What are your Fitness Goals?

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
Sometimes, I feel strong. Sometimes, I feel like I'm kind of badass. Then, I'll take a yoga class and I'm humbled immediately, and realize I need to put some energy into flexibility.

Other times, someone might invite to a Pilates class. As a heavy lifter, I scoff and laugh at the idea. How silly. Sure, of course I'll go, and I'll teach you a couple things about what strength really means. Then, during the class, I'm dying and can't finish. Lol.

A friend was talking a lot about triathlons. So, I tried to do one, and almost drowned during the swimming part. I do consider myself a very strong swimmer, as a surfer. But, in the context of a triathlon, it's different. So, again, humbled.

I guess, my goal is to be all-around badass. I know that's really hard and probably not achievable, but I want to be ready for anything. Kind of like a navy seal or something. Strength is my main thing. I enjoy it a lot. But, I also like to do a bunch of other activities too. And, I like feeling like I can swim 5 miles, run a marathon, Deadlift a small car, or twist into a pretzel.

So, that's my goal. Not too lofty, just the ability to do anything at anytime. Lol.

What are your goals?

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure i've set out any real, tangible goals. I really like how running makes me feel. and long runs in particular. i don't really have any sort of goal to run a full marathon. for some reason that doesn't interest me at all. i have no doubt i could do it, but i don't feel i need to.

i would like to increase my overall strength one day. be it with slowly incorporating weights, or getting back into a more regular yoga routine - so i guess more body weight strength stuff. and, speaking of yoga, my flexibility could always definitely use work.

but, i'm pretty content right now. i could just continue with only my running and be happy - trimming my weight down a bit as i go.
  • yummyboogereaterr
    yummyboogereaterr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My fitness goal is to earn my Spartan Trifecta next year. It's giving me motivation to keep going and it will be a tangible way to see how far I've come and how gar I'd like to go in the future.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    To run 10k. I have done the C25K program and am now on B210k.
    Stef.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    To be fitter, have more cardio endurance and continue to improve my recovery rate. At the moment I'm not overly interested in strength (although I do the odd body weight routine to maintain my muscle whilst losing weight), or flexibility (although I do have very tight hamstrings).

My current aim: be able to swim 25m front crawl strongly. (Usually my legs give up halfway through and sort of just flap about).
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    My current goal is to get below parallel on my squats!
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Look mean, build some dense mass, be able to do muscle ups and deadlift at least 2.5 my body weight.
  • mf0u1098
    mf0u1098 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like the OP's abvious delight in trying new things! I should be more like that instead of being too shy or cautious.

My fitness goals?

1) Well I'm down for running the Manchester Marathon in 2016 with a friend. (I ran a half marathon in 2007)
    2) Get rid of my bingo wings, my arms are my worst feature and I hate seeing them in photos, they look so big and flabby
    3) It's on my bucketlist to do 100 manly press ups one day...
    4) Definitely sort my core out so my back pain is gone once and for all, there is a great Pilates class near me so I need to join!
  • SinCityFit
    SinCityFit Posts: 96
    Options
    World Domination.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Mid-term: 3xBW Deadlift.

Long-term: 1 arm pull up

Long-long-term: Stave off muscle and bone tissue losses as I head through my 40's and beyond and hopefully stay powerful and vital as long as I can.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    To become proficient at boxing.
    To run a few more 5ks. (Did my first today and came in 1st of the females).
    Maintain cardiovascular fitness to continue to prevent my COPD progressing.
    Maintain my low bodyfat.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    My fitness goal for this year is to swim 300 miles total.
    I am currently at 215 miles YTD
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I set different goals all the time. This summer I ran 3 obstacle races (still recovering from the Spartan Run I did yesterday ouch). Did a powerlifting comp last weekend (won my class). Next thing I'm training for is my APFT in October. Then it's back to powerlifting mode for another comp in December. Next summer I'm going to train for and compete in a mens physique show.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So, that's my goal. Not too lofty, just the ability to do anything at anytime. Lol.

You pretty much summed it up for me...

But more specifically, right now I"m really trying to get out of my cat 5 USAC license and into a cat 4 for cyclocross.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    My fitness goal is to earn my Spartan Trifecta next year. It's giving me motivation to keep going and it will be a tangible way to see how far I've come and how gar I'd like to go in the future.

^ this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    As I near my 50th birthday? My goals are to maintain my strength and flexibility, and be able to run when I'm in my 70s.

ps: loved your comments about yoga and Pilates.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Just saw this. I'm going to probably do it next year too. Did the sprint yesterday 4.5 miles course in Maryland was pretty tough.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

This year, a 1hr50 half marathon, injury free. Given a history of knee and ankle surgery I'll see how that works out before looking to improve again next year. I do seem at the moment to have a hard limit before I start getting knee and ankle pain, but that might improve as my legs strengthen.

Other than that, try to get some more consistency in my cycle and swimming training.
  • RachelWithoutAPaddle
    RachelWithoutAPaddle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

I kayak and these are my current times are goals:

My current 5km time is 1:04:33. My goal is 1:00:00.
    My fastest 1km was 11:43. My next goal is 11:00.
    My fastest 1 mile is 19:32. My next goal is 19:00.
    I paddled 5 miles in 1:57:50, averaging 23:30 per mile.

:D
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i want to look muscular without flexing. im very healthy and fit already so that is my next goal