Not losing weight-- what am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• katiescarlettmartin
    Options
    Hello,

I know exactly how you feel-- I started around 260 and I am about your size now and I hit a plateu not long ago. It occured to me that you could be over-excersing, and you could also be eating the right about of calories but the wrong stuff. I was going to the gym everyday and killing myself until my trainer friend pointed out to me that my wourk outs, in terms of efficency, were suffering because I was tired, stressed, and my muscles were maxed out. At that point it does more harm than good. Also, I was eating within my calorie range but I wasn't eating enough of the right kind of stuff that my body needed to function well and drop the fat. You need to max out your calories with things like lean meats, fish, and fiborous veggies. As well as fruit and limited amounts of healthy fats. If you're anything like me, stop munching on protien bars/granola bars etc. and trying to fit things that are bad for you into your diet. Better to have a big healthy serving of a combo of all the good stuff than a small piece of pizza. I know a "calorie is a calorie" but if you aren't getting all the nutrients your body needs to function efficently, it will never respond the way you want it to. Similarly, re-vamp your workouts and focus on efficency and incorporate meaningful rest days. 2+ days should be recovery, so do some yoga, some walking, or even swimming on those days. On the others, focus on high intensity interval training (for cardio) and lifts that use multiple body parts. A shorter workout means less stress on the body, and HITT is one of the best ways to burn calories efficently. Definietly talk to a trainer about your concerns and find one that can help you organize a good routine.
  • sawarnick80
    sawarnick80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat where I've made al lthe necessary changes and have upped my cardio as well as working with a PT with no change in the scale. I'm not sure how much you're currently drinking, but make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day.

Based on what you said about already feeling hungry with how you're managing now, I don't know that I'd say you're eating too much, but I don't know what your daily intake looks like, so like everyone else here can only speculate. You could also consider working with a nutrionist to determine if there's anything that can be changed/tweaked on that end.

You can also measure and track your inches as you may not be losins pounds but could be losing inches instead, which wouldn't be reflected on the scale. Don't believe the common myth that muscle weighs more than fat, as it doesn't a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle, but fat does take up more space than muscle.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Perhaps sharing my experience might help? I have a stressful job and I've been compensating for what's going on at work with more and more exercise. But I was slowly gaining weight even though I was trying to be careful with my eating (but I was eating out almost every meal) AND I kept increasing my exercise. A friend of mine recommended an Exercise coach so I met with him and he did the following:

#1- he greatly reduced the amount of my exercise. Said I was over stressing my body and probably throwing my hormones out of whack and in effect was working against myself.

#2 - He completely changed up my diet and asked me to cook at home 90% or more where I could control all the additives (salt, sauces, sugar, etc.) AND that I weigh every piece of my meals. He also moved me to 6 meals a day with lots of protein at each meal and only low glycemic carbs (some brown rice, more quinoa and lots and lots of green veges).

#3 - Asked me to get more SLEEP! Said that was key and to be sure I was drinking enough water. I wasn't.

So I started this 3 months or so ago and now down 20 lbs but at the same time I'm stronger and my muscles are more prominent (due to less fat but with the reduction in cardio and getting more rest I think I've put on some muscle gains).

Waist and hips are down 4" but chest and arms are the same though they appear more muscular.

So take a look at your meals and weigh everything and at the same time make sure your getting enough rest. The human body is a complex machine so it's not just calories in and calories out. The types of food we eat and the rest we get directly impacts our metabolism and that can really improve how many calories you are burning.

I am a firm believer in that I can't out exercise my mouth. So finding a balance between exercise, rest and good food seems to do the trick at least for me.

Hope this helps!
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation: long, intense workouts (2x day), eating nutritiously, and counting calories, but losing weight very, very slowly. I went to my Dr and nothing was wrong. It's really frustrating and I feel your pain. I eventually burned out, and stopped altogether, and then regained weight.

