please help

Options
my husband is tryin to lose weight now as well. YAY. problem is he drives a truck for a living so he cant heat anything up or anything. anybody got any ideas of what I could pack him for lunch that would b healthy? he is eating sandwhiches everyday. he is VERY over weight and a salad just wont hold him off :(
TIA

Replies

• short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Add ice packs to his lunch bag and add grilled or roasted chicken to the salad. I also add nuts to mine if I need to make a meal of it, but chicken especially is awesome.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My husband is also a truck driver and is on a weight loss journey. We make him chicken breasts, pork chops, and etc. (he likes them cold - which I think is gross, but he likes them so that's all that matters). We pack his lunch with the meat and he will eat that and he also drinks a protein shake sometimes. Also fresh veggies and fruits. Lots of water and he also likes herbal tea to add to the water sometimes.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I make soups and take them in a Thermos (a good one) if not being able to pull over is an issue, blend ALL soups and you can drink them nice and hot... and yes I do this with even homemade vegetable beef! Cook it, cool it, blend it... reheat and fill thermos.

They do also sell mini fridge's and little heat boxes/ovens for food that you plug into the cigarette lighter... look at a G.I. Joes or other Army Navy store and at West Marine (yep for boats) small investment and very worth it to save him.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    When it's cooler out, a thermos of soup, chili, or stew is nice. Or leftovers from the night before!
  • kcluvsky
    kcluvsky Posts: 3
    Options
    H! My husband also drives a truck for a living (He will tell you he is not a truck driver, he is a business man who owns a truck) He keeps saying he wants to lose weight as well, problem is, he has no self control If he wakes up in the middle of the night (which he usually does 2-3 times) and there is food on the truck, he eats it! I bought him a RoadPro 12-Volt Portable Stove from Amazon for less than $30 and you can buy the aluminum pans to put in them for $4.20 for a pack of three. It plugs into a cigarette lighter, or 12 volt inverter. He will take leftovers from home and store them in his cooler and heat them up in the stove. He also buys can goods he can warm up. Just a thought :wink:

Good luck!

(You can add me as a friend, I am not sure how to add people)
    KC
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just replicate what he prepares for himself?
  • Carlywiese
    Carlywiese Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese summer rolls, wrap shrimp, tuna, chicken whatever he likes with lots of veggies in rice paper wraps (available at most grocery stores in the Asian aisle) they are served cold with a dip, usually peanut sauce, so yummy easy to eat and lots of different varieties to try out :)

ETA: you can make a bunch at once, wrap them individually in a damp paper towel and then pop them all into a ziploc bag and just pull out a few when needed, they are good for a few days when stored this way.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    A bunch of really great suggestions.

I know it's a pain to start doing, but you're really going to have to look at the nutrition labelling on the foods - especially noting the serving sizes as that's where people often get tripped up thinking "1 serving" is much larger than it actually is.

Some thoughts on sandwiches since you mentioned them:

- Switch from white bread to a whole wheat bread or even a wheat tortilla to significantly cut down on calories and increase fiber
    - Watch the condiments. The devil is often in the details with many foods.
    - What's in the sandwiches? Look at the calorie content of what's between the slices of bread. Are there lower calorie/higher nutrient combinations that you could use instead?

I understand the desire to consume the food if it's right at hand. So then the choice is either to not have any food (not realistic) or to switch out those foods for something healthier/lower in calories. Since he's going to be the one eating them, talk with him or even take him grocery shopping to pick out snacks that will fill him up without packing on pounds.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches are totally fine. Just make it whole wheat bread and add veggies. That will fill him up more and give him some fiber. Baked chips are good too. My husband is not a truck driver, but he is a store manager and on his feet all the time. He works long days. He really likes having trail mix at work. You can find just about any kind of trail mix you want or you can make your own. The sweet and salty combo is yummy and nuts have good protein. If he's hungry and he's trying to wait until the next meal chewing gum or eating sunflower seeds is a good past time while driving.
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • kcluvsky
    kcluvsky Posts: 3
    Options
    Good morning! :flowerforyou:

How do I make a ticker like yours and others I have seen on here? I don't see an option to change it? Of course, I've always just used the app on my phone. I just recently started using MFP online,

Have a great day! :happy:
    KC
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Good morning! :flowerforyou:

How do I make a ticker like yours and others I have seen on here? I don't see an option to change it? Of course, I've always just used the app on my phone. I just recently started using MFP online,

Have a great day! :happy:
    KC

Go to your profile page. Look at the options listed on the right - where your weight loss is shown. You can add the ticker or edit it there.