Cutting out bread...yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight, don't eat any refined carbs - breads, pasta and white rice, and don't eat any sugar - including all fruit juices, and yogurt with the fruity gunk on the bottom.

Have eggs and cheese for breakfast (and a slice of bacon won't kill you), or Greek yogurt and add the berries (but not too many). The rest of the day eat fish, poultry, red meat, avocados and all vegetables. Eat nuts (not peanuts) and sunflower seeds instead of chips, pretzels and all that other garbage for snacks.

Avoid alcohol.

You can eat fast food, but throw out the bun and don't order French fries.

The weight will melt off you whether you exercise or not. And stop counting calories.

Get a scale. Weigh yourself everyday.

Once you hit your ideal weight, eat whatever you want, but keep weighing yourself. If you gain a few pounds, go back to what I told you to do and get back to that ideal weight.

Good luck.
    no

yes

Actually....NO

sorry sparky, lots of people lose weight just fine eating bread and pasta, etc....or maybe I'm just a magical snowflake or something

strong 7th noob post though...bringing the bro-science fo sure!

Oh...and I don't count calories either....

all of that stuff can be a part of a well balanced and nutritious diet....just sayin'....you don't really know what you're talking about.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I gave up bread back in the day when I strictly low carbed. I don't anymore but cravings for bread never returned. I rarely have it, I don't miss it, and my energy levels are perfect.

But it sounds like you enjoy bread, it energizes you and have no problem controlling your intake. Why did you give it up? Assuming that you don't have any insulin or blood sugar problems, it seems utterly pointless to abstain from bread.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you like bread, eat bread. Whole grain breads are better for you in that you typically get more fiber and other micronutrients in addition to the carbs and the fiber will help you be satiated longer.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If giving up bread is going to cause you to go nuts and binge on a few dozen loaves down the road, and decide that losing weight is not for you, then, by all means, eat it.

Personally, when I was losing, I considered bread a poor food choice, offering little satiety, considering the calories and minimal amounts of protein.

And, since I've never been a slave to any foods in particular, I had no problem drastically reducing (not eliminating, because I don't fear bread) my intake.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Yay in my case, sounds like a nay in yours. Although the weight loss stall could be because you're retaining water, since you said you started running recently. But if you don't feel good without bread, eat the bread. Alternately, if you don't want to eat bread, get more carbs from another source like rice or fruits and veggies and see if that helps.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    No way! I'd have to give my bread maker away.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight, don't eat any refined carbs - breads, pasta and white rice, and don't eat any sugar - including all fruit juices, and yogurt with the fruity gunk on the bottom.

Have eggs and cheese for breakfast (and a slice of bacon won't kill you), or Greek yogurt and add the berries (but not too many). The rest of the day eat fish, poultry, red meat, avocados and all vegetables. Eat nuts (not peanuts) and sunflower seeds instead of chips, pretzels and all that other garbage for snacks.

Avoid alcohol.

The weight will melt off you whether you exercise or not. And stop counting calories.

Once you hit your ideal weight, eat whatever you want, but keep weighing yourself. If you gain a few pounds, go back to what I told you to do and get back to that ideal weight.

Good luck.
    What a load of horse ****.

I eat literally all of those things on a regular basis and have no problems losing.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    eat the bread if you like bread.

Bread is an ancient food that has nourished people through famines, gosh even Jesus ate bread.

You like it? Eat it :)

Yeah, never thought of the WWJD argument.

Hard to top that!
  • jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    Options

Avoid alcohol.

Good luck.

Strangely enough, everything you noted has never prevented me from loosing weight. I eat bread, pasta and rice but all of which are wholegrain/wholemeal. Fruit juice is something I have not very often, though I class it as a treat when I do consume it. I've had alcohol, not much but nor has to effected me.

Fast food wouldn't be 'fast food' without the contents you suggested I don't order, I mean I might as well go and buy myself a beef patty from the store and eat that.

