I want to be stronger!

Options
So here's where I stand... I've done the running thing, as so many other women do, and I completed a 5-mile race in May. Now I want to start lifting, mainly because I've seen all the amazing results on here and I'd like to give it a try. My problem is that I'm currently a member at Planet Fitness, where the free weight section consists of a bunch of dumbbells and a bench press that's usually surrounded by a group of thuggy guys who always seem to work out together and just rotate on the bench. Up until now, I've been content with PF because I stuck to the weight machines and never gave the free weight section a second thought. After seeing what heavy, compound lifting can do, I've done a little research and the Stronglifts 5x5 program seems like something I could see myself getting into. Problem is, the gyms in my area that would allow me to actually do barbell exercises (squats, deadlifts, etc) would cost me $50-$60 per month, and I just can't justify it at this point in time. So, what, if anything, will I be able to accomplish with dumbbells, weight machines, and/or body weight exercises? I know I'd have to join a "real" gym at some point, but I don't even know where to start with what I have access to now. Please help!!!

TL;DR - Member of Planet Fitness, want to start some sort of lifting routine, "real" gyms with barbells are too expensive for me to justify right now. What can I do with PF's dumbbells and weight machines?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You can do Stronglifts with dumbbells. Instead of the squat, do dumbbell squats (wide stance, narrow stance, goblet squat, etc). Personally i think they're more functional than the back squat, since we tend to carry things in our hands, not on our back. :wink:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at small independent gyms - don't know about where you are but here, they are often cheaper. Or even buying your own equipment, as 5x5 starts light, you can buy stuff gradually.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You can do bench press,overhead press, and rows with dumbbells. That's not a problem at all. Some people have a preference for one over the other. Others decide to alternate between the two every few months.

Use what you've got. So if it's the dumbbells then go with them. You'll definitely make good progress.