I've now restarted, but am focusing more on nutrition and less on workouts (but still working out moderately, 30-60 min/4-6 days/week). I decided my workout schedule wasn't emotionally healthy AND it wasn't helping me achieve my weight loss goals. I used to eat back some exercise calories but not any more, since I wasn't losing weight. I'd just consider scaling back a bit and seeing if that will not only help your physical but maybe also your emotional well-being.

And if you continue to eat back cals, remember to calculate net exercise calories (so subtract what you would have burned during that time doing nothing). This was mentioned already but needs to be reemphasized.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and weigh 203 lbs. I'm considered obese by my doctor. I dunno if that means I'd burn more or not.

We are almost exactly the same size - and I've had weeks where I'm not losing but my clothes fit better.

I've had success with the fitbit - and even with walking 10,000 steps a day, I don't burn more than 450.
  • jerarant
    jerarant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
  • dellyfoff
    dellyfoff Posts: 1
    Options
    it does sound like you are actually not eating enough hun. I've lost nearly 2 stones in the last 8 weeks and don't weigh everything in fact I weigh out almost nothing. I spoke to my practice nurse who said your body needs a certain ammount of calories just to function roughly 1000 to 1500 for a woman, dependant on size. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 pound. If you are exercising and not eating enough then your body is reacting and goes into starvation mode for self preservation. I fill in the food diary and exercise diary on here and its is showing that I eat between 1000 to 1500 and any extra calories earned by exercise are what I am burning off. I filled in all my details and it says I can eat about 2500 and still lose, this will change as I lose more weight.That is without what it gives me back for any exercise I do. I also am a member of a slimming club and get great advice from them and my gp practice. As I said I've already lost a lot, roughly 3 lbs per week and I have plans for even more. It will be a long journey and worth every step. Hope this helps quote]
    I'm not just walking 2-3 hours. I'm doing that in addition to being at the gym for an hour or 2. In an average day I'm up and moving around 4 hours.

But like everyone seems to be saying, I guess I'm eating too much. I already feel like I'm starving and light-headed all day so Idk how eating even less is supposed to make me healthy... but apparently I need to.

Please don't tell me I'm making "excuses". I'm trying VERY VERY VERY hard. It's all I think about and all I've been focusing energy on. I'm not making excuses. I'm very frustrated, hurt, and confused. No sass is necessary. I'll just see my doctor.
    How much of your workout, exercise calories are you eating back? I saw in a previous post that your net calories could be anywhere from -300 to 500 and if that is the case you may not be eating enough if your spending so much time moving and being active. If your not eating enough calories to fuel your workouts your body will start to go into starvation mode and will hold onto everything to protect itself. I personally find that if my net calories fall below consistently fall below 1200, I stop losing weight. I'm also finding that if I work out too hard too many days in a row, I also stop losing no matter how much I eat or don't eat.

As my youngest son recently commented, this whole dieting and eating healthy this is really hard. Especially knowing what you should be eating and how much you should be working out. It's a delicate balance, and there is no formula that works for every single person out there. Hang in there! Even if the scale isn't moving in the direction you want, you're out there exercising and making better food choices and doing good things for yourself. If your health plan allows and your still frustrated, maybe meeting with a nutritionist could help as well, they could look at what you're logging and your work outs and provide insight.
    [/quote]
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
  • alyssareyans
    alyssareyans Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm 200+ lbs at the moment. I also have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) which I take meds daily for along with anti depressants. Since Oct 2013 I've lost a total of 60 lbs. It's not the fastest rate in the world but I just wanted to post to let people know it can be done.

I do have occasions where I'll stop losing weight. If I have a few weeks with zero movement on the scale and zero loss of inches, then I take a hard look at my calories. I'm one of those people who lets calories creep up on them so if I stop losing for a few weeks then I know it's due to me eating more than I think I am. Especially since I'm an emotional eater.

I don't beat myself up about it. I just get more strict about weighing, counting, measuring my food. That's why I ended up here on MFP. I had gone nearly two months with no weight loss (no gain either which I took as a positive). So I started looking for a way I could track my food better. Since joining here I've lost 15 lbs and 4 inches around my hips and waist.

