HRM that works on Plus-size & in water

lasia221
lasia221 Posts: 19 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Currently I'm at 250; I hve fibromyalgia, an injured disc or two, acute tennis elbow and terrible knees. :) Find exercises that am able to do that don't kill my back and put me on sedentary + muscle relaxers is tough. Pretty much I've got deep-end water aerobics, and step aerobics (I use the Wii balance board bc I'm a beginner w bad knees, it's only 2" high, but I go faster than Wii says to).

Someone here said I should get a HRM for more accurate calories burned - but is there one that is able to work on a fat girl and in water? I worry not only that it simply wouldn't fit, but that it wouldn't be able to find my heartrate. I know that doctors have a lot of trouble with the electronic blood pressure cuffs reading my BP.

I appreciate the recommendations if you have any!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I believe the Polar F7 is water resistant.
  • Boy I could have written your post. I have severe arthritis, I have to get a knee replacement on my left knee. The arthritis is in every major jt in my body. So doing excercise is a real problem. But I have found the pool, it offers a wonderful way to lose some wt. Esp the fact that there is no pain in the pool. But keep plugging along
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    When I started losing weight, I was 260. The chest strap I have is elastic and adjustable and it will definitely fit you. The thing is I can't wear my chest strap in the water. I have a Precision brand hrm but I think there are Polars that are water resistant. But I also saw different size chest straps for Polars, so you might want to do some googling and see what you can find out about those. (or ask people here who have Polars....there's a wealthy of knowledge on this site :smile: )
  • I have a Polar HRM and I love it! It has an adjustable elastic chest strap that is very comfortable. I have used it with my Wii and was surprised to see my heart rate in the 120's with my Golds Gym workout. It really helped me because I can see that I am in my "zone" and I can try to keep it at that level to maintain the benefits!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    yes, Polar are waterproof, at least most models. I use my F6 in the pool all the time. The chest strap also come in different sizes. I would suggest getting one of the ones that is just the little square plastic piece in the front and not the long piece that goes across your chest. I am sure they come with elastic straps of all sizes, but it'd also be possible to cut them and sew in some extra elastic if needed. I think it might be more accurate with the smaller plate and maybe more comfortable. I know the F9 came with the nicer chests piece, but I think they have new numbering so you need to look at their website. I love my F6 though!
  • lasia221
    lasia221 Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for the answers so far!! I'm looking at the Polar site and WOW am I overwhelmed.

I assume the Water-resistant 30M means I'm ok to use it in the pool?

I'm not seeing photos of the body/chest strap thats included for these so I'm not sure if it's the smaller-plate one you guys are recommending.

Do these take your resting HR into account when determining what your goal HR should be? My resting HR is higher than normal, (in the upper 80s to low 90s)
This discussion has been closed.