The bells started ringing that your post is utter nonsense when you mentioned the weighing every day solution. I weigh every week-2 weeks..I know for a fact weighing every day would drive me (and others on their behalf) insane. I've had no issues with loosing weight other than it slowing down, and since I've started a few months back I haven't even 'cheated' enough for me to raise the numbers on the scale.

I appreciate the comment though, it just meant other people could add their own realistic advice.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    if you're still eating pasta and potatoes whats the difference? they're all starchy carbs..but i don't think there's anything wrong with eating them. weight loss has more to do with calorie intake...where the calories come from doesn't make much difference at the end of the day (as far as weight loss goes)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything entirely, although crackers and chips were something I never liked much and now never eat. But that's just because I'd rather have something else.

As for bread...I think it has a bad reputation that is not entirely justified. Sure if you're eating a bunch of bread at every meal that is a lot of calories and carbs that might keep you from getting ideal nutrition from other sources, especially if you are counting calories like most of us here. For me it's a matter of limiting slightly. For example, I won't have toast in the AM, a sandwich for lunch, and garlic bread at dinner. I might have a piece of toast in the AM ***OR*** garlic bread at dinner. And have a salad, soup, or something entirely different for lunch. One or two pieces of bread some days, not all days. That's how I eat and it is working well for me but everyone has their own preferences. Do what works for you.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Strangely, when I have been eating bread I've never had an issue with it 'preventing' me from loosing weight, in fact it never affected me.

Here is your answer. If you want it then eat it. Demonizing certain foods without a medical reason only makes this process more difficult than necessary.
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested in answering this question, should refer to the book Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis:

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609614798/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406400341&sr=8-1&keywords=wheat+belly
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If you like bread, eat bread. I love my Whitewheat bread and eat between 1 and 4 slices a day, usually as sandwiches or cheese toast. My weight is coming off just fine, thanks, and I'm not convinced it would come off much faster if I didn't eat bread.

I agree that the long post that demonizes bread and fast food is generally nonsense, but I don't take exception to the suggestion to weigh daily. It works for some people. I thrive on routines, so I weigh every morning right after I use the bathroom and right before I test my blood glucose level. It helps keep me aware of trends, both up and down, although I only record whole-pound losses. There's nothing wrong with doing much of anything daily, as long as you're not obsessive over it.
  • PrimalSasha
    Options

Avoid alcohol.

Good luck.

Although I agree with this method (Keto/Low Carb) and it works wonderfully for me and others, one size of diet does not fit all people. Many people can lose weight without cutting carbs. Both ways work, we all just have to find out what works for us as individuals.
    I still watch calories as a marker and I would never weight myself every day, that gets me into obsessive behaviour.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I gave up bread back in the day when I strictly low carbed. I don't anymore but cravings for bread never returned. I rarely have it, I don't miss it, and my energy levels are perfect.

But it sounds like you enjoy bread, it energizes you and have no problem controlling your intake. Why did you give it up? Assuming that you don't have any insulin or blood sugar problems, it seems utterly pointless to abstain from bread.

This. I don't care about most bread (naan is an exception to this), and when I first started this I mostly didn't eat it because it was an easy and painless way for me to cut calories, although I didn't "cut it out," as I don't believe in creating unnecessary rules. I just rarely ate it. (Not entirely true--I did try doing a paleo-like diet for a couple of weeks to see if I felt better, and I didn't. I felt good, but no better than I do now.)

When I decided to up my calories a little, I decided that it made sense to eat sandwiches for lunch on occasion (sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes a burger too), because that was just easier, but if I wanted to cut calories back I'd almost certainly cut back on bread again because that's an easy way to do it for me, and I see no particular need to eat bread if you aren't that into it. From my perspective it's often a lot of calories without all that much that I can't get as well from some other source.

But this all assumes that you are like me and don't feel worse for not eating bread or particularly care about bread. If you do like or feel better eating bread--as it seems is the case--eat it. It's not bad for you unless you have a medical issue that it seems you don't have.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    if you're still eating pasta and potatoes whats the difference? they're all starchy carbs..but i don't think there's anything wrong with eating them.

Actually, yeah. Pasta in particular is basically the same as bread in all relevant nutritional respects I can think of.