I know people always assume it's the thyroid and while it may not be easy, it is entirely possible to lose weight while having thyroid issues.

I'm not saying the OP has thyroid issues but "IF" it ended up being that, it's not the end of the world. And even though I have thyroid issues, if I'm not losing I don't automatically assume it's due to my thyroid.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Well lets see........lets do some math here........you say you could be burning up to 1800 calories from working out(which I think is on the high side) so lets use the numer of 1200.

You say your eat 1200-1800 calories a day.........Does that add up to you? Is this number before or after exercise because if it's before then right there is your problem........you aren't eating enough. Your body needs fuel and if you aren't giving it any then you aren't going to lose weight. Well, eventually because you'd be totally starving yourself but generally no. If you are still giving your body food but not enough it's not going to let go of any extra.

I saw one of your responses that said you are already light headed..........Seriously? Then you aren't eating enough!! End of story. That's common sense. You should not be dizzy, light headed or in anyway unwell if you are eating enough.
  • johnseitz
    johnseitz Posts: 30
    Options
    I know what you mean, I am having the same problem.

the way I figure it, your not going to have anything positive happen if you quit. And if you don't quit, it will happen. find a way to have fun while working out. at this time next year, your friends won't recognize you...JUST DONT QUIT!!!
  • dannidee3
    dannidee3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read some of the responses & got wore out so forgive me if this is a repeat. Years ago I dealt with the same issues. I was working out and reducing calories and still kept gaining weight. Turns out that I was pregnant with our second child. The water weight showed up well before any other signs of pregnancy. This may not relate to you at all but just thought I'd throw it out there. Good for you for seeking answers & pushing forward! -Danielle
  • dannidee3
    dannidee3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nice reply Johnseitz! :) Encouragement goes a long way!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT. If I see that one more time I'm going to lose my mind!

1lb of muscle = 1lb of fat ... because ONE POUND EQUALS ONE POUND

That being said, one pound of muscle may be leaner than one pound of fat. So, rather than seeing a change on your scale you may see a change in your body shape (although you mentioned an inch off of your waist and a half an inch off of your hips - if I am quoting you correctly, apologies if those numbers are off) so that doesn't seem to be what's going on.

I hope you find a schedule for working out and a mindset that make you happy and less stressed! best of luck with the rest of your journey!

You don't gain muscle at the same rate that you lose water/fat, so noob muscle gain for the OP wouldn't stall the scale.

Increased water retention due to exercise however....

True. :) My rant was more about the ever quoted "muscle weighs more than fat" line.

OK, the bolded line made me think you meant the latter.
  • Aikigoth
    Aikigoth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    To the OP (who may no longer be reading....IDK):

1. HRM monitors have their pros and cons. They are not for weight lifting or stop and go exercise. I'm about 3" taller than you and at 188. I tend to find that my heart rate monitor comes in line with popular calorie estimates for high activity stuff....zumba/ competitive racketball/ roller skating. I spent 3 hours at a skating rink the other day....burned 1558; that was with regular skates and almost keeping up with speed skaters.

I keep my heart rate monitor on when I lift (about 50 minutes with a trainer)...it will tell me that I burned the same as a 60 minute zumba class. Ha- nope. After a zumba class, I'm done for the day. Weight lifting...give me an hour and I'm energetic again. Basically, if it isn't steady state, don't use the HRM....unless you just want to know your heart rate.

2. Remember, you burn something like 80 calories an hour sitting. So if you walk around for a 2 hours and plug in that you burned 252 calories...you really burned about 92 extra compared to sitting. (Numbers will vary of course due to your weight/ walking speed.) For weight loss, you need to burn calories above your resting rate.

3. Look at your macros. Many people do better with more protein.

4. Stress. From your posts and reactions to people, I'm not thinking you are in a happy mental place right now. It might be worth the money to see a counselor or join a therapy group. Do you like your exercises? If not, its always going to be a horrible grind.

