How do I figure out my LBM?

Options
Hi,

I could use some help in figuring out what my lean body mass is. I've been obese pretty much my entire adult life, except for a brief span in my mid to late 20s.

At that time, I weighed between 145 and 155 and I was 5'8" at the time. I've since lost an inch.

I don't go by the weight I was, do I?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    LBM is weight minus body fat. A trainer at a gym can measure BF for you.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I'm guessing I'm about 50% body fat so I'll go by that for now.
    I don't have a gym membership so the trainer idea is out.

I appreciate you answering. :flowerforyou:
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Are you 155 now, or that's what you were then?

There are some estimators that can use body measurements to guess at your BF%, but they are rough estimates at most. Google "body fat % using body measurements" or something like that.

I had my BF tested at my local university's sports science dept, for like $25. Some gyms will do it for you even if you aren't a member, for a fee.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

There are some estimators that can use body measurements to guess at your BF%, but they are rough estimates at most. Google "body fat % using body measurements" or something like that.

I had my BF tested at my local university's sports science dept, for like $25. Some gyms will do it for you even if you aren't a member, for a fee.

That's what I was then. I'm now 252 and 5'7".

Thanks … I'll google that.
    I'll check with the university to see if they have that available.

I appreciate the help, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

That's what I was then. I'm now 252 and 5'7".

Thanks … I'll google that.
    I'll check with the university to see if they have that available.

I appreciate the help, thanks! :flowerforyou:

some people really obsess about this. i think the only ones for whom it really matters are bodybuilders leading up to a competition, or someone else with similar concerns. for the rest of us, who use it only to calculate BMR and protein macros, i think making an estimate based on similar body types and photos is fine. you can always err on the side of slightly more LBM so that your protein macro is slightly higher. this gives plenty of margin for error.