Eat This Not That, Top Swaps for Thanksgiving!

Options
I love this newsletter...

"According to the Calorie Control Council, the average American will consume 4,500 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving day, a feat worthy of competitive eating accolades on any other day. But that doesn't mean you can't stuff your face without testing the fortitude of your new designer jeans. We imagine you'll want turkey. Cranberry sauce. Potatoes, sure. Gravy. Maybe some veggies on the side. Oh, and pie? Yeah, go for it! But just by making a couple of smart at-the-table swaps you could eat to your heart's content and still take in 700 fewer calories than you did last year. Now that's something to be thankful for!"

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/top-swaps-thanksgiving#title

Replies

• AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    What a great article, thanks!!!
  • GunNut37086
    GunNut37086 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was just reading this a couple of days ago...glad someone posted it.

The potato w/gravy swap for the sweet potato casserole surprised me a little.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Haha! I'm with you on the stuffing! However my family only serves mashed potatoes and regular dinner rolls, so that helps. I'm planning on sticking to one serving of stuff and avoiding the stuffing cooked in the turkey (we make extra from the box or whatever). Between the turkey, corn, potato, stuffing and roll, I think i can contain the calorie count. Now dessert... that's another story. And the pre-dinner beer.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Great info! I was already planning on some of these swaps....luckily I like white turkey meat better! I will HAVE to stay away from eating double servings of the sides! :) Hope you all have a healthy and happy Thanksgiving!!! Be thankful for our health! :)
  • MarieS1967
    MarieS1967 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key during any holiday and/or social function. Just eat less of all your favorites, eat slow, "feel" the food, engage yourself!

I get up a litte earlier, make my walk 15 minutes longer than ususal, come home and begin.......This year my gym is open from 7:00am to 12:00 to encourage people to move a little. I am going to take advantage of this opportunity. It will remind me I AM IN CONTROL - not the Food!

Enjoy your thanksgiving with family and friends, Marie Elena
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would have a hard time trading is the stuffing. We don't stuff the bird though. In fact we are having pheasant and ham.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Agreed. It's super tough for me to give up the stuffing too. I'm not using any butter in mine...SAY WHAT?! Just using a little bit of oil and the rest is just chicken stock, apples, onions, celery, spicy turkey sausage, sage, s&p and dried ciabatta. yum yum yum
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    Our meal is usually full of protein on my end. My dad and I have always done a ground beef/ground pork stuffing with almonds and raisins. It's delicious and fills the turkey with great juices and seasoning. We don't do sweet potatoes...we do spanish rice and oven baked beans...so no heavy mashed. The rice has chick peas in it. So at least I don't feel too bad.

The good news is that we're going to my in-laws that afternoon, and THEIRs is a more "Traditional" menu (oyster stuffing, yams, mashed pot, loads of bread, cornbread stuffing, turkey is DEEP FRIED vs just baked, massive desserts) -- good news of that is that I' can say I'm full and not upset anyone...they mostly want to see the kids anyhow :-)