Good luck.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You could have Metabolic syndrome. See a doctor.
    Quality of food does matter and you can't exercise a bad diet.
    Too much exercise increases your stress hormones and can stall your weight loss.
    It is not cico. Our body is complicated and many factors can influence the outcome.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Read Aaron_K123's post please OP and follow....this is great advice.
  • going2heaven87
    Options
    For the past month and a week, I've been working out 5-6 days per week. I do various exercises each time but I usually start with a 30-40 minute 12% incline, 3.8mph treadmill walk OR a 30-40 minute intense crossfit workout. Then I always do 10-15 minutes of moderately intense to intense row machine work. After this I'll spend another 20-30 minutes doing various weights, abdominal exercises, etc etc (I have a personal trainer and I mostly utilize the various exercises she has shown me). At the end of the day I usually end up burning anywhere between 1200-1800 calories from workouts, depending on how intense the workouts were and how much I walked that day (usually 30min-2 hours of walking daily).

My daily calorie intake is around 1200-1850 calories (1850 would be the bad days, usually 1 a week). I have a food scale and religiously weigh and record everything.

Problem is.... not only have I not lost weight since I started working out again, but I've gained 2 pounds. This isn't the first time I've tried to lose weight. In the fall I lost around 15 pounds in a month and I wasn't being nearly as good with my workouts (3-4 a week).

I figured that maybe I had a thyroid issue so I asked one of my nurse friends. She says that was good thinking, but considering I was just recently losing weight, chances are the thyroid problems wouldn't kick in so quickly and perhaps the complete lack of weight loss is due to hormonal issues due to stress (ironically I'm the MOST stressed out about not losing weight....very helpful).

Has anyone else had any issues such as this before or have any insight or advice that could point me in the right direction?

If you are burning as much as you are eating, then you should be losing 1-1.5 lbs every other day. I'm glad I don't have issues like that and you may want to get seen. People always worry about medical issues which really isn't that common. It's simple calories in/calories out for me. I eat 500 less than my BMR, workout 3- 45 minutes sessions a week which are mandatory for me and go about my daily life and I am losing weight like crazy. Good luck. I hope the doctor doesn't give you the "you're gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat" BS because if you are gaining a pound of muscle every other day which even outs the fat loss you should be getting based on your numbers, then you will be a body builder in a few months.
  • going2heaven87
    Options
    I'm not just walking 2-3 hours. I'm doing that in addition to being at the gym for an hour or 2. In an average day I'm up and moving around 4 hours.

But like everyone seems to be saying, I guess I'm eating too much. I already feel like I'm starving and light-headed all day so Idk how eating even less is supposed to make me healthy... but apparently I need to.

Please don't tell me I'm making "excuses". I'm trying VERY VERY VERY hard. It's all I think about and all I've been focusing energy on. I'm not making excuses. I'm very frustrated, hurt, and confused. No sass is necessary. I'll just see my doctor.
    How much of your workout, exercise calories are you eating back? I saw in a previous post that your net calories could be anywhere from -300 to 500 and if that is the case you may not be eating enough if your spending so much time moving and being active. If your not eating enough calories to fuel your workouts your body will start to go into starvation mode and will hold onto everything to protect itself. I personally find that if my net calories fall below consistently fall below 1200, I stop losing weight. I'm also finding that if I work out too hard too many days in a row, I also stop losing no matter how much I eat or don't eat.

As my youngest son recently commented, this whole dieting and eating healthy this is really hard. Especially knowing what you should be eating and how much you should be working out. It's a delicate balance, and there is no formula that works for every single person out there. Hang in there! Even if the scale isn't moving in the direction you want, you're out there exercising and making better food choices and doing good things for yourself. If your health plan allows and your still frustrated, maybe meeting with a nutritionist could help as well, they could look at what you're logging and your work outs and provide insight.

You should read this:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/