Why is it?

Options
I am a 43 yr old woman who has been obese most of my life. Honestly, the only reason I want to lose weight is to get healthy for my niece. Other than that, I am a happy person. Why is it that happiness is associated with being thin? Why do people make it out that you can NOT be a happy person if you are overweight?

It just baffles me because I am not the one with a problem with me.. It is everyone else. I don't want to be on this journey to make everyone else happy. I want it to be for me. How do I make myself realize it isn't for everyone else's benefit? Seriously, I love my niece more than life itself, and want to be around for a long time to see her grow and become everything she can be.

Words of wisdom anyone?

Replies

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think you have really answered your own question with your OWN words of wisdom....: "Seriously, I love my niece more than life itself, and want to be around for a long time to see her grow and become everything she can be."

Obesity can lead to all sorts of health problems. So, by losing some of the weight, you will be healthy and around long enough to enjoy seeing your niece grow up, maybe go to university, get married, have children, whatever ends up making her happy...! And then you will still be healthy and around to play with any children she may have! So, although it may seem to be for other people's happiness, I am guessing that being able to see your niece grow up will also make YOU even happier than you already are! Win win for you and everyone who gets to be around you for longer than may be if you end up with obesity-related health problems! :flowerforyou:
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. I guess I did answer it. I just get SO frustrated when other people tell me I would be SO much happier if I would lose weight. LOL, most of them overweight themselves. I want to be like, "Have you looked at yourself lately?" Then I think that maybe they are warning me NOT to live the life they have. I dunno.

Just a bit frustrated. Thanks for the pep talk. Add me if you like.
  • Delquin
    Delquin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has a need to impose their own definition of happiness on other people. But what is "happy?" At the end of my work day, I'm happy relaxing on the couch, watching crappy TV and playing on my ipad. I'm happy taking a nap. :) My husband is the complete opposite. He feels better when he's doing something all of the time. If I told him to sit down, relax and watch a movie, he'd be miserable.

We need to understand that each of us define our own happiness. Some people don't understand how someone could be happy being overweight. With others, they don't understand how then can be happy living in an apartment, or with others it's how can you be happy doing THAT job, or letting your hair go grey, or a myriad other things.

We're on the planet for a short time. Be happy first. It's harder to achieve than healthiness.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    For me it's not that I'm unhappy, it's the fact that I want to extend that happiness for as long as possible, and the chances of living a long, happy life are greatly diminished at 200+ pounds.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You believe you wouldn't be happier in life if you were leaner and healthier?