Running Shoes or insoles

Options
So I started C25K program yesterday, day 1 week 1 successful, but my feet were killing me, any suggestions with shoes or does anyone use insoles?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go overboard just yet. If you are unaccustomed to running, your feet may need to get stronger along with other parts of your body. Try it out a few more times before worrying about specific shoes or insoles.
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    They will hurt until you get used to it. Also what shoes are you wearing? I wear Nike Air Max, and i only wear them to run in. If your running in shoes that you wear everyday, then they are considered "wornout" if you haven't replaced them in 6 months. I know weird hun? Brooks, new balance, nike, all have really good shoes. Also I have a extremely high arc and have to have extra insoles in mine, so you might try that as well. But get used to your feet hurting after a workout until you get used to it. Congrats on your accomplishment of starting C25K!!!!!
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I would try insoles first (just my opinion). When I worked for UPS a shoe lady/nurse came in to talk to our drivers. She said people replace shoes all the time when they really just need new insoles. Supposedly the sole and "body" of the shoe lasts about 3 times as long as the insoles!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I know its really expensive BUT,

If you're going to commit to running then having a proper pair of running shoes is so essential! I went to a running store and was properly fitted and I noticed an immediate improvement to my ability to stay on the track for extended periods. Once a week I stay on the track and do my current C25K interval followed by repeating an earlier interval from week 2 or 3 (so I'm on the track for a full hour).

I'm finishing week 5 of C25K and I'm just dealing with my first running injury (my knee is rotating oddly).
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I swear by the Reebok Easy Tones. I have a pair of Nike Shox and since I was a bartender I am used to being on my feet. I wear those Reebok's EVERYWHERE! I've worn them bartending, running, my hip hop aerobics class...and my feet never hurt. They have air cushions in the bottom to make you balance and work some muscles you didn't know you had! I don't have knee problems but my Shox make my knees sore after awhile...these never do. I came home everyday from bartending and I always had a little leg soreness...but a good, I'm getting toned sore. They're slightly pricey...but please look into them! And unlike the Sketchers shoes you can do SO much more in them! I bought those and they were back at the store the next day.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I really love my asics!!! They are running shoes and give me the support I need. When I first started my weight loss journey, I needed something to support my ankles, feet, legs, ect. They feel great and have awesome arch support. I have the womens GT-2150 running shoes. Hopefully you find something that works for you! :)
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    They will hurt until you get used to it. Also what shoes are you wearing? I wear Nike Air Max, and i only wear them to run in. If your running in shoes that you wear everyday, then they are considered "wornout" if you haven't replaced them in 6 months. I know weird hun? Brooks, new balance, nike, all have really good shoes. Also I have a extremely high arc and have to have extra insoles in mine, so you might try that as well. But get used to your feet hurting after a workout until you get used to it. Congrats on your accomplishment of starting C25K!!!!!

thanks, all i know is that hey're nike lol, i did buy them jsut to run a few months ago but didn't use them often so i think they're still fairly new. i think i'll try insoles for a little more comfort then see how that feels after a few months or so... hopefully the cold weather doesn't keep me indoors... lousy time to start running lol
  • smaem
    smaem Posts: 12
    Options
    Either could mean a solution for the pain. Try finding a running store with a free "gait analysis". They'll determine your exact shoe size and where you carry your weight on your feet as well as if you have an over pronation or under pronation (roll your feet out or in) while you run. From there they'll be able to suggest different kinds of shoes or insoles to support your foot contour and running style. I've been an avid runner for years, and recently found out in a gait analysis that I wasn't even wearing the correct shoe size!

Yes, your pain might also be due to getting accustomed to running, but the correct pair of shoes can mean saving you from an early running injury. Revisit the shoes store as you get stronger and your running technique evolves to see if you still require the same shoes or insoles.

Good luck!
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    wow thanks for all the input everyone... makes me want togo shoe shopping lol... but that'll have to wait... it's one of my goal rewards lol
  • svackar
    Options
    I know its really expensive BUT,

If you're going to commit to running then having a proper pair of running shoes is so essential! I went to a running store and was properly fitted and I noticed an immediate improvement to my ability to stay on the track for extended periods. Once a week I stay on the track and do my current C25K interval followed by repeating an earlier interval from week 2 or 3 (so I'm on the track for a full hour).

I'm finishing week 5 of C25K and I'm just dealing with my first running injury (my knee is rotating oddly).

I agree - it's best to visit a running store and get properly fitted! Each running shoe is designed for a different type of runner, the associates at the store should be able to advise you on the best shoes for your type of running (neutral, under-pronator or over-pronator). Having the proper fitted shoe & type made a huge different for me years ago...I'm not a huge runner, but it helped me while walking and jogging. Good luck!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    BTW, I was fitted for a proper pair of shoe's before I started C25K.

The day before I got my new shoes I did 5km of walking and had horrible blisters and arch pain.
    Got my new shoes and some running socks and haven't had any blisters or foot pain since.. and now I'm running not walking!

Your feet shouldn't hurt after doing 30 mins of walking/running intervals.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i too would try the insoles first. you don't need an expensive pair of sneakers, but don't go to payless either. i changed my insoles back to my old pair and i can run on the treadmill again. used to get shinsplints - not much foot pain.

i use

http://www.amazon.com/Spenco-Her-Factor-Cushion-Womens/dp/B000U60I9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290614333&sr=8-1