developing an eating disorder, I probably will not comment on their choices.

Many of the posts here have already answered your question, though. Accusing people of being jealous, or 'hating', is not going to make anyone want to praise your lifestyle. It is going to put them on the defensive, which is going to make them criticize your lifestyle.

My philosophy on life is 'live and let live'. If you eat clean, or go vegan, or practice a paleo lifestyle, or whatever... that's cool. As long as you accept that I don't, I will accept that you do. But once you start talking about how your diet is automatically healthier and accusing me of being uneducated... that respect flies out the window.

For me, it's this. I actually had someone tell me I would never be 'healthy' or 'fit' if I didn't eat clean. I respected this person and it REALLY hurt my feelings as I've managed to lose 50lbs. AND keep it OFF with no real yo-yoing. For me, that means I'm much healthier and more fit than before because I've stuck it out. I've not gained it back. I've maintained. And I've been slowly but surely working down lower now. So, it hurt; and of course I felt defensive. Especially since this person said it because I was talking about some leftover candy from the holiday. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think there is a THING wrong with lean meats, fresh veggies, or even specific lifestyles like low carb, vegan, or whatever. Each person has to find a way of eating that works for their lives and is going to work long term. AND, I am SURE my food has gotten 'cleaner' just due to wanting to fill up for less cals. My issue is that she flat out said I would never achieve anything because I didn't eat 'clean' like her. And like others have mentioned, at this point, I really have NO clue what that is suppose to mean since I know for a fact that I've seen this same person who criticized what I am doing drink alcohol, eat fast food, and do some not so clean things. Yet, she felt ok criticizing my food intake? I don't feel my food is all that bad. I have lots of fresh fruit and veg, lean meats, and occasional treats. We've known each other for a while and she's seen how I eat. Still, I was criticized. THAT is what burns me up. What gives someone else the right to automatically assume that I WANT to look like you, be at your level of fitness, or do the things you do!?!? I don't. I have my OWN GOALS, thank you very much! If you want to eat that way and you feel great, that's good. Feel free to say that. But do NOT criticize what I am doing when I've been successful, feel good, maintained, and am happy. If I am whining or complaining, that is one thing. I wasn't. I just don't get why the commentary always has to be, 'Well, you either do XYZ or you're just not doing it right.' I don't get why there has to be a label. I just flat out don't get it. And as a result, this person and I aren't really speaking anymore. All over her thinking her lifestyle is superior to mine. My point is, it's not about how you eat, how you workout, or any of that. It's about the attitude.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Success brings out hate. Bonus points if you happen to be a walking rebuttal to their favorite excuse. People don't have a strong a reaction to "extreme" or expensive diets though because they anticipate a fast return to the fold. If you can create a working diet that uses almost nothing but convenient things it's going to be a whole different kettle of fish than if you do it with actress-feed so the quinoa is probably if anything cutting down on the hate.

Is this the voodoo magic bot?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If someone criticises my food choices, they'll get asked for their sources to justify their reasoning.
    I'll happily provide some of mine, but as with many wacky food choices, there may not be specific evidence to discredit them - I'll certainly very happily read through any decent sources people provide to support their points of view. Unfortunately that's pretty much unheard of when you're talking 'clean' and so on.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    How many "clean-eaters" does it take to eat a cupcake?

One, if no one's looking.

Haaaa! Reading nine pages of this ****e was worth it just for that quote.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

I dont buy any food with ingredients of which I dont know - no Es no artificial stuff no enhancers no flavourants, so ready made stuff, no mayo and no ketchup ( I make my own of tom paste, made own mayo before but alas too fattening lol)

Everything cooked from scratch - fruit veg and whole grains, if I buy meat - i buy cuts and make my own mince, no sweets, chips or anything in a 'packet'. I bake own bread too, when I can make preserves, etc.

My gosh...I'd kill to have that much time on my hands.

tumblr_meq4p4Jfhe1rzp2t8o1_400.gif

LMFAO. x2
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of people have an issue with people who brag about it and act superior. People can eat whatever they want and be active/inactive for all I care, but I definitely get annoyed when people find themselves to be better than others because they enjoy eating healthily and work out all the time.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    One word ' Pretentious'

Ordering a salad = Pretentious
    Ordering a burger = Normal

Normal beat the hell out the the Pretentious. The end.

What? Ordering a salad is not normal? And people think that ordering a salad somehow makes them more healthy than someone ordering a burger?

Is this a joke?

I still think there is confusion here. It's not the ordering of the salad. It's the parading around of one's beliefs as if you are better than someone else

No, I understood that. I'm confused as to why someone would think eating a salad makes them better or healthier than someone else. Because I don't think of salad as being something way outside the norm of what most people eat - everyone I know eats salad. And as Acrylics pointed out, just because it's a salad doesn't mean it's healthy, you can easily rack up the calories in a salad. I guess I'm surprised to see that the healthy/clean crew thinks that normal people don't like or don't eat salads. What exactly do clean eaters think everyone else eats?

2000 calories of poptarts, ice cream, and doritos.

Quite disappointing; no reference to Gelato :sad: :sad:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Success brings out hate. Bonus points if you happen to be a walking rebuttal to their favorite excuse. People don't have a strong a reaction to "extreme" or expensive diets though because they anticipate a fast return to the fold. If you can create a working diet that uses almost nothing but convenient things it's going to be a whole different kettle of fish than if you do it with actress-feed so the quinoa is probably if anything cutting down on the hate.

Is this the voodoo magic bot?
    I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE.jpg
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    No issues, unless someone tries to force their views on me or criticize how I eat. Then we would have a problem :) paleos, vegans, vegetarians, Atkins people, junk food junkies and the rest will try and convince that their way is best. Like religion and politics when it comes to food I have the same philosophy: Do what you will, harm none, respect my beliefs and don't shove yours down my throat.

Educating someone on your life style is one thing, putting them down is another.

Seems you are on the right track, shame on those who judge you.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I also calorie cycle all week so that throws people off too!

What calories cycle? Just curious.

It means I count net calories weekly so if i decide to go over by 800 calories one day by eating 4 king size recees cups i can cut those 800 down throughout the week to meet my weekly calorie goal.

This confuses people who see me eat two packages of receeses in a sitting but claim i am on a diet and still losing weight while I enjoy food :) If i go over serevrly on calories one day I cut down my daily calories for the rest of the week to meet my weekly goal :)

Because I did enjoy two packages of reeses this week I am down to consume a mere 1000 cals on sunday which is fine because sundays are my fasting day :)

Ok....I sort of do that. :love: Receese's peanut butter cups!! Thanks for the info.
  • doIdaretoeatapeach
    doIdaretoeatapeach Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    OP said "clean eating" resolved her IBS. I think telling your friends that if you eat X you'll get explosive diarrhea would be a pretty good way to kill the conversation.

If your friends want to hear more about your diarrhea, then you definitely need some new friends.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'd never criticize someone's food choices if they kept their mouth shut about it. However, if you pipe up with some unsolicited advice, I'd criticize away. Every lifestyle choice, be it food, religion, or others can be criticized. Nothing and no one is beyond reproach. If you tell me your way is the right way, I'll promptly tell you why your wrong.

If your invited to go to the pub, but your "clean eating" prevents you from going, just decline the invitation. If someone presses you for a reason, a simple "I don't drink" or "I don't enjoy being at the pub" should suffice. If not, then they are being an a-hole.

I have to say though, your post kind of made me bristle for a few reasons. Your attitude towards gluten is one. You seem to think that gluten is un-clean. I believe that to be just plain wrong, barring Celiac Disease or allergy.

And because I think that gluten is completely natural, your post implies that I'm un-educated.

It's crap like that that give me the impression that you're probably preachy.

So stop talking about your food choices without being asked. If people comment on your food choices without being prompted, then they're just being a-holes. Ignore it and move on.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Commenting on a topic invites comment. Why would anyone talk about your dietary lifestyle unless you brought it up? I don't eat wheat, rice or potato. I simply don't order it or leave it on the plate. I don't mention it so no one comments. If the food I prefer is unavailable that is my fault for not planning ahead. I adjust or don't eat, I don't b1tch. I once attended a crawfish boil at my brother's house. The vegetarian spouse of a guest showed up with her vegan burgers (along with attitude) which she handed to my brother to cook. He smiled, led her to the grill and handed them right back to her. The three other vegetarians at the party enjoyed the veg, fruit and salad sides without trying to "convert" everyone. Intelligent people have no reason to criticize clean eating/healthy lifestyles. They have every reason to criticize *kitten* with a holier than thou attitude wrecking every social eating event.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    People hate what they can't have or find too difficult to do themselves. If these are your friends, you need to decide are you following your dreams, or their lazy attitudes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    People hate what they can't have or find too difficult to do themselves. If these are your friends, you need to decide are you following your dreams, or their lazy attitudes.

They are just jelos. Amirite?
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    A recent study conducted by the University of Bruh Sciernce found that clean eaters are more likely to receive flack for their eating habits because they won't sthu about their eating habits.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Commenting on a topic invites comment. Why would anyone talk about your dietary lifestyle unless you brought it up? I don't eat wheat, rice or potato. I simply don't order it or leave it on the plate. I don't mention it so no one comments. If the food I prefer is unavailable that is my fault for not planning ahead. I adjust or don't eat, I don't b1tch. I once attended a crawfish boil at my brother's house. The vegetarian spouse of a guest showed up with her vegan burgers (along with attitude) which she handed to my brother to cook. He smiled, led her to the grill and handed them right back to her. The three other vegetarians at the party enjoyed the veg, fruit and salad sides without trying to "convert" everyone. Intelligent people have no reason to criticize clean eating/healthy lifestyles. They have every reason to criticize *kitten* with a holier than thou attitude wrecking every social eating event.
    that!!!
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-22469-1374250351-